Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will you serve a Senior Mission for the LDS Church?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do we have to know about polygamy?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

I would love to serve a mission with my wife. I am not sure she will want to go.
      One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
      SU

Comment

The wife said she doesn't want to do it and I picture my retired life of just living in shorts and flip flops and only changing into something else when I go for a ride or go golfing. I could never put on one of those name tags again, I hated that part of it. I'm lucky I didn't go later on when they were required to wear them on their coats, their gym clothes, on P day, in the shower, in bed and everywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
          I voted yes because my wife wants to. If it's like anything else, I'm sure she'll bug me until I say yes. I'd rather say yes to a mission than to getting a dog.
          This literally made me lol. I have been playing heavy defense with my wife regarding a dog. At this point I'd rather go on a mission than get a dog as well. Although I didn't do a mission the first time so maybe I don't know what I'm in for.

Comment

My wife wants to go, so in 20 years we will probably go. I could see doing what my parents are currently doing; living in France in a beautiful area and visiting about 1 family a day. They also do apartment inspections, so they drive all over the Loire valley and Brittany and stay in B&Bs and visit chateaus.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              My wife wants to go, so in 20 years we will probably go. I could see doing what my parents are currently doing; living in France in a beautiful area and visiting about 1 family a day. They also do apartment inspections, so they drive all over the Loire valley and Brittany and stay in B&Bs and visit chateaus.
              In my first mission the apartment inspections were serious stuff. You had to leave the apartment for at least 45 minutes to allow for inspection, then you would return to an apartment filled with passive aggressive sticky notes placed all over your apartment. "Is the floor an appropriate place for the garment of the priesthood?" "Would Jesus leave dishes in the sink?" were a couple of good ones I remember but my all time favorite was "Thr Lord loves a clean toilet!". I really wish I'd have kept some of these.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                In my first mission the apartment inspections were serious stuff. You had to leave the apartment for at least 45 minutes to allow for inspection, then you would return to an apartment filled with passive aggressive sticky notes placed all over your apartment. "Is the floor an appropriate place for the garment of the priesthood?" "Would Jesus leave dishes in the sink?" were a couple of good ones I remember but my all time favorite was "Thr Lord loves a clean toilet!". I really wish I'd have kept some of these.
                I cant remember a time that my mission did apartment inspections. Lucky me.
                ( FYI I most likely wrote that incoherently and will be properly corrected forthwith. Thanks)

Comment

Makes me glad it was MP's wife who found my Jean Michel Jarre cassette tape. She just gave me a look of pity.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Wait a minute. You aren't making this up? Apartment inspections are a real thing?
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Me too! Me and the Lord are basically just like each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Y84it View Post
                        I cant remember a time that my mission did apartment inspections. Lucky me.
                        We didn't get the sticky notes, but had three levels: Gold, Silver, and Poor (no, not bronze). I got a silver once because the APs gave me the heads up that we were getting inspected, but otherwise, I got "poor." It had a pre-printed message that said, "This apartment needs immediate attention. The Spirit of the Lord cannot dwell here." It always made me sad.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Wait a minute. You aren't making this up? Apartment inspections are a real thing?
                        No. They called a local couple on an apartment-inspecting mission. They spent three days a week travelling the mission to inspect apartments.
                        Last edited by Green Monstah; 11-14-2014, 07:54 AM.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

I kind of wish we would have had aparment inspections so I could leave my own notes

Yes you are seeing it right this apartment does not have a fridge
                          The stench is not the devil farting... its everybody burning their garbage and used toilet paper in their yards.
                          the garbage can in the shower is for when the water turns back on so we can save some for showers and flushing the toilet
                          "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Ha ha. Apartment inspections! That's rich. Never had an apartment inspection my whole mission. And no we didn't have maids, but I did have rats in one apartment.

I do remember one crazy native sister missionary who arrived at the sister's apartment late at night as part of a transfer, and then spent the whole night cleaning the apartment. Those sister's didn't get along very well.
                            Last edited by Sullyute; 11-14-2014, 08:36 AM.
                            "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                              My sister and her husband are in Cambodia on a genealogy mission. What started as a fun thing to do when you turn 60, has turned into a test of endurance they never anticipated. They can't wait to come home, and put the nightmare behind them.
                              I know some folks that served in that part of the world. They were robbed three times. The last time they took their laptop and digital camera including all the memory cards. They said that was most likely a good thing given the pictures they lost would most likely bring up bad memories.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                                My sister and her husband are in Cambodia on a genealogy mission. What started as a fun thing to do when you turn 60, has turned into a test of endurance they never anticipated. They can't wait to come home, and put the nightmare behind them.
                                That actually sounds great. What is nightmarish about it (if you don't mind the nosy question)?
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                                X