Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 211 to 227 of 227

Thread: Birding

  1. #211
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,567

    Default

    There is a brown booby in Greenville county, SC on the campus of Furman University today. I went there this morning to chase it, and I found it. Here's a short video: https://www.facebook.com/wuapinmon/v...type=3&theater

    31711006_10101767098018229_8154902001742774272_o.jpg
    31495650_10101767098053159_64984504455921664_o.jpg
    31460760_10101767098043179_7795358289255989248_o.jpg

    That bird is a tropical, pelagic bird that shouldn't be within 600 miles of where it is. It was a very cool thing to see that far inland. It's my first US record, and my 248th bird in South Carolina.

    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  2. #212
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Apparently down the road from me had become a birding hotspot. I didn't know that.

    http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...425-story.html

  3. #213
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    There is a brown booby in Greenville county, SC on the campus of Furman University today. I went there this morning to chase it, and I found it. Here's a short video: https://www.facebook.com/wuapinmon/v...type=3&theater

    31711006_10101767098018229_8154902001742774272_o.jpg
    31495650_10101767098053159_64984504455921664_o.jpg
    31460760_10101767098043179_7795358289255989248_o.jpg

    That bird is a tropical, pelagic bird that shouldn't be within 600 miles of where it is. It was a very cool thing to see that far inland. It's my first US record, and my 248th bird in South Carolina.

    Sounds like a National Lampoon movie premise - a professor looking for boobys on a college campus.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  4. #214
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Apparently down the road from me had become a birding hotspot. I didn't know that.

    http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...425-story.html
    I didn't know that either. When Tim and I were roommates he told me all about Owens Lake when we watched Chinatown, and how it could be awesome if LA didn't suck it dry. I'm glad to see that there are birds-a-plenty there now.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  5. #215
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I didn't know that either. When Tim and I were roommates he told me all about Owens Lake when we watched Chinatown, and how it could be awesome if LA didn't suck it dry. I'm glad to see that there are birds-a-plenty there now.
    It really is crazy to see the change that has been made in the last 15 years. It was a godforsaken place before and when the wind picked up the dust would blot out the sun. We had a huge wind event just last week and there was little to no dust coming off the lake.

  6. #216
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,567

    Default

    3,558 chimney swifts tonight in downtown Hartsville, roosting in the Center Theater. That's my best guess, counting as fast as I could as they flew into the chimney. I need a low light camera so I can shoot some video of it.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  7. #217
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    3,558 chimney swifts tonight in downtown Hartsville, roosting in the Center Theater. That's my best guess, counting as fast as I could as they flew into the chimney. I need a low light camera so I can shoot some video of it.
    This is what popped into my head as I read the beginning of your post:

    841255510570250d9f00c153f821c380.jpg
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  8. #218
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    This is what popped into my head as I read the beginning of your post:

    841255510570250d9f00c153f821c380.jpg
    STEP IN TIME!
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  9. #219
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    7,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    There is a brown booby in Greenville county, SC on the campus of Furman University today. I went there this morning to chase it, and I found it. Here's a short video: https://www.facebook.com/wuapinmon/v...type=3&theater

    That bird is a tropical, pelagic bird that shouldn't be within 600 miles of where it is. It was a very cool thing to see that far inland. It's my first US record, and my 248th bird in South Carolina.
    Is it possible that the bird got caught up in Florence and got a free ride to the US?

