Star Wars VIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars VIII

Being written and directed by Rian Johnson. Interesting.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

So far Disney wresting Star Wars from Lucas' clutches is looking awesome, despite some initial nerdy hand wringing.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
      So far Disney wresting Star Wars from Lucas' clutches is looking awesome, despite some initial nerdy hand wringing.
      I like his stories, but telling those stories isn't necessarily his greatest strength. For example, he and Chris Claremont co-wrote the first book in the trilogy that continued the story from Willow, and Claremont did most or all of the next two books. They were great stories, and it was good to have an actual writer do the writing. I think letting others make Lucas's stories into books or movies is great for everyone.
      Not that, sickos.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
        I like his stories, but telling those stories isn't necessarily his greatest strength. For example, he and Chris Claremont co-wrote the first book in the trilogy that continued the story from Willow, and Claremont did most or all of the next two books. They were great stories, and it was good to have an actual writer do the writing. I think letting others make Lucas's stories into books or movies is great for everyone.
        He was pretty incoherent as a writer and director. There's a documentary out there (it might be The People vs. George Lucas?) that tells the story of Episode I and how the first studio screening was just crickets in there because of how tedious and incomprehensible the thing was (premised on an intergalactic trade embargo cast with a host of bad ethnic stereotypes), with Lucas sort of narrating along about how they couldn't edit this out or that out because of the chronology they built in the screen play that editing certain things would leave earlier conversations unresolved or later scenes nonsensical.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
          Being written and directed by Rian Johnson. Interesting.
          Very interesting, especially since he has never been given the keys to a big franchise blockbuster before. I really liked (not loved) Looper. Didn't really get Brick. The episodes he directed for Breaking Bad were some of the best of the series, but Gilligan controlled the writing and probably had veto power over the direction. I'm really excited to see what he does with it. Could be amazing ... could not be amazing.

Comment

I don't get why they wouldn't just stick with JJ Abrams for a few movies to see how things went.
            Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
              I don't get why they wouldn't just stick with JJ Abrams for a few movies to see how things went.
              Was this not by Abrams' choice? Seems like everyone wants to get into producing -- big bucks without the headaches of directing.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenag View Post
                Was this not by Abrams' choice? Seems like everyone wants to get into producing -- big bucks without the headaches of directing.
                Abrams has a grip of projects coming down the pike and isn't big on long-term commitment. I could see him doing a future Star Wars movie-- of course contingent on how this one fares-- outside the main series.

Comment

Abrams has a grip of projects coming down the pike and isn't big on long-term commitment. I could see him doing a future Star Wars movie-- of course contingent on how this one fares-- outside the main series.
                  That could be fun. I'm all for making a bunch of movies away from the existing story line. A diversity of movies in the Star Wars universe could be a way of adding some spice to the list of upcoming big action tentpoles and sci-fi flicks while still heeding Hollywood's preference for exploiting existing properties. It would be fun to see directors of varying styles telling unrelated stories. Would beat Marvel's box-checking, gotta-get-em-all approach to making artless and repetitive superhero movies.

Comment

IMDB says he is directing Episode IX as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Armenag View Post
                      That could be fun. I'm all for making a bunch of movies away from the existing story line. A diversity of movies in the Star Wars universe could be a way of adding some spice to the list of upcoming big action tentpoles and sci-fi flicks while still heeding Hollywood's preference for exploiting existing properties. It would be fun to see directors of varying styles telling unrelated stories. Would beat Marvel's box-checking, gotta-get-em-all approach to making artless and repetitive superhero movies.
                      They are already in production. Speculation surrounding a Han Solo origin story or a Boba Fett side project.

Comment

Kevin Smith boosts the hype!

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...visit-20140707

Comment

They are already in production. Speculation surrounding a Han Solo origin story or a Boba Fett side project.
                          So now the story is that there is going to be a Ben Kenobi trilogy. Ewan McGregor is reportedly on board, should his services be required.

However, it won't be a linear trilogy in the traditional sense; more like a trio of movies loosely connected like the 007 movies.

Comment

Disney is going to ruin this franchise.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Disney is going to ruin this franchise.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                              X