No announcement yet.

Church pulling out of the marriage business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This discussion reminded me of something that happened on my mission. We were walking on a street that overlooked a river that ran through town. There was a large gathering on the river with a minister in the water performing baptisms. We thought it looked interesting and sat down to watch. The next person walked into the water to be baptized and we instantly recognized her, one of our most active members and the branch president's sister. This is a small town, everyone knew she was a member of the church.

We talked to her later that day. She was embarrassed. She said she did it for her boyfriend but didn't want to go to his church. She would still come to church and perform her calling. At our next opportunity we asked the mission president if he needed to talk with her. His response: "That baptism meant nothing. Move on."

Comment

• Make sure to let us revise you're planned remarks and you'll be golden.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
        Honest answer is I don’t know. It caught me completely off guard. I am guessing that not being religious, they don’t want to track down a bishop or minister, but a county clerk seems too informal.
        I think just asking a friend or boss to officiate a wedding is becoming more and more common.

Several guys I know who run businesses have been asked by their young, non-religious employees to officiate weddings.

It’s an interesting time when you have a lot of young people who just don’t have anybody else to ask.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
          Make sure to let us revise you're planned remarks and you'll be golden.
          ...you’ll be golden. RIP triplet.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
            Thanks for the replies. Enough anecdotal evidence here that I’m not too worried about it anymore.
            Don't you have to at least be registered with the city or state to have some kind of legally-recognized authority?

Comment

• Reminds of Provo, 20 years ago. Provo had some asinine requirement that if you wanted to hold a dance, you had to have state-qualified security guards, metal detectors, and surveillance equipment. If you were a church, school, or government institution, you were exempt from all that. So a couple of BYU students got themselves ordained by the Universal Life Church, and had themselves a dance. They were fined $100.

At first, BYU Honor Code office didn't really care, because they said it didn't look like they really joined another church or left the Mormon church. I think they ended up putting the students involved on probation, possible because of the misdemeanor charges. The dance ordinance was changed sometime after that.

Comment

• Did we learn nothing from Footloose?!

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  the church doesn't give a shit. just do it and don't worry about it.
                  They actually do. I've had a few friends do this who were called into the bishop's office and asked to resign their membership in the online priesthood. No additional measures were taken, but I think it's incorrect that the church does not care.
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                    Reminds of Provo, 20 years ago. Provo had some asinine requirement that if you wanted to hold a dance, you had to have state-qualified security guards, metal detectors, and surveillance equipment. If you were a church, school, or government institution, you were exempt from all that. So a couple of BYU students got themselves ordained by the Universal Life Church, and had themselves a dance. They were fined $100.

At first, BYU Honor Code office didn't really care, because they said it didn't look like they really joined another church or left the Mormon church. I think they ended up putting the students involved on probation, possible because of the misdemeanor charges. The dance ordinance was changed sometime after that.
                    Commerce always finds a way.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• LDS leadership, your turn.

https://apnews.com/article/race-and-...aa7cbda2013de2

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                        I am probably up at night, as usual, but I thought the Church was already OK with this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                          I am probably up at night, as usual, but I thought the Church was already OK with this?
                          With recognizing civil unions? I hadn't heard that.

Comment

i too had assumed that has been their position even since the prop 8 stuff several years ago.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                              They definitely are not publicly endorsing it but probably just not actively fighting it anymore, but it's been awhile since I cared so I may have old info.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Yes they have been okay with recognizing civil unions, they don't want them to be marriages.
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X