LDS.org Gospel Topics article about the Book of Abraham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    In other words, it's a surreal, hilarious experience to see people here cite science as they lecture about any skepticism over the climate change bandwagon, and then with a straight face engage the LDS pamphlet about translation and historicity of the Book of Abraham. Mormonism is fucking weird.
    Yes, that was basically what I was trying to say when I commented about leather sandals.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Mormonism is fucking weird.
      And you're admittedly really into weird fucking. Funny how just a small change in word order can make you love or hate something.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        And you're admittedly really into weird fucking. Funny how just a small change in word order can make you love or hate something.
        YOhio just completed a chiasmus!
        That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

In other words, it's a surreal, hilarious experience to see people here cite science as they lecture about any skepticism over the climate change bandwagon, and then with a straight face engage the LDS pamphlet about translation and historicity of the Book of Abraham. Mormonism is fucking weird.
            Would you call any other religion F'en weird? Especially personally tell that to someone who believes in that religion?

I could see myself casually saying to a person, your religion seems weird to me. I wouldn't ever assault someone's belief like that to them personally by calling it F'en weird. I just can't see you saying to a Muslim, your religion is F'en weird. Maybe I misjudge you.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
              Would you call any other religion F'en weird? Especially personally tell that to someone who believes in that religion?

I could see myself casually saying to a person, your religion seems weird to me. I wouldn't ever assault someone's belief like that to them personally. I just can't see you saying to a Muslim, your religion is F'en weird. Maybe I misjudge you.
              I could easily say such a thing about almost any religion, but especially Scientology.

There is nothing really sacred about religion--only contrived sacredness.

I'm pretty damn sure you would think that any pagan religion was incredibly weird.
              That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post

I could see myself casually saying to a person, your religion seems weird to me. I wouldn't ever assault someone's belief like that to them personally by calling it F'en weird. I just can't see you saying to a Muslim, your religion is F'en weird. Maybe I misjudge you.
                SU is still smarting over being exposed as an anti-science nutjob, so he is just lashing out whenever he can.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Getting rid of the facsimiles would be a serious blow to the local tourism trade at the BYU Jerusalem Center. What are the students going to take home as souvenirs?

And where does it end? First you get rid of the facsimiles, then what? The affordable silver rings with hebrew lettering on them? the leather sandals with single toe strap? I want to steer clear of such a slippery slope.
                  I hadn't thought of the burgeoning Jerusalem Center trade! My MIL brought home a facsimile on papyrus and gave it to us as a gift. Now that I think of it, I haven't checked to see if it includes god's penis.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                    I could easily say such a thing about almost any religion, but especially Scientology.

There is nothing really sacred about religion--only contrived sacredness.

I'm pretty damn sure you would think that any pagan religion was incredibly weird.
                    Not my point that there aren't weird religions. I can totaly understand why someone would consider my religion as weird.

I am just saying I would have to have a lot of hate for someone's religion to call it f'en weird to them. Like I said, your religion seems weird to me would be harsh enough. The other way of putting it just shows a loss of emotional control.

Comment

Who needs love when you've got silicon and strap-ons!!
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        David Bokovoy weighs in on FB:

I kind of like the idea of doing these articles, but not if they are going to just hand it off to the FAIR crowd. Ugh...
                        Thanks for posting this. I heard he had major problems with the essay but am not friends with him on Facebook. Interesting.

NOM and Reddit are murdering these essays, which is to be expected. But it's worse than the other ones. Is it because the essay is that bad? Is it because they view the BOA as the smoking gun? I don't know. I've only skimmed the essay myself.
                        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Who needs love when you've got silicon and strap-ons!!
                          Dock it off!
                          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            David Bokovoy weighs in on FB:

I kind of like the idea of doing these articles, but not if they are going to just hand it off to the FAIR crowd. Ugh...
                            I just don't know how you avoid that. That's why I don't like these articles--they're not going to satisfy anyone that FAIR wouldn't.
                            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Yes, that was basically what I was trying to say when I commented about leather sandals.
                              Lol.
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                                I just don't know how you avoid that. That's why I don't like these articles--they're not going to satisfy anyone that FAIR wouldn't.
                                Hmmm. I am not sure that's correct. They are an important step for the church.

First, it is in writing. In the past it was rare that these types of issues were ever addressed in writing outside of conference talks. Here the church is sticking its neck out and taking a position. Even if most people paying attention don't like it, the fact that they took a specific written position is significant.

Second, by taking a written position it forces the church to evaluate the issue and to think through the position. Again, many people such as yourself, may not find it satisfying, but it provides a reasoned starting point for dialog. This article, for example, provides appropriate and authorized bases for discussing translation, the nature of prophecy and revelation, the scope and meaning of scripturally based truth, etc. This is very important, in my mind, in order to increase the tent, as some here have put it. The orthodox may still cling to their views, but they may also loosen hold in light of these comments. The less than orthodox feel included and maybe emboldened to talk about their ideas. The searching see that it isn't McConkie's Mormon Doctrine church anymore.

SO, while I understand why you don't find it satisfying, I think it is very useful and important and, in the long run, is exactly the sort of thing that will help the church.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X