No announcement yet.

Taylor Swift: America's Cultural Colossus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The album is a "pop masterclass" -- the reviews are in. Surprised? It became the best selling album in 2017 in one hour. On iTunes alone 800,000 copies in one hour. No artist has ever had four consecutive albums sell 1 million copies. Heck, no artist has ever had that happen with three albums. Taylor is Secretariat pulling away from everyone else at the Belmont Stakes. She's the surest cultural bet we've got. And has been for years. Enjoy her continued reign, folks.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      currently waiting in line at borders for my copy
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Levin View Post
        The album is a "pop masterclass" -- the reviews are in. Surprised? It became the best selling album in 2017 in one hour. On iTunes alone 800,000 copies in one hour. No artist has ever had four consecutive albums sell 1 million copies. Heck, no artist has ever had that happen with three albums. Taylor is Secretariat pulling away from everyone else at the Belmont Stakes. She's the surest cultural bet we've got. And has been for years. Enjoy her continued reign, folks.
        Did you just compare her to a horse?

Are you claiming that no one else like, say, the Beatles, had 4 consecutive albums sell over a million copies? I doubt thats correct.
        Last edited by creekster; 11-10-2017, 12:19 PM.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post

Are you claiming that no one else like, say, the Beatles, didnt have 4 consecutive albums sell over a million copies? I doubt thats correct.
          Were it not for some middle-aged men here and on Facebook that are obsessed with such things, I would have had no idea Ms. Swift dropped another album. Swift has dropped off both my 12- and 14-yo girl's radars. Sad!

Anecdotally, the kids are out of school today and have been assigned some jobs around the yard to do. When my wife discovered that not much progress has been made, I was assigned to collect their phones to remove the distraction and (in theory) get them back on task. When I requested my 14-yo's phone she bemoaned that she was only using it to listen to music. I took a look at the device to see if she really was just using it for music (she was) and discovered she was listening to the Beatles Abbey Road album. I let her keep the phone. I still have some influence on her, thank God. #winning
          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
            Were it not for some middle-aged men here and on Facebook that are obsessed with such things, I would have had no idea Ms. Swift dropped another album. Swift has dropped off both my 12- and 14-yo girl's radars. Sad!

Anecdotally, the kids are out of school today and have been assigned some jobs around the yard to do. When my wife discovered that not much progress has been made, I was assigned to collect their phones to remove the distraction and (in theory) get them back on task. When I requested my 14-yo's phone she bemoaned that she was only using it to listen to music. I took a look at the device to see if she really was just using it for music (she was) and discovered she was listening to the Beatles Abbey Road album. I let her keep the phone. I still have some influence on her, thank God. #winning
            Did you exclaim "Oh! Darling"?
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Are you claiming that no one else like, say, the Beatles, didnt have 4 consecutive albums sell over a million copies? I doubt thats correct.
              She is comparable to rear end of the horse.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Are you claiming that no one else like, say, the Beatles, had 4 consecutive albums sell over a million copies? I doubt thats correct.
                https://www.spin.com/2014/11/taylor-...es-first-week/

And perhaps most impressively, 1989’s opening bow makes Taylor the only artist in Soundscan history to move a million in a first week three separate times — let alone to do it three times in a row, with bigger numbers earch time.

It’s hard to put the singer/songwriter’s commercial accomplishments in proper perspective, but think of it this way: Remember around the turn of the century, when Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were breaking previously unbeatable single-season home-run records with disturbing regularity? And since then, how with the end of the steroid era and with changes in pitching rules and a whole bunch of other stuff, the home-run totals have sloped precipitously downward? Well, Taylor Swift is coming around and still smacking 65-70 dingers a year, in a time when nobody else can even break 40. She might need to be the first artist ever investigated for chart-performance-enhancing drugs.

Comment

• The first in Soundscan history!! Thats very impressive given that Sound scan has been around for, what, maybe ten years? Maybe? Any updated article there, btw?

But I know you're very excited about Swifty, so please enjoy yourself. My daughter was just like you...when she was 12.

edit: I looked. Soundscan has been around since 1991. Woo-hoo!
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Does she have clout goggles?
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• What the hell is your problem, man?
                      Last edited by New Mexican Disaster; 11-10-2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• Levin, ignore these haters!
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Levin, ignore these haters!
                          Haters? Not me. I think she is fine, although it is odd a man Levin's age would get so excited about it. I just dont think she is all that and a bag of chips, musically speaking.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                            What the hell is your problem?
                            Levin might suffer from Judge Moore Syndrome, as he was fixated on Britney Speers when she first started performing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Levin View Post
                              https://www.spin.com/2014/11/taylor-...es-first-week/And perhaps most impressively, 1989’s opening bow makes Taylor the only artist in Soundscan history to move a million in a first week three separate times — let alone to do it three times in a row, with bigger numbers earch time.

It’s hard to put the singer/songwriter’s commercial accomplishments in proper perspective, but think of it this way: Remember around the turn of the century, when Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were breaking previously unbeatable single-season home-run records with disturbing regularity? And since then, how with the end of the steroid era and with changes in pitching rules and a whole bunch of other stuff, the home-run totals have sloped precipitously downward? Well, Taylor Swift is coming around and still smacking 65-70 dingers a year, in a time when nobody else can even break 40. She might need to be the first artist ever investigated for chart-performance-enhancing drugs.
                              T Swift is juicing!
                              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Levin, ignore these haters!
                                Missed opportunity, use this as a learning experience and be better in the future.

BDA210C2-83A2-46A0-8141-636F13828968.jpg
                                Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                                X