FREEEEEEDOM!!! Scottish Independence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FREEEEEEDOM!!! Scottish Independence

Has anyone been following this? I only read a little bit last night on Reddit and was surprised to learn how close the vote may be. Seems that seceding from the United Kingdom would create a lot of upheaval without much real benefit. At least my impression from reading the thoughts of some supporters was that the Yes to Succession voters were driven by naive idealism. (Apparently, Scots as young as 16 can vote.)

If anybody is wondering, Barry is against it. http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/16/politi...scotland-vote/

Edit:

Last edited by Lost Student; 09-18-2014, 10:17 AM.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
    Has anyone been following this? I only read a little bit last night on Reddit and was surprised to learn how close the vote may be. Seems that seceding from the United Kingdom would create a lot of upheaval without much real benefit. At least my impression from reading the thoughts of some supporters was that the Yes to Succession voters were driven by naive idealism. (Apparently, Scots as young as 16 can vote.)

If anybody is wondering, Barry is against it. http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/16/politi...scotland-vote/

I am surprised Barry is against it. Apparently a good part of the appeal is to those who want to follow the Scandanavian model. A lot more government financing of the way of life. They think there is enough oil revenue to provide the funds for that system. Others argue there isn't and it won't be long until Scottland is in fanancial chaos.

Comment

I understand disliking British rule, but they do have representation.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I was surprised how 'meh' I felt towards the movie Braveheart. Everybody else seemed to love it. Way too long in my opinion.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

I enjoyed the movie, but feel "meh" towards this current secessionist movement. It ranks up there with the never ending IRA conflict, although I loved Harrison Ford in Patriot Games. As far as globally impactful political strife, the UK is pretty lame. The movies are more interesting than the actual events.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I liked, but didn't love, the movie. Longshanks was the best part. T ' would be cool if Prince Charles became like Longshanks, but I see him more like the military adviser that got tossed out the window.

Comment

Taiwanese animation of the Scottish referendum.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...560045&fref=nf
              Last edited by snowcat; 09-18-2014, 12:50 PM.
              One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
              SU

Comment

I thought this was great.

Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  I enjoyed the movie, but feel "meh" towards this current secessionist movement. It ranks up there with the never ending IRA conflict, although I loved Harrison Ford in Patriot Games. As far as globally impactful political strife, the UK is pretty lame. The movies are more interesting than the actual events.
                  I know! I always go back and forth about whether to go the route of a traditional or Roth.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                    At least my impression from reading the thoughts of some supporters was that the Yes to Succession voters were driven by naive idealism. (Apparently, Scots as young as 16 can vote.)
                    Each side has accused the other of misinformation. The reality seems to be that nobody can really say how things will go -- how the currency issue will play out, how much oil there really is, how long EU admission would take, etc. People talk about educating themselves on the issues but it seems tough to find hard facts to hold on to. Fascinating process, especially the way the Yes polling surged in the last few weeks. As far as Westminster is concerned, the thing seemed to go from a sideshow to an all hands on deck call over that time.

Comment

I really liked the first couple of episodes of I Wanna Marry Harry. But then I guess it got cancelled or stopped recording on my DVR.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

The fact that no news agency is doing exit polling is astounding.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenag View Post
                          The fact that no news agency is doing exit polling is astounding.
                          Are the polls closed now?
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I hope they do it. Not because it's a good idea, it sounds like a terrible idea. I just think it would be fun to watch the trainwreck after the independence vote.
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                              Are the polls closed now?
                              Just closed at 10pm local time. Results expected to be delivered throughout the night. Cameron will make a morning address either way.

Comment

Working...
                              X