Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Commando View Post
    In all fairness, we don't know what he meant by "backyard."
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

A few that are decent technical pictures, but limited artistic value. Birds I either don't see regularly, or usually get close enough to get a good picture.

Comment

That Red-Breasted Sapsucker Shot is really cool. I mean, they're all good, but I've never seen a RBSA before, so it was fun just looking in my Sibley's to figure out what it was.

Here's a couple I got this morning. A friend got a Tamron 150-600m and we were messing around with it at the Carolina Sandhills NWR.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...their-eaglets/

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            A friend got a Tamron 150-600m and we were messing around with it at the Carolina Sandhills NWR.
            Some day I'll be able to afford something that will get me out to 400mm and beyond without the use of an extender...

How is the auto-focus at 600?

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
              Some day I'll be able to afford something that will get me out to 400mm and beyond without the use of an extender...

How is the auto-focus at 600?
              Jumpy on the sport setting, a little better on the general one.

Comment

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Sadly, those are ravens, so I think someone did you an unkindness.

Comment

I shot these last two in the rain in such poor light conditions that I was amazed I got the camera to even take the shots.

Comment

Sadly, those are ravens, so I think someone did you an unkindness.
                      It says attempted.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        It says attempted.
                        Jackdaw.

Comment

I shot these last two in the rain in such poor light conditions that I was amazed I got the camera to even take the shots.
                          Out of curiosity, what camera, and what focus mode do you use?

Comment

Out of curiosity, what camera, and what focus mode do you use?

Nikon D3000. Tamron 70-300mm. I vary between Auto, Sport, and Macro, depending on light and how bouncy the critter is. Finches I use auto. If it's a warbler, I'll go to sport because the damned things won't hold still. I usually am all the way dialed out on 300 mm. I should take a photography class, but I'm waiting for my daughter to start taking one in the fall, I want her to teach me how to be better since I've taught her so many things and I'm usually the know-it-all. I also have a heavy hand in Picasa.

Comment

Nikon D3000. Tamron 70-300mm. I vary between Auto, Sport, and Macro, depending on light and how bouncy the critter is. Finches I use auto. If it's a warbler, I'll go to sport because the damned things won't hold still. I usually am all the way dialed out on 300 mm. I should take a photography class, but I'm waiting for my daughter to start taking one in the fall, I want her to teach me how to be better since I've taught her so many things and I'm usually the know-it-all. I also have a heavy hand in Picasa.
                              This is just a quick summary, probably non-solicited so I apologize if I'm overstepping the intention of the thread.

That's the exposure/scene mode. A quick google shows the focus mode is Menu -> Wrench -> Focus Mode. This won't work when the exposure mode is set for Auto. I think it defaults to AF-A when in Auto mode. For birds, you typically want to force the camera into continuous auto-focus mode, for Nikon this is "AF-C", for Canon it's "AI-Servo". It's likely the "sports" setting also enables this.

Most of the "scene" modes (portrait, landscape, sports, etc.) are really just a quick way of changing a number of settings to specific values that are generally good for that type of photography. Bird mode is not usually one of the options. Sports might be close, but it's likely the shutter speed will be too slow for rapidly moving birds (flight or small song birds), where you want at minimum 1/500, better if you can get up to 1/2000.

Once you realize that all those scene modes do is control 4 parameters for image capture, (Focus mode/properties, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO), then at some point you learn that for some situations it is better to control those directly because there isn't a mode for the specific situation. These modes will also change the processing applied to the jpeg after the capture.

DSLR's can track moving subjects and continuously refocus until you fully press the shutter button. Once you have changed the auto focus mode to "AF-C", half-press the shutter button and hold it there while holding the selected autofocus point (likely the center one) on the moving subject. Try it on a moving child/pet sometime to see what it does. It will significantly help the number of in-focus shots you can get. It's also very useful for sports.

I also set my camera for continuous shooting, so if I hold down the shutter button the camera keeps shooting. It can track moving objects and take burst of shots at the same time. In between shots, the auto focus system will adjust to the subject. This is the one area that is seeing continuous actual improvement in new bodies. They have algorithms built to attempt to predict the motion of the subject based on the most recent history of focusing. In the most recent models you can change some parameters of the algorithms. Better processors continue to enable better and faster algorithms.

The 3000 is going to be limiting at some point relative to newer bodies. The sensors have continued to improve, especially over the last 5 years. I recently upgraded to the Canon 7D mark II specifically because I enjoy shooting birds and my kids' sporting events.

All of my pictures are edited significantly, I only shoot RAW.

Comment

This is just a quick summary, probably non-solicited so I apologize if I'm overstepping the intention of the thread.

That's the exposure/scene mode. A quick google shows the focus mode is Menu -> Wrench -> Focus Mode. This won't work when the exposure mode is set for Auto. I think it defaults to AF-A when in Auto mode. For birds, you typically want to force the camera into continuous auto-focus mode, for Nikon this is "AF-C", for Canon it's "AI-Servo". It's likely the "sports" setting also enables this.

Most of the "scene" modes (portrait, landscape, sports, etc.) are really just a quick way of changing a number of settings to specific values that are generally good for that type of photography. Bird mode is not usually one of the options. Sports might be close, but it's likely the shutter speed will be too slow for rapidly moving birds (flight or small song birds), where you want at minimum 1/500, better if you can get up to 1/2000.

Once you realize that all those scene modes do is control 4 parameters for image capture, (Focus mode/properties, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO), then at some point you learn that for some situations it is better to control those directly because there isn't a mode for the specific situation. These modes will also change the processing applied to the jpeg after the capture.

DSLR's can track moving subjects and continuously refocus until you fully press the shutter button. Once you have changed the auto focus mode to "AF-C", half-press the shutter button and hold it there while holding the selected autofocus point (likely the center one) on the moving subject. Try it on a moving child/pet sometime to see what it does. It will significantly help the number of in-focus shots you can get. It's also very useful for sports.

I also set my camera for continuous shooting, so if I hold down the shutter button the camera keeps shooting. It can track moving objects and take burst of shots at the same time. In between shots, the auto focus system will adjust to the subject. This is the one area that is seeing continuous actual improvement in new bodies. They have algorithms built to attempt to predict the motion of the subject based on the most recent history of focusing. In the most recent models you can change some parameters of the algorithms. Better processors continue to enable better and faster algorithms.

The 3000 is going to be limiting at some point relative to newer bodies. The sensors have continued to improve, especially over the last 5 years. I recently upgraded to the Canon 7D mark II specifically because I enjoy shooting birds and my kids' sporting events.

All of my pictures are edited significantly, I only shoot RAW.
                                Cool. Thanks for that. I'll mess around tonight and see what my evening shots look like.

Comment

Working...
                                X