This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUF Privacy Policy

We (the Executive Committee) have decided that it might be a good idea to come up with a few policies and guidelines regarding privacy. As always, discussion is encouraged and welcomed.

CUF Privacy Policy

1. This board is a public site and may be accessed by the members of the public. No one should assume anonymity exists or can be protected. All content is the responsibility of the posting individual and not the board. No Adminstator or Executive Committee member takes responsibility for any information or content posted on this board by any other person.

2. The members of the Executive Committee have moderator status and can view the IP addresses of individual posters. The Committee’s policy is to avoid revealing IP addresses or information derived solely from an IP address in any public forum or in the Speakeasy. This policy does not prevent IP information from being used to confirm the location of someone who has made his/her location public (example: "Yes, poster X is in fact from Iran."), to deal with duplicate accounts/trolls (example: "Poster Y is not really from CIA headquarters and can be safely ignored.") or for any other purpose that the Executive Committee or its members deem reasonable.

2. Divulging private information about another person without that person’s consent is strictly forbidden. This includes name, occupation, location, etc. This is also common sense and good manners. Do we really need to spell this out?

4. E-mail addresses provided during the user account registration process will never be divulged and would only be used by an administrator as required by law or in extreme circumstances to contact the poster in question.

5. Names and e-mail addresses divulged during the donation process will only be seen by the main administrator (Jeff Lebowski) and will never be divulged, even to the Executive Committee.

6. While total funds donated will be shared with the Executive Committee, amounts donated by individual posters will only be known to the administrators and the administrators will use best efforts to keep this information confidential.

7. Private messages are private. There is no mechanism in the vBulletin software, even for the top-level administrator, to view someone else's private messages.

8. Enforcement of these policies is at the discretion of the Executive committee and the Administrators. In general, no enforcement of any policy will take place without a consensus among the Executive Committee members.
    Last edited by Surfah; 12-07-2008, 01:31 PM.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    7. Private messages are private. There is no mechanism in the vBulletin software, even for the top-level administrator, to view someone else's private messages.
    I need to clarify this. I have learned recently that there are a number of add-ins that can be downloaded and installed for vbulletin that allow the super admin (me) and selected admins to read PM. The entire CUF database can also be downloaded with one click (by me) as a big text file that includes all posts and all PM.

I give you my word that I will never install or use such one of these add-ins and I will never read your private messages. It goes completely against my personal feelings on the importance of privacy. Nor will I extend that privilege to others who have admin rights.

In any case, it seemed proper to make this clarification in the spirit of full disclosure.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Oh, brother. you are an ok admin. Not sure about "super."
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Oh, brother. you are an ok admin. Not sure about "super."
        I am hoping to be a fabulous admin someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          I need to clarify this. I have learned recently that there are a number of add-ins that can be downloaded and installed for vbulletin that allow the super admin (me) and selected admins to read PM. The entire CUF database can also be downloaded with one click (by me) as a big text file that includes all posts and all PM.

I give you my word that I will never install or use such one of these add-ins and I will never read your private messages. It goes completely against my personal feelings on the importance of privacy. Nor will I extend that privilege to others who have admin rights.

In any case, it seemed proper to make this clarification in the spirit of full disclosure.

Holy Crap...if I had that type of crazy power in the palm of my hand like you have, I would be reading everyone's private messages. I would have to steer clear though of all of Bab's steamy boardmails to Falfalalfelel.
          Last edited by UteStar; 10-23-2009, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X