X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I'm looking for a great restaurant in the Boise area
    lol knock it off
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

You should totally acquaint yourself with the community.
      I knew about that. I've just never felt the need to eat their food.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Attached Files
        Last edited by creekster; 08-11-2015, 05:38 PM.

Comment

The meal so nice you attached it twice
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

omg....is that chicken breasts and red bell peppers in a skillet???
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

If you're in L.A. and get a chance you should go here for lunch.

https://www.kcet.org/food-living/the...ource=facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Not vacation, but I'll be in Austin thurs/Fri this week. Ted, JL, or anyone else: I would appreciate a couple restaurant recommendations. I haven't been to Austin in nearly 20 years. My hotel is near the Capitol.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                  Not vacation, but I'll be in Austin thurs/Fri this week. Ted, JL, or anyone else: I would appreciate a couple restaurant recommendations. I haven't been to Austin in nearly 20 years. My hotel is near the Capitol.
                  Bump.

I'm going to be in Austin next week. I've never been there before. Any recommendations? Like Omaha, my hotel is downtown near the capitol.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                    Bump.

I'm going to be in Austin next week. I've never been there before. Any recommendations? Like Omaha, my hotel is downtown near the capitol.
                    The dude gave me some recs when I was down there. For BBQ he suggested Black's, Franklin, or La Barbecue. Franklin is walkable from the Capitol but you have to wait all morning to get in. The other two are a little farther away. I wasnt able to try any of them because I had too much meat at the meetings I was attending.

Instead I opted for Torchy's, a gourmet taco place he recommended. There are a few locations. It was very good and I will go again next time I am there.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      The dude gave me some recs when I was down there. For BBQ he suggested Black's, Franklin, or La Barbecue. Franklin is walkable from the Capitol but you have to wait all morning to get in. The other two are a little farther away. I wasnt able to try any of them because I had too much meat at the meetings I was attending.

Instead I opted for Torchy's, a gourmet taco place he recommended. There are a few locations. It was very good and I will go again next time I am there.
                      lol. Knock if off, JL. You might as well send them over to Chili Parlor and the Cloak Room and tell them to wear a Keep Austin Weird shirt while they're in town.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                        lol. Knock if off, JL. You might as well send them over to Chili Parlor and the Cloak Room and tell them to wear a Keep Austin Weird shirt while they're in town.
                        And the bats. Don't forget the bats.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                          But the tacos were delicious!

Comment

A few follow-up thoughts after 3 days in Austin:

Babs recommended the food trucks. We ate food trucks on 3 of the 4 meals we ate outside the conference. They were great. I'm glad we (mostly) took Babs' recommendations to skip the restaurants and stick with the food trucks. Especially this breakfast taco truck we found over by the Quickie Pickie, can't remember the name, that was pretty dang good.

Austin has a really odd hipster/country vibe going. I call it "hillbilly hipster" and doubtless I'm not the first person to come up with that phrase. Sometimes it seems like the city is trying a bit too hard on the hillbilly hipster thing. The combo bike/coffee shop that also serves breakfast tacos, run by a white dude with super-long dreadlocks? That got a big eye roll from me. Bonus: It was right down the street from the CBD oil shop.

I'm amazed at how many BBQ joints there are around town. The brisket we had at Micklethwaits was really good. One of my pieces was really, really fatty, which I don't prefer, but the leaner piece was melt-in-your-mouth tender and the flavor was great. The sausage was very good too but it wasn't "oh my gosh this is so amazing I've got to call my Mom!" good. We did walk down 6th street one night to this restaurant: https://ironcactus.com/ The made-at-your-table guacamole was good but other than that it seemed like dozens of other Mexican place I've eaten at.

Another night we walked over to "hipster heaven", otherwise known as Rainey Street, and found the Via 313 food truck there that served some pretty dang good thick-crust pizza. Everyone was drizzling honey on their pepperoni pizza which I thought was very odd, until I tried it. It turns out the honey and pepperoni combo works really well. I'll give the hipsters credit where credit is due.

The Lime/Bird scooters were all over the place. A group of us took scooters back from hipster heaven to the hotel and what was a 20 minute walk turned into a 5 minute ride. But I honestly don't see how the business model will work for these companies long term when it comes to liability and insurance. There is a big billboard in Austin for a lawyer that says "Injured on a rented scooter? Call me!". Obviously the scooters aren't Austin-specific but I threw this in because it was a part of the trip.

It was cloudy/rainy the whole time we were there. There were lots of Formula One racing fans in town but the appeal of F1 racing is lost on me. Overall it was a fun trip and I wouldn't mind going back to Austin again. Breakfast tacos are a thing. A very good thing.

Comment

So I got these reservations up shortly:
                              Paris: Chez L'Ami Jean, Le Caveau de la Huchette (worried about this one ever since LaLa Land)
                              England: Sketch-Glade, Dishoom, Duck & Waffle, Brasserie Zedel, Sally Lunn's Historic Eating House

Please let me know if any of these are too touristy

Comment

So I got these reservations up shortly:
                                Paris: Chez L'Ami Jean, Le Caveau de la Huchette (worried about this one ever since LaLa Land)
                                England: Sketch-Glade, Dishoom, Duck & Waffle, Brasserie Zedel, Sally Lunn's Historic Eating House

Please let me know if any of these are too touristy
                                Too touristy for what?
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X