The June 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
    This is also supported by the fact that the SP spoke in sacrament meeting in that ward after the excommunication saying that Bishop Harrison was being persecuted for doing the right thing. (SP standing up for Harrison, who did the higher leaders' dirty work.)
    Got it from /r/exmormon I suppose.

Comment

• Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. It is Kate Kelly's appeal to her stake president. I am sure after reading it, his mind is totally going to change.

http://ordainwomen.org/wp-content/up...-of-Appeal.pdf

Also here is her husbands letter of support, which is also super helpful to her cause.

http://ordainwomen.org/wp-content/up...eil-Ransom.pdf

Comment

• Just read a headline about a mass resignation from the mormon church over the Kate Kelly thing.

So I read on. 500 people is a mass resignation?? LOL

I will bet I could get more than 500 to resign over the HC if I tried hard enough.

Besides, after the 500 leave, who is left in the church to care about poor Kate?

Maybe some of them will show up here to take over for Sooner and SU.

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
          Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. It is Kate Kelly's appeal to her stake president. I am sure after reading it, his mind is totally going to change.

http://ordainwomen.org/wp-content/up...-of-Appeal.pdf

Also here is her husbands letter of support, which is also super helpful to her cause.

http://ordainwomen.org/wp-content/up...eil-Ransom.pdf
          It hasn't been posted because nobody cares. She is a certifiable loon and these letters prove that.

Kate your 30 seconds of Mormon fame are over, time to move on to something else.
          *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
            It hasn't been posted because nobody cares. She is a certifiable loon and these letters prove that.

Kate your 30 seconds of Mormon fame are over, time to move on to something else.
            She will have some kind of following. I wouldn't try to guess how big, but even 500 gets the "mass" call from the Huffington Post.

Mormon is such a recognizable brand that all she has to do is mention ex-mormon and she will get some pub somewhere. I would agree though that fame amongst mormons is over.

I would also add I am sensitive to those on the board who feel women should have the Priesthood. Perhaps it will happen some day and that would be just fine with me if it does happen. My beef is with the grandstanders like Katie.

Comment

• Good grief. Dumb move.

Can't help but wonder if the OW movement will set things back (re: women's issues in the church), rather than move things forward.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Good grief. Dumb move.

Can't help but wonder if the OW movement will set things back (re: women's issues in the church), rather than move things forward.
                These things move at their own pace. It is a religion and one that is based upon faith. If one wants to be a stringpulling progmo then just have faith that your enlightened vision is the right path and that eventually the LDS religion and people will catch up to you. Forcing conflict on the organization might help in that end, but I don't think it really does as I think the LDS Church will get to where it is going with or without Kate Kelley. If personal peace and avoiding turmoil was her goal she went about it really weird. If being a martyr to a cause she believes in so deeply was her goal, or at least an acceptable by-product, then she is going about it splendidly. If changing the Mormon Church is her goal then she has a lot less common sense than even Archie Bunkeritis infected curmudgeons like '71 would ascribe to such an "intellectual." I wish her well but I am surprised that people as capable as they would purposely invite so much stress into their lives. The mormon church is going to change at its own pace that should be obvious to anyone awake and cognizant, but she wants to stand behind it and waste all her energy pushing it onto the path she thinks it should be on to only cry foul when someone inside kicks you in the teeth by reflecting the popularly held opinions?

I respect her efforts and admire her dedication to her convictions but I tend to even be impressed by the convictions of suicide bombers.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Good grief. Dumb move.

I've wondered the same thing. There is no doubt that the church changes as societal pressure increases, but there is a right way and wrong way to pressure the church from the inside, and I think this was the wrong way. Every active woman I have listened to discussing this has expressed outright disapproval of OW. Granted, I run in a pretty orthodox circle, but that is my anecdotal observation.
                  sigpic
                  "Outlined against a blue, gray
                  October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                  Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post

As usual, cougjunkie you are a great example of the love and compassion of Jesus Christ and proof that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is doing a fantastic job in helping you be more like Christ.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Couldn't resist.

You guys are unbelievable.

People said the exact same things about MLK Jr and about civil rights and protests on black men and the priesthood.

"There is a right way and a wrong way."

"MLK Jr is just setting things back."

K Kelly is no MLK Jr, but she is serving the same purpose for Mormon women. This is how change happens.

How many people got excommunicated over black men and the priesthood before things changed? Hell, some priesthood leaders were intentionally giving black men the priesthood in protest.

Things don't change without a little turmoil. K Kelly is moving things forward. She is not responsible for any church leaders who do the wrong thing and decide to wait longer to give women the priesthood. Don't blame her for the bad behavior of sexist church leaders. The Church is responsible for their own discriminatory policies. If they delay, it's their own fault.

30 years from now you'll look back and feel stupid. Imagine people talking this way about a civil rights activist. "Look at how he slowed things down by bringing attention to injustice!"

Lastly, a side note--since federal research contracts are no longer allowed with institutions who discriminate, what does this mean for BYU?? Maybe Lebowski knows the answer?
                      That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

• He's still reading and already back.
                        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Couldn't resist.

People said the exact same things about MLK Jr and about civil rights and protests on black men and the priesthood.

K Kelly is no MLK Jr, but she is serving the same purpose for Mormon women. This is how change happens.

How many people got excommunicated over black men and the priesthood before things changed? Hell, some priesthood leaders were intentionally giving black men the priesthood in protest.

Things don't change without a little turmoil. K Kelly is moving things forward. She is not responsible for any church leaders who do the wrong thing and decide to wait longer to give women the priesthood. Don't blame her for the bad behavior of sexist church leaders. The Church is responsible for their own discriminatory policies. If they delay, it's their own fault.

30 years from now you'll look back and feel stupid. Imagine people talking this way about a civil rights activist. "Look at how he slowed things down by bringing attention to injustice!"
                          Welcome back, stranger. How long did you last? A week?

So now questioning some poor judgment and strategic errors in the OW leadership is tantamount to being against the civil rights movement? Looks like your hyperbole is still in full force after your brief hiatus.

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                          Lastly, a side note--since federal research contracts are no longer allowed with institutions who discriminate, what does this mean for BYU?? Maybe Lebowski knows the answer?
                          No idea.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Couldn't resist.

That is your mustard seed Brother Sooner! The cool part is how when Martin Luther King went around breaking the chains of black people it was just like Kate Kelley in that all the black people disliked Martin Luther King but it was all the non-black people who kept assuring the black people that Martin Luther King was really a hero and that one day the black people would revere Martin Luther King like Americans revere Thomas Jefferson!

COME SEE THE REPRESSION THAT IS INHERENT IN THE SYSTEM!
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                              I've wondered the same thing. There is no doubt that the church changes as societal pressure increases, but there is a right way and wrong way to pressure the church from the inside, and I think this was the wrong way. Every active woman I have listened to discussing this has expressed outright disapproval of OW. Granted, I run in a pretty orthodox circle, but that is my anecdotal observation.
                              It's funny how our circles influence our view. Every active woman I've talked to about it is no longer active. If that makes sense.

I think overal, you'll see a few thousand people leave over this. That's not a lot of people when you are talking about 5 million. They won't be noticed outside of the local sphere, probably.
                              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• I think I just saw a ghost!
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X