BYU Prediction Contest 2014: Diffuse Priors Can Be a Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU Prediction Contest 2014: Diffuse Priors Can Be a Problem

Do not submit a prediction score in this thread. It just explains the contest.

Each week a score of 100 is possible. Here is the formula:

Code:
    Points = 34*winner + 33*f(|MOVD|) + 33*g(d(predicted,actual))

Winner = 1 if the winning team is correctly picked, 0 otherwise
    MOVD   = margin of victory diferrential: Predicted (MOV) - Actual(MOV)
    d( , ) = Euclidean distance

f(x)    = 1 - 0.75(x/15)  if       x <= 5,
            = 1 - 1.00(x/15)  if  4  < x <= 10
            = 1 - 1.25(x/15)  if  10 < x <= 12
            = 0               if  15 < x

g(x)    = 1 - 0.70(x/20)  if       x <= 5,
            = 1 - 0.90(x/20)  if  5  < x <= 10
            = 1 - 1.15(x/20)  if  10 < x <= 17
            = 0               if  20 < x
    If you don't like the formula, suggest something different. I won't listen.

Format for scores:
    ---------------------
    BYU|X
    OPPONENT|Y
    ---------------------

First line of the post must be BYU and then the numerical score prediction. The second line must be the opponent name and the numerical score prediction. The data are collected by a little script I wrote so if you make things non-standard it makes it more likely that your prediction doesn't get counted. You must use the pipe delimiter (not a lower case "l", a "|") ... the script scans for the delimiter. The script doesn't care that you prefer a different delimiter. Don't add any other punctation. I am not going to check time stamps for predictions so your on your honor for not posting a prediction ex post. BYU or a reasonable variation (my view of reasonable, not yours) on the team name must be used or the script will not recognize (and hence record) your offering. You can use call the opponent anything you want (in case you like to mock the opponent via your choice of name).

FAQ
    -----
    1. If a diffuse prior is used in Bayesian estimation is there an easy way to tell whether the prior is still having a large impact on the posterior distribution of the estimate?

Yeah, often in a situation like that you will get a long tail to the posterior distribution. So, you might get the center mass at 1 but very little mass extends close to zero but the right tail has significant mass even out to 9 or 10.

2. Is the preceding relevant to anything on the cougarstadium?

Yes.
    Last edited by pelagius; 08-22-2014, 11:44 AM.

Originally posted by pelagius View Post

Comment

I didn't read the post. Was just following imanihonjin. Thanks a lot!
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
        I moved it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
          I'll start it off

BYU|38
          UCONN|16

Thanks for the FAQ.....very helpful.
          Apparently not that helpful.

Edit: Dang it, now my joke is not funny...probably wasn't funny in the first place.
          "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Thanks a lot!
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
              I hope you learned your lesson.

Comment

I am not going to check time stamps for predictions so your on your honor for not posting a prediction ex post.
                You know, YO or some Utes might participate. Sure you don't want to reconsider?
                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

I loved the FAQ. Didn't understand a word.

Comment

Working...
                  X