Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The radical volte-face of the Catholic Church on social issues under Pope Francis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The radical volte-face of the Catholic Church on social issues under Pope Francis

As much as our Church doctrine is changing, I am fascinated with Pope Francis's volte-face on many positions near and dear to the Vatican's (meaning, Catholic leadership's) preciously held social and religious positions. We have heard Francis' indictments of corporate greed, his welcoming of LGBTs to the Fold, his ultra liberal (at least by Catholic leadership's standards) positions on everything from the environment to the responsibilities of wealthy nations. We know he is a humble man who eschews any sumptuousness in his own personal life.

Because he seems so charitable and kind, I thought he would not be able to wield enough power to maintain his position in the college (whatever it is called), but he's succeeding in ousting hyper conservative american Cardinal Raymond Burke from any positions of power. That's like TSM ousting BKP from the Q12. It's been called the most explosive shakeup in recent Catholic Church history.

I've no doubt that this Pope would encourage the BSA to welcome LGBT leaders and scouts. We may be on our own in the very near future, on Scouting as well as on other conservative issues that Catholic clergy (as opposed to regular worshippers) held dear. I wonder if the fight will be protracted and public. I wonder if this will cause catholics to go back to church or continue to stray, the way vast members of every organized religion are doing right now.

It has been fascinating to watch. I love his style.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

we should merge this with the other Pope thread we have about his changed position on gays and more recently on evolution.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I hate to admit this, but there is one thing that SoonerCoug and I agree on, which is... automatic "emeritus" standing when FP/Q12 member reaches a certain age. Pope Benedict was 85 when he resigned citing a "lack of strength of mind and body" allegedly due to his advanced age. (FYI: Monson, Packer, Perry, Nelson, Ballard, and Scott > 85.)
        Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 11-11-2014, 11:27 AM.
        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/articl...arriage-summit

Comment

Eyring looks like a groupie; we need cool uniforms to bring some gravitas.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
              Eyring looks like a groupie; we need cool uniforms to bring some gravitas.
              I wonder how they would do in a boxing match? Eyring has the reach but the pope has got the mass (ba-da-boom!).
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Eyring addressed the body earlier today. He presented evidence that a man and a woman (women?!) united in marriage is the road to happiness. He then spends the next 12 minutes talking about how his marriage to a woman has made him incredibly happy. (Spoiler alert: he gets a little teary.) He does a fantastic job building the case for marriage. Not so much in building the case for only "traditional marriage."

Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 11-18-2014, 04:07 PM.
                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
                  X