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  10. #220
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Is it possible that the bird got caught up in Florence and got a free ride to the US?
    While I've seen some boobies since Florence, the brown booby was back in April.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  11. #221
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,567

    Default

    So, I went birding on Friday at Bear Island Wildlife Management Area in Bennett's Point, Colleton County, South Carolina, with a buddy of mine (and tied for first as the best birder I know) named Irvin Pitts. He and I spotted four swans, which I was really excited to see, because Tundra Swan was a life bird for me. Well, at first glance I tried to make one of them into a Canada Goose because it didn't look like the other ones, but I soon realized it was a massive bird compared to a CAGO. A few more minutes of studying the birds, and Irvin says to me, "that one looks different" and I said, "I'm glad you said something because I thought it was just my inexperience with the species. Is it a juvenile?" He said, "Well, look a the thickness of the neck, the definite differences in bill size, angle, and length, the lack of yellow by the gape, and the dull, brown coloration." I then asked, "Do you think it's a Trumpeter Swan" and he said, "Well, that's what I'm thinking, but I've never seen one in South Carolina." We went and found a pack of other experienced birders that we had passed before, and had them come take a look too. 5 of them agreed with us, one said he wasn't ready to decide until he got home and did some research.

    To make a long story short, we got home, looked at photos, submitted it as a Trumpeter, and it was accepted by the eBird reviewer as the first-ever state Trumpeter Swan!!!! Irvin is writing it up to submit to the official records committee; they may accept it or deny it due to some trumpeters being of questionable origin (escapes, transplants, etc). But, if accepted, it'd be a state first record...not something that happens too often, and something I had a part of. But, to be honest, if I hadn't been with Irvin, I would've probably just said 4 Tundra Swans. I've got so much to learn about being a patient, cautious, birder. Irvin and my other buddy Steve Patterson really do teach me every single time we go out together.

    To finish, Irvin and I got 102 different species in one day, in one place. No matter where you are, that's a fantastic day of birding.

    Here's the eBird checklist for the curious (with Irvin's photos of the bird in question). https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S53616690
    Last edited by wuapinmon; 03-10-2019 at 08:21 AM.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  12. #222

    Default

    Very cool!

  13. #223
    Board Bookworm happyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Davis County
    Posts
    4,772

    Default

    neat!

    I may be small, but I'm slow.

    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

  14. #224
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,317

    Default

    Wuap I was out in SC this last weekend. I saw this bird on Daufuskie. Thought you might like it for your collection.

    Last edited by falafel; 03-27-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  15. #225
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Wuap I was out in SC this last weekend. I saw this bird on Daufuskie. Thought you might like it for your collection.

    Cool Great Blue Heron; did you get to see it feeding? Also, I'm fairly certain that Dwight and I saw one of those at the Las Vegas wash. You should go check out where he works sometime...it's pretty frickin' awesome!

    I've not been to Daufuskie, though my dad ate oysters with that brand on them when I was a kid. What were you doing in the Palmetto State? Also, I was at the coast last week; sorry I missed you.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  16. #226
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Cool Great Blue Heron; did you get to see it feeding? Also, I'm fairly certain that Dwight and I saw one of those at the Las Vegas wash. You should go check out where he works sometime...it's pretty frickin' awesome!

    I've not been to Daufuskie, though my dad ate oysters with that brand on them when I was a kid. What were you doing in the Palmetto State? Also, I was at the coast last week; sorry I missed you.
    I didn't see it feeding. It was just chilling there on the edge of the tee box in front of a guy with a very unreliable driver swing, calm as day.

    I was out your way to play in a golf tournament at Haig Point on Daufuskie. Flew into HH, took a ferry to Daufuskie, played 63 holes of golf in 3 days, flew out of Savannah. Short trip and I didn't get to see much of your state, but what I did see was pretty incredible.

    IMG_7080.jpg
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  17. #227
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I didn't see it feeding. It was just chilling there on the edge of the tee box in front of a guy with a very unreliable driver swing, calm as day.

    I was out your way to play in a golf tournament at Haig Point on Daufuskie. Flew into HH, took a ferry to Daufuskie, played 63 holes of golf in 3 days, flew out of Savannah. Short trip and I didn't get to see much of your state, but what I did see was pretty incredible.

    IMG_7080.jpg
    Sounds like a grand time. You also visited at the right time of year. Yall Westerners tend to melt here in the coming months.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •