Taylor Swift: America's Cultural Colossus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Were it not for some middle-aged men here and on Facebook that are obsessed with such things, I would have had no idea Ms. Swift dropped another album. Swift has dropped off both my 12- and 14-yo girl's radars. Sad!

Anecdotally, the kids are out of school today and have been assigned some jobs around the yard to do. When my wife discovered that not much progress has been made, I was assigned to collect their phones to remove the distraction and (in theory) get them back on task. When I requested my 14-yo's phone she bemoaned that she was only using it to listen to music. I took a look at the device to see if she really was just using it for music (she was) and discovered she was listening to the Beatles Abbey Road album. I let her keep the phone. I still have some influence on her, thank God. #winning
    Driving in the car today, 14-yo daughter in the passenger seat... after about 10 minutes of silence:
    [me] hey.... hey [pokes daughter's leg]... hey!
    [14yo] what?! [pokes me back]
    [me] What are you listening to?
    [14yo] Van Halen's album 1984.
    [me somewhat shocked] Really? Let me see. [checks] Dang. That came out when I was your age.
    [14yo returns to staring out the window listening to Van Halen]
    [me] hey... [pokes daughter's leg again]
    [14yo] WHAT?!
    [me] Did you like Taylor Swift's new album?
    [14yo] She released a new album? I thought it was just a single.
    [me shrugging] Maybe I heard wrong.
    [14yo returns to staring out the window]
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Driving in the car today, 14-yo daughter in the passenger seat... after about 10 minutes of silence:
      [me somewhat shocked] Really? Let me see. [checks] Dang. That came out when I was your age.
      [14yo] WHAT?!
      :rockon1:

The first Van Halen concert I went to was their 1984 tour.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

[14yo] WHAT?!
        That is kind of like my 15 year old daughter. I walked by her room the other night and she was listening to AC/DC's Who made who?

Comment

[14yo] WHAT?!
          That's a great story.

My kids were all well trained in classic rock. When any song came on, they could almost always name the band. When a Van Halen song came on they could not only name the band, but after listening a bit they could state whether the vocals were David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            That's a great story.

My kids were all well trained in classic rock. When any song came on, they could almost always name the band. When a Van Halen song came on they could not only name the band, but after listening a bit they could state whether the vocals were David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar.
            I do a similar thing with the kids. There are bands that I hope that they can recognize even if they have never heard the song before: Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, The Who, Queen, Journey, U2, and probably a few others I can't think of right now. The older two are pretty good at the name the classic rock band game; the youngest one doesn't give a shit.

However, I insist that my kids (all born in the Seattle area) be able to recognize any Seattle(-area) band... from the more well-known stuff like Hendrix, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Foo Fighters, Macklemore to the relatively obscure like Death Cab for Cutie, Modest Mouse, and Fleet Foxes. Same goes for bands with LDS members: Imagine Dragons, The Killers, et al. If a song by a band from the Seattle(-area) or with an LDS member comes on the radio, you CANNOT change the channel / skip the song until it is over. (Yes, this requires we all suffer through Pearl Jam's "Last Kiss".)
            Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 11-15-2017, 09:28 PM.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

I do a similar thing with the kids. There are bands that I hope that they can recognize even if they have never heard the song before: Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, The Who, Queen, Journey, U2, and probably a few others I can't think of right now. The older two are pretty good at the name the classic rock band game; the youngest one doesn't give a shit.

However, I insist that my kids (all born in the Seattle area) be able to recognize any Seattle(-area) band... from the more well-known stuff like Hendrix, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Foo Fighters, Macklemore to the relatively obscure like Death Cab for Cutie, Modest Mouse, and Fleet Foxes. Same goes for bands with LDS members: Imagine Dragons, The Killers, et al. If a song by a band from the Seattle(-area) or with an LDS member comes on the radio, you CANNOT change the channel / skip the song until it is over. (Yes, this requires we all suffer through Pearl Jam's "Last Kiss".)
              Seems a little harsh.

Comment

• Do you have a Google search for your name saved? Mine comes up in this article from the NY Post.

Taylor Swift’s terrifying stalker history: from deadly love letters to break-ins

NY Post.jpg

Comment

• Can we all just accept now that Levin was right that Taylor Swift is America's Collusus?
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                    Can we all just accept now that Levin was right that Taylor Swift is America's Collusus?
                    I’m not sure about that, but her new album slaps.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Any Nevadans going to the T Swift concert tonight or tomorrow? Hoping for a banger tonight.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• My son is down there with a bunch of friends. He's going tonight.
                        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                          My son is down there with a bunch of friends. He's going tonight.
                          Hope he liked it. It was pretty epic, clocking in at over 3 hours.
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• My wife really wanted to go see Taylor Swift but the prices were too outrageous. So, she puts "taylor swift tickets" on her vision board.

The next day a friend texts her and asks if she wants to go to the Taylor Swift show in Dallas. Free ticket. Fully stocked suite. With a free stay at a nice hotel.

Her vision board is strong. Very strong.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                              My wife really wanted to go see Taylor Swift but the prices were too outrageous. So, she puts "taylor swift tickets" on her vision board.

The next day a friend texts her and asks if she wants to go to the Taylor Swift show in Dallas. Free ticket. Fully stocked suite. With a free stay at a nice hotel.

Her vision board is strong. Very strong.
                              Whoa. It’s an Eras miracle!
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• I’m certain I’m “out of touch” but what is a vision board?

Comment

Working...
                                X