The case for CZ and other diamond substitutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The case for CZ and other diamond substitutes

The older I get, the more I eschew diamonds in favor of other gemstones or diamond substitutes, which include synthetic diamonds and also diamond simulants as opposed to mined diamonds. I'm throwing up this placeholder until I get around to my post. It will outline the case for and against diamonds, and cover diamond substitutes. Hopefully, I'll get this done by Black Friday.
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 11-15-2014, 06:36 AM.

Looking forward to this!
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

following
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Frontline has produced two very good docs on the diamond industry: "The Diamond Empire" and "The Diamond Deception". Check them out.
        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
          Frontline has produced two very good docs on the diamond industry: "The Diamond Empire" and "The Diamond Deception". Check them out.
          Yep. I can't remember which one it was, but it's the reason I don't buy diamonds.

Well, I don't buy diamond-only jewelry. I buy other precious stones which may or may not have small diamonds. As long as they are tiny my conscience is clear.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

Also, the movie Blood Diamond. Leo has a great accent in that one.

Comment

Will you be touching at all on Neil Diamond? Because for my money, it doesn't get much better than when an entire piano bar is singing along to "Sweet Caroline."

Comment

How are you liking Neil Diamond's new album, Melody Road? Did you know that SiriusXM was playing Neil 24/7 from 10/11 to 11/11? When it ended last Tuesday, darkness crept back into my heart. Now channel 147 is playing Xmas music. FML.
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                  Will you be touching at all on Neil Diamond? Because for my money, it doesn't get much better than when an entire piano bar is singing along to "Sweet Caroline."
                  I think he's a diamond stimulant, instead of a diamond simulant.

Comment

No offense but you don't even buy your dream sneakers that are being cleared out on woot. You aren't eschewing any diamonds in any context. Knock it off.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

How are you liking Neil Diamond's new album, Melody Road? Did you know that SiriusXM was playing Neil 24/7 from 10/11 to 11/11? When it ended last Tuesday, darkness crept back into my heart. Now channel 147 is playing Xmas music. FML.
                      I did know that. Although my Neil knowledge doesn't go deep into his catalog so if often flip over and then flip somewhere else. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would listen to E Street Radio. There really are people that don't think Bruce Springsteen sucks? I thought Springsteen music only served as a punchline.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        I did know that. Although my Neil knowledge doesn't go deep into his catalog so if often flip over and then flip somewhere else. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would listen to E Street Radio. There really are people that don't think Bruce Springsteen sucks? I thought Springsteen music only served as a punchline.
                        Bruce has enjoyed a resurgence in popularity thanks to hipsters who like to mix his music with Arcade Fire. A dangerous road to go down.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                          The older I get, the more I eschew diamonds in favor of other gemstones or diamond substitutes, which include synthetic diamonds and also diamond simulants as opposed to mined diamonds. I'm throwing up this placeholder until I get around to my post. It will outline the case for and against diamonds, and cover diamond substitutes. Hopefully, I'll get this done by Black Friday.
                          I am going to put the link to this interesting looking article here that I saw until I have more time to read it... I like the title:

Diamonds Are Bullshit
                          http://blog.priceonomics.com/post/45...s-are-bullshit

Maybe someone could read it and post a summary?
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            I am going to put the link to this interesting looking article here that I saw until I have more time to read it... I like the title:

DeBeers, through the greatest marketing campaign known to mankind, created an artificial need for all engagements to be accompanied by diamonds.
                            “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                              DeBeers, through the greatest marketing campaign known to mankind, created an artificial need for all engagements to be accompanied by diamonds.
                              I found one of the linked articles interesting. It's written by a woman and asks why the practice of diamond engagement rings has persisted in American culture despite the increasing trends of feminism and egalitarianism:
                              Diamonds Are a Girl's Worst Friend
                              But it's also the case that a murkier truth lies within its brilliance: Women still measure their worth in relationship to marriage in ways that men don't. And many are looking for men who will bear the burden of providing for them, while demanding equality in other ways.
                              http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...st_friend.html
                              “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                              "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Working...
                              X