Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Birding

Default Birding

Jack and I took up birding/birdwatching while in Costa Rica. We've kept at it since we got back. Use this thread for general birding stuff. The photography thread has some amazing stuff in it. This is more for reports of things.

We spent the night in Myrtle Beach last night and Jack and I got up at 6:30AM to be at Huntington Beach State Park for sunrise. About 7:30AM, we saw a roseate spoonbill take off in a panic, sounding alarms, because a bald eagle was after it. It got away, and the eagle rested in a pine for about ten minutes before darting after a little blue heron. It chased it for about 40 seconds, caught it in mid-air, killed it while flying, and then landed on a post and ate the thing. We couldn't believe what we saw. If I'd had a zoom lens, the photos would've been amazing, but here's what we got otherwise. Here's the whole sequence: http://imgur.com/a/LatOL
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Some white ibises feeding. We saw several flocks of them migrating south....including one of all juveniles (noted by their brown plumage).

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

I helped one of my students with her senior research project this morning. She is studying the antibiotic properties of uropygial gland secretions, and she invited me to help her band, measure, weigh, and take samples this morning. We caught 8 birds and were able to band and study six of them. The federal licenses for banding and catching are incredibly strict, so because the Dark-eyed Junco and Hermit Thrush aren't on her approved list, we can only take a sample and then let them go. 2 Carolina Wrens, 3 NOCA, 1 NOMO, and the Junco and HETH.

This NOCA didn't want to leave; he preferred to stay and bite.

Default Birding

Sounds like a cool morning Wuap. Her in Vegas our winter residents are just starting to show up after a pretty mild fall. We've had wigeons and Northern pintails show up in the hundreds this week.
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 11-22-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Up close the titmice's eyes don't look like soulless black wells of despair.

We also caught a very unlucky purple finch with some serious conjunctivitis.

Last edited by wuapinmon; 02-12-2015 at 11:37 AM.

We have some large windows on the East side of the hospital where I work. I guess we are in a migration path because ducks seem to hit the windows on a regular basis. Any thoughts on what this could be?

"You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

hostile,

Can you give us an idea of the size and the coloration. It's hard to tell what that is. It might be a feral muscovy, but without bill color (and shape), size, and maybe foot color, it's hard to know.

A dead duck.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

It might be a gadwall:

or a Clark's grebe:
    Last edited by wuapinmon; 02-12-2015 at 02:10 PM.

This flew into my backyard tonight, trying to get away from a mob of blue jays.

It was far too glorious a day to spend in my office, so I knocked off at 12PM and headed north to the Carolina Sandhills NWR. I bumped into a Fish & Wildlife ranger who was going around checking Red-Cockaded Woodpecker nest cavities for nestlings. She let me tag along for an hour, and I got some photos. No babies in these trees, but we did find a Northern Flicker nest with seven eggs in it.

Shot through my bins, but I got this guy to come out of the brush after playing a song.

Cornell has added a really cool new photo ID feature to their All About Birds webpage. Right now you can help them test their Beta version. I tried about 12 different species and it correctly identified ten. Not too shabby.

http://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/photo-id-help/

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

I love the one carrying the sucker fish.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I love the one carrying the sucker fish.

I've always been glad my eyes aren't down by the corner of my mouth. Getting barbecue sauce into my eyes would sting. Cool pics, though.

That's an amazing shot of that egret. The whiteness of the primaries is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    That's an amazing shot of that egret. The whiteness of the primaries is astounding.
    I was able to upgrade to the 7D mark II recently. It seems to handle the whites better than my 50D did. A little touch up in LightRoom and Nik Color Efex Pro to get a little more contrast in the feathers also. Not quite as sharp as I would have liked, but close.

Here's a few more from the Seattle area from Spring break.

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    I was able to upgrade to the 7D mark II recently. It seems to handle the whites better than my 50D did. A little touch up in LightRoom and Nik Color Efex Pro to get a little more contrast in the feathers also. Not quite as sharp as I would have liked, but close.

Here's a few more from the Seattle area from Spring break.
    The zebra-like design on those feathers is crazy cool.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    The zebra-like design on those feathers is crazy cool.
    Green-winged teal, I was standing on a platform above the water, so I couldn't get low enough to get a good shot of it. Beautiful bird. I have seen them a couple of times in the Seattle area, but not down south in the greater Portland area where I live. Hope to get a better opportunity in the future.

Default Birding

A quick one from yesterday after a weekend of rain.

Geese.jpg
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 04-12-2016 at 11:12 PM.

It's a junk shot, but if you're a birder, you might want to see what I saw today.

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    It's a junk shot, but if you're a birder, you might want to see what I saw today.
    That's cool. Was it really hanging upside down from a branch like Schwarzenegger in Predator?