HIIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIIT

So I came across a new book recently - http://www.penguin.com/book/8020-run.../9780451470881. Fitzgerald is a runner and a triathlon coach and shares a lot of research about the most efficient kinds of training. I've skimmed through it all and now am just going back and picking up on the details, but here are a few gems:
    1) HIIT has never been shown to work outside of a laboratory setting, when used exclusively. Yes, it increases VO2 max, but this doesn't translate into faster 5k/10k/1/2M/marathon times. In fact, when you compare groups enrolled in exclusive HIIT vs 80% aerobic/20% high intensity training, the latter group does much better. We all knew this, as we fly pass the Crossfit T shirts at every race out there, but it's interesting to see studies demonstrate this.
    2) Most people are attracted to these short HIIT style plans not because they don't have time (studies have shown that regular exercisers have no fewer activities going on in their lives than non-exercisers) but because they don't like to exercise. Guess what? They like intense exercise even less. So people fall off the wagon really easily. (I think crossfit does a nice job of overcoming this with the competition aspect. Also, the affairs probably help.)
    3) HIIT programs are terrible for weight loss. Yes, your metabolism boosts a bit, but again, it's a lab effect that doesn't carry over into real results. Studies have shown that exercisers have to work to a level of three times the perceived exertion to burn the same number of calories when compared to slow running.
    4) Running beats all other sports for weight loss goals. The reasons are a little more unclear here, but his theory is that runners measure their workouts in terms of miles, as opposed to other arenas, which usually measure in terms of time. You burn the same number of calories running a 6 minute mile as you do a 10 minute mile, but when you measure in terms of time, effort plays a huge role in determining how much you burn. So...people slack off.
    5) Most people run (and cycle) too fast. I've seen this other places, but just echoed here. They end up running at a pace that is barely more beneficial in terms of fitness but much harder to recover from. Mentally, it's fatiguing as well--running is much more enjoyable when you make yourself slow down (I read somewhere that you know you're running the right pace if you'd be embarrassed for your friends to see you running).

There's a lot more running-specific stuff, most of which has been said somewhere before, but I found the research addressing HIIT the most interesting. It's a good read so far.
    Last edited by ERCougar; 10-02-2014, 09:29 AM.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    5) Most people run (and cycle) too fast. I've seen this other places, but just echoed here. They end up running at a pace that is barely more beneficial in terms of fitness but much harder to recover from. Mentally, it's fatiguing as well--running is much more enjoyable when you make yourself slow down (I read somewhere that you know you're running the right pace if you'd be embarrassed for your friends to see you running).
    This makes me feel much better about my cycling.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

That's interesting, ER, and coincides with my move toward [even] slower runs. I find that if I reduce my pace by a minute/mile or so, I feel a lot better and recover faster. I guess this is painfully (ha!) obvious, but it's nice to have a good excuse to take it a little easier.

Comment

sounds like i run at the right pace!

im also apparently benching the right amount, curling the right amount, and my sexual stamina is where it needs to be.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I finished this book last night. It was very interesting. The training plans that it has look really good, just need to find a race to put them in action. I can understand the science, but I am still skeptical, but I am going to give a try.

Next step, which I will attempt this evening, is to determine my lactate threshold heat rate. In the book it describes the test as running as far (or as fast, which is the same) as you can in 30 minutes and then averaging you heat rate of the last 10 minutes. I have also read it to be the 20 minute average (http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/04...your-lthr.html). Either way it sounds really painful, but here goes.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
            I finished this book last night. It was very interesting. The training plans that it has look really good, just need to find a race to put them in action. I can understand the science, but I am still skeptical, but I am going to give a try.

Next step, which I will attempt this evening, is to determine my lactate threshold heat rate. In the book it describes the test as running as far (or as fast, which is the same) as you can in 30 minutes and then averaging you heat rate of the last 10 minutes. I have also read it to be the 20 minute average (http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/04...your-lthr.html). Either way it sounds really painful, but here goes.
            I did this test last Friday as planned. Did a 5 minute warm up and then ran one of my 5 mile loops on the canal roads. I ran as hard as I could and it really hurt. A lot. My average HR for the last 10 minutes was 180, and the middle 10 minutes was 174. Since my fictitious Max Heart Rate (220- age) is 181, I am thinking this may not be the best measure of my lactate threshold, but I am going to modify this and start the training program and see where it gets me. Just need to find a race now.

Comment

Working...
            X