Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Church pulling out of the marriage business

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    Dang it, Peggy! Keep your mouth shut.
    Recalculating date...
    I like how she wrote the article. Went through all the reasons why it would be a good idea.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    no wife wants you to take longer than two hours.

Ladies?
    Truth.

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes. . .

A family member is getting married in August. They have asked me to officiate the marriage. They are not LDS. It will be an outside, non-denominational wedding, very light on religious overtones.

From what I can tell from google searches, Iíll have to become a mister of a non-denominational internet church to have the legal authority to officiate the marriage.

I am LDS, but Iím not a bishop, SP, or military chaplain (obviously, since I still use the term LDS). I couldnít find anything in the new handbook about what the churches position on doing this might be, but Iím guessing itís frowned upon. My question is, if I go through with it, asking for forgiveness after rather than permission before, how much trouble could I expect? A Stern talking to? Revoke the temple recommend? Priesthood court of love?

Iím most likely going to do it, as long as excommunication isnít on the table.

Just run for mayor or county clerk. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post

A family member is getting married in August. They have asked me to officiate the marriage. They are not LDS. It will be an outside, non-denominational wedding, very light on religious overtones.

From what I can tell from google searches, I’ll have to become a mister of a non-denominational internet church to have the legal authority to officiate the marriage.

I am LDS, but I’m not a bishop, SP, or military chaplain (obviously, since I still use the term LDS). I couldn’t find anything in the new handbook about what the churches position on doing this might be, but I’m guessing it’s frowned upon. My question is, if I go through with it, asking for forgiveness after rather than permission before, how much trouble could I expect? A Stern talking to? Revoke the temple recommend? Priesthood court of love?

I’m most likely going to do it, as long as excommunication isn’t on the table.
    Join a native american tribe and become a sweat lodge leader. That looks legal in Utah.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

From what I can tell from google searches, Iíll have to become a mister of a non-denominational internet church to have the legal authority to officiate the marriage.

I am LDS, but Iím not a bishop, SP, or military chaplain (obviously, since I still use the term LDS). I couldnít find anything in the new handbook about what the churches position on doing this might be, but Iím guessing itís frowned upon. My question is, if I go through with it, asking for forgiveness after rather than permission before, how much trouble could I expect? A Stern talking to? Revoke the temple recommend? Priesthood court of love?

Become an internet minister, perform the ceremony, and enjoy not having to go to Ward Temple Night.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Why are they asking you to officiate? Honest question.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed mostówatching BYU lose."

May I suggest the Church of the Latter Day Dude?

https://dudeism.com/

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

the church doesn't give a shit. just do it and don't worry about it.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    I think this is the right answer too. I know a number of LDS folks who are active and hold callings, and have become ordained ministers online in order to do a wedding.

I actually someone ask me who in the LDS church was allowed to do marriages, thinking that a counselor in their bishopric could do it - but that wasn't the case.

In the church handbook, it talks about under what circumstances a church leader can do a marriage while acting in their calling. I'm going to go ahead and assume that if you aren't acting ie performing the marriage as an official of the LDS church, then the church isn't involved and won't say much about it.

I did find it interesting that the handbook says church officials/chaplains are not to use their ecclesiastic authority to perform same sex marriages - made me wonder how they would feel about someone getting an online endorsement to do so.

I also thought it was funny that it specifically says church officials can only perform a marriage if one of the people being married belongs to the unit over which he presides. So a grandpa who is a bishop/stake president can't marry a grandchild unless that grandchild is in their ward/stake. Without permission of the first presidency.

From what I can tell from google searches, I’ll have to become a mister of a non-denominational internet church to have the legal authority to officiate the marriage.

I am LDS, but I’m not a bishop, SP, or military chaplain (obviously, since I still use the term LDS). I couldn’t find anything in the new handbook about what the churches position on doing this might be, but I’m guessing it’s frowned upon. My question is, if I go through with it, asking for forgiveness after rather than permission before, how much trouble could I expect? A Stern talking to? Revoke the temple recommend? Priesthood court of love?

No big deal. People do that all the time.

Oh yeah my wife got some online certificate and performed a marriage. Nobody at church seemed to care. Didn’t get her excommunicated or even released from being Primary President.

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    DON'T FALL FOR IT CHRISENRUT! HE'S LYING!

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Honest answer is I don’t know. It caught me completely off guard. I am guessing that not being religious, they don’t want to track down a bishop or minister, but a county clerk seems too informal.

Thanks for the replies. Enough anecdotal evidence here that Iím not too worried about it anymore.

This discussion reminded me of something that happened on my mission. We were walking on a street that overlooked a river that ran through town. There was a large gathering on the river with a minister in the water performing baptisms. We thought it looked interesting and sat down to watch. The next person walked into the water to be baptized and we instantly recognized her, one of our most active members and the branch president's sister. This is a small town, everyone knew she was a member of the church.

We talked to her later that day. She was embarrassed. She said she did it for her boyfriend but didn't want to go to his church. She would still come to church and perform her calling. At our next opportunity we asked the mission president if he needed to talk with her. His response: "That baptism meant nothing. Move on."

Make sure to let us revise you're planned remarks and you'll be golden.

Honest answer is I don’t know. It caught me completely off guard. I am guessing that not being religious, they don’t want to track down a bishop or minister, but a county clerk seems too informal.
    I think just asking a friend or boss to officiate a wedding is becoming more and more common.

Several guys I know who run businesses have been asked by their young, non-religious employees to officiate weddings.

It’s an interesting time when you have a lot of young people who just don’t have anybody else to ask.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    Make sure to let us revise you're planned remarks and you'll be golden.
    ...you’ll be golden. RIP triplet.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Thanks for the replies. Enough anecdotal evidence here that I’m not too worried about it anymore.
    Don't you have to at least be registered with the city or state to have some kind of legally-recognized authority?

Reminds of Provo, 20 years ago. Provo had some asinine requirement that if you wanted to hold a dance, you had to have state-qualified security guards, metal detectors, and surveillance equipment. If you were a church, school, or government institution, you were exempt from all that. So a couple of BYU students got themselves ordained by the Universal Life Church, and had themselves a dance. They were fined $100.

At first, BYU Honor Code office didn't really care, because they said it didn't look like they really joined another church or left the Mormon church. I think they ended up putting the students involved on probation, possible because of the misdemeanor charges. The dance ordinance was changed sometime after that.

Did we learn nothing from Footloose?!

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    They actually do. I've had a few friends do this who were called into the bishop's office and asked to resign their membership in the online priesthood. No additional measures were taken, but I think it's incorrect that the church does not care.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
    Reminds of Provo, 20 years ago. Provo had some asinine requirement that if you wanted to hold a dance, you had to have state-qualified security guards, metal detectors, and surveillance equipment. If you were a church, school, or government institution, you were exempt from all that. So a couple of BYU students got themselves ordained by the Universal Life Church, and had themselves a dance. They were fined $100.

At first, BYU Honor Code office didn't really care, because they said it didn't look like they really joined another church or left the Mormon church. I think they ended up putting the students involved on probation, possible because of the misdemeanor charges. The dance ordinance was changed sometime after that.
    Commerce always finds a way.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed mostówatching BYU lose."