Church pulling out of the marriage business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
    I hadn't thought of that angle. Horrible news indeed. Few things worse than funerals and weddings, IMO.
    for logistical reasons, the new standard convention is going to be two weddings in a single day or back to back over two days. mormons are too cheap to travel twice for the same event or rent a tuxedo for more than one weekend.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      So, word on the fb street is that in December, the church will announce that starting January 2015, a couple will need to present a marriage certificate to be sealed in the temple. In other words, get married civilly first, then go get sealed, no waiting period.

I know, consider the source, but the recent gay marriage legislation makes me want to believe it this time. Well, I've wanted to believe it for a while--there's nothing Christian about cutting out non believing parents from witnessing their child's wishing--but there is a little more reason for hope. Obviously, they've been doing it this way for years in Europe, so there is nothing doctrinal preventing it.
      This has been floating around since earlier this year and I've seen it from multiple sources (including PFS, I think). I tend to think it is true, and it's an excellent change.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
        No more receptions at the ward house? Cheap Mormons (read most Mormons) would be up in arms.
        I am definitely one of those. I have 4 flipping daughters. I pay tithing I should get a free reception 4 times. Not to mention attending 2 weddings everytime!
        ( FYI I most likely wrote that incoherently and will be properly corrected forthwith. Thanks)

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          for logistical reasons, the new standard convention is going to be two weddings in a single day or back to back over two days. mormons are too cheap to travel twice for the same event or rent a tuxedo for more than one weekend.
          So a civil wedding followed by some sort of celebration and then the sealing followed by another celebration? My guess is you will get some sort of church accepted, if not authorized civil marriage mill near each temple. That way people could roll up, get eh civil license, head to the temple, get sealed and then to the reception. It will all be the same day without extra expense but for the civil license ceremony.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I'm guessing there are going to be a lot of zero-fanfare courthouse jabs with a quick ride over to the temple. Traditional mormon families will still make the sealing the occasion to attend.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I wonder if they are going to do the same thing they do in some of the foreign countries. The temple president asks you if you have consummated the marriage and if the answer is yes, you get to wait 12 months before you are sealed.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                So a civil wedding followed by some sort of celebration and then the sealing followed by another celebration? My guess is you will get some sort of church accepted, if not authorized civil marriage mill near each temple. That way people could roll up, get eh civil license, head to the temple, get sealed and then to the reception. It will all be the same day without extra expense but for the civil license ceremony.
                This policy has been in place for may years in countries where temple marriage doesn't satisfy the law. In South Africa a couple would get married civilly, usually in their home town, and then they had a week to get to the Joburg Temple to get sealed. Yes the usually consummated the civil marriage before they hit the temple.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                  i have seen various versions of this for the last few months on other places. One version said that chapels will no longer be allowed to hold any marriage activities (i.e. no more mormon meeting house receptions). It will be interesting if it actually comes to past and what new mormon marriage cultures will be created or pushed.
                  Originally posted by USUC View Post
                  No more receptions at the ward house? Cheap Mormons (read most Mormons) would be up in arms.
                  Pretty sure that is already the policy in my Texas stake. Once when I was in a stake public relations church meeting we were asked to brain storm about different activities that would invite the non-Mormon public into LDS chapels. I metioned allowing Mormon weddings and receptions in ward chapels since weddings were the most frequent occassion that I visited other churches. I didn't get a clear answer on whether there was a policy against it but I've neither been invited to nor heard of a wedding or wedding reception in a LDS chapel in the 20+ years I've lived in the area.
                  “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                  "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I wonder if they are going to do the same thing they do in some of the foreign countries. The temple president asks you if you have consummated the marriage and if the answer is yes, you get to wait 12 months before you are sealed.
                    Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                    This policy has been in place for may years in countries where temple marriage doesn't satisfy the law. In South Africa a couple would get married civilly, usually in their home town, and then they had a week to get to the Joburg Temple to get sealed. Yes the usually consummated the civil marriage before they hit the temple.
                    Oooooooo.....who is right and who is lying?

Comment

Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
                      Oooooooo.....who is right and who is lying?
                      Not all temple presidents do that, but I have heard several stories of this happening. Feel free to take with a grain of salt.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Is the church going to care if a couple gets busy between the civil wedding and the sealing?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Do they still do this? If so it's among the more ridiculous policies out there. Especially if the statistics from Utah in the 1960s are true in foreign countries (church estimated that something like 60% plus of marriages in the church involved premarital sex).
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Props to DDD for renting a tuxedo for a temple wedding. I like the way you roll!
                            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                              This has been floating around since earlier this year and I've seen it from multiple sources (including PFS, I think). I tend to think it is true, and it's an excellent change.
                              Yeah, my wife just reminded me that I predicted this would be announced last conference.
                              Don't worry--i discovered the error in my calculation. It's December.
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                                i have seen various versions of this for the last few months on other places. One version said that chapels will no longer be allowed to hold any marriage activities (i.e. no more mormon meeting house receptions). It will be interesting if it actually comes to past and what new mormon marriage cultures will be created or pushed.

In a previous stake the stake pres made it a policy that members had to sign a hold harmless, purchase liability insurance (provide a certificate of insurance), and make a cleaning deposit ($100 or two) for weddings/wedding receptions. I don't recall how much the liability insurance was but recall it was enough to effectively put a stop to wedding activities at the church until someone pointed out that the meetinghouse handbook explicitly states that members should not be charged deposits and such.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X