Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone used The Home Depot or Lowe's for wood flooring purchase and installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used The Home Depot or Lowe's for wood flooring purchase and installation?

We've just purchased an investment property in Durham and the carpet is old and in need of replacement. For a number of reasons we've elected to install wood flooring throughout all the carpeted areas of the house. I'd like to think it'd be better to hire someone local to do the installation, but the large hardware stores compete on price to the degree of 10-20% cheaper. Does anyone have experience using a big-box hardware store to do a flooring install? Any red flags you'd be willing to share with me?
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

Not sure if my experience is relevant, but a couple years ago I looked into buying flooring at the home warehouse stores but ended up going with Empire. Empire's price installed was less than what HD wanted to charge for just the material, and it looked cooler too. I was only looking at synthetics, but that's twice now that I've had a good experience with Empire.

Comment

I used Home Depot but that's because I know the guy that owns the installer hd uses in our area. He tells me quality is a mixed bag among hd contractors.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        We've just purchased an investment property in Durham and the carpet is old and in need of replacement. For a number of reasons we've elected to install wood flooring throughout all the carpeted areas of the house. I'd like to think it'd be better to hire someone local to do the installation, but the large hardware stores compete on price to the degree of 10-20% cheaper. Does anyone have experience using a big-box hardware store to do a flooring install? Any red flags you'd be willing to share with me?
        If you go with Home Depot or Lowe's, you'll end up with a local installer. They contract with local installers do to their installation. Empire does the same thing. As a result, every experience is different, because every installer is different.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Awesome. Looking into Empire. Thanks.
          Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
            I used Home Depot but that's because I know the guy that owns the installer hd uses in our area. He tells me quality is a mixed bag among hd contractors.
            Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            If you go with Home Depot or Lowe's, you'll end up with a local installer. They contract with local installers do to their installation. Empire does the same thing. As a result, every experience is different, because every installer is different.
            Thanks. Will also talk to HD.
            Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Working...
            X