Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Birding

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I agree that it is ugly.

Not so strange that its unafraid of humans, since its been domesticated for 5,000 years.
    That bird looks its age.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I agree that it is ugly.

Not so strange that its unafraid of humans, since its been domesticated for 5,000 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Well, the Egyptians first domesticated cats 10,000 years ago and I've met very few cats that would let a stranger walk right up to them. My neighbors cat runs away every time I even look at it. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Well, the Egyptians first domesticated cats 10,000 years ago and I've met very few cats that would let a stranger walk right up to them. My neighbors cat runs away every time I even look at it. Just sayin...
    Well, maybe that's because you are a BIG FAT MEANIE.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Well, maybe that's because you are a BIG FAT MEANIE.
    I wonder if that's why people run away when I look at them? Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I wonder if that's why people run away when I look at them? Hmm...
    Self awareness is the first step, my friend!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

It's funny how people anthropomorphize domesticated animals and dehumanize their political opponents.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    It's funny how people anthropomorphize domesticated animals and dehumanize their political opponents.
    I didn't realize you knew my oldest daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    I didn't realize you knew my oldest daughter.
    Haha.

Tufted Puffins.
    I'll put these here as they aren't good photographs, large crops, blown whites, and too much sun. Even with the big rental lens, not enough reach. Haystack Rock, Cannon Beach Oregon.

I finally got a photo of a Clapper Rail. It sucks, but, they're not just sound effects coming from the marsh.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

I finally got a photo of a Clapper Rail. It sucks, but, they're not just sound effects coming from the marsh.

Looks like a pretty cool duck, wap.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Looks like a pretty cool duck, wap.
    I don’t think it’s that cool. Like it’s just a duck. They’re all about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    I don’t think it’s that cool. Like it’s just a duck. They’re all about the same.
    That looks nothing like a duck. More like a loon, simpleton.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Okay, might not be a duck, but that could just be camera angle. But it certainly ain't no loon. Maybe a grebe, but never a loon.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Okay, might not be a duck, but that could just be camera angle. But it certainly ain't no loon. Maybe a grebe, but never a loon.
    Hmmph.

loonie.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    A loon in easily twice the size of a rail.

Here's a Common Loon in someone's hands:

Here's a Clapper Rail:

Well done Wuap! I’ll give you the recognition you deserve for that shot. Well done, indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Last edited by wuapinmon; 01-12-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Pine siskins on my nyjer feeder just now.

This is really funny. My students are mostly like this. NSFW language. Do not watch with volume up.

https://www.facebook.com/LADbible/vi...location=group

This is really funny. My students are mostly like this. NSFW language. Do not watch with volume up.

"He had it the whole time."

LOL, that was great.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Nature always finds a way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Nature always finds a way!

Monday, we had a bumblebee in my classroom. Students started freaking out, over a bumblebee! I said, "My father was a professional beekeeper, and I learned from a young age that bees only sting you if you mess with them. That bee will go to the window and spend it's time there trying to escape, now let's all focus on our work." It's buzzing, over and over. A girl starts saying that she's super-duper sad that it can't go outside, and we should open a window. I tell them that "These windows were surplus guillotines leftover from the French Revolution. Also, they've been screwed shut, so you can't open them." She says, "well, we should try and help it." I say, "No, that's a good way to get stung, and having run over a bumblebee nest with my lawnmower when I was a kid, they hurt about like a wasp." It then starts flying around the room, causing them to shriek. One girl starts crying. Another students says, "We should have class outside" and that's when I took my shoe off, bent down and grabbed it, and then used it to obliterate the poor bumblebee against the window in my room, to audible gasps. I don't think that a single <redacted> one of them had ever killed a bee before.

God help us.

Monday, we had a bumblebee in my classroom. Students started freaking out, over a bumblebee! I said, "My father was a professional beekeeper, and I learned from a young age that bees only sting you if you mess with them. That bee will go to the window and spend it's time there trying to escape, now let's all focus on our work." It's buzzing, over and over. A girl starts saying that she's super-duper sad that it can't go outside, and we should open a window. I tell them that "These windows were surplus guillotines leftover from the French Revolution. Also, they've been screwed shut, so you can't open them." She says, "well, we should try and help it." I say, "No, that's a good way to get stung, and having run over a bumblebee nest with my lawnmower when I was a kid, they hurt about like a wasp." It then starts flying around the room, causing them to shriek. One girl starts crying. Another students says, "We should have class outside" and that's when I took my shoe off, bent down and grabbed it, and then used it to obliterate the poor bumblebee against the window in my room, to audible gasps. I don't think that a single <redacted> one of them had ever killed a bee before.

God help us.
    Ha, I mentioned this to my wife, and she said it sounds like her 4th grade class. Except that most of the boys in her class would delight in smushing the bumblebee.

Great photos, Sir!
    Last edited by happyone; 04-16-2018 at 09:15 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Those are birds. Welcome back.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!