On abortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best take on abortion, IMHO.

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
      Please tell me you also support cheap and easy access to birth control. If you don't, it is nothing more than moralizing without actually addressing the core issue.
      Yes, I fully support something that already exists.

Let's not sugar coat what happens when a fetus is aborted. And please, no more emotional pleas for men to tell their wonderful abortion stories. It's not wonderful, and men don't have a choice in the matter, so why celebrate that?
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
        Best take on abortion, IMHO.

So awesome.

And very thoughtful of you to include the Spanish subtitles so wap could understand the content. But I wonder if the jokes really translate over.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Does anyone really believe R v. W will be overturned? Regardless of who replaces Kennedy, I can't see it being undone. Roberts has proven he doesn't want to make waves, and he'd surely vote to keep it. I wouldn't be surprised if if Gorsuch did the same. I can't see it ever being undone.
          sigpic
          "Outlined against a blue, gray
          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
            Does anyone really believe R v. W will be overturned? Regardless of who replaces Kennedy, I can't see it being undone. Roberts has proven he doesn't want to make waves, and he'd surely vote to keep it. I wouldn't be surprised if if Gorsuch did the same. I can't see it ever being undone.
            Nope, r v w won’t be overturned and contraception won’t be banned. It’s all leftist fear mongering.

Apparently Kavanaugh is less conservative than Gorsuch, according to some nytimes scoring mechanism. Kind f funny given the hissy fit some leftists are throwing.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Does anyone really believe R v. W will be overturned? Regardless of who replaces Kennedy, I can't see it being undone. Roberts has proven he doesn't want to make waves, and he'd surely vote to keep it. I wouldn't be surprised if if Gorsuch did the same. I can't see it ever being undone.
              Outright overturned, as in a case arises in 2019 wherein the holding is in effect "Roe v. Wade is now dead letter"? Probably not, but who knows. You just can't understate how poor a decision was Roe-- even defenders of the right to abortion will admit that it is a pathetic piece of work. (In fact, one could argue it has already been overturned; to the extent there is a constitutional right to an abortion, it largely emanates from Planned Parenthood v. Casey, not Roe.) Roe is the classic case of a panel of judges deciding a policy issue better left to the political branches, and it would not be inconsistent with the mantra conservative jurists have been touting for the last three decades to acknowledge that the judicial grant of the right to an abortion was a legal miscarriage.

But no, public perception of the court still matters (in fact it is all the Court really has), and it doesn't serve anyone's interests to suggest the law changes when a new judge takes the bench. So the action will happen when the court grants and denies certiorari. If a case presents itself as an opportunity to cleanly overturn Roe, they'll turn it down. What they will do instead is pare it back by considering the issues on the fringe, where the right to an abortion is weighed against any number of other legitimate governmental interests, each of which they will find outweighs the right to an abortion without saying outright that the right to an abortion has no weight at all. Roe only gets overturned outright if some circuit court picks up on the cues and decides there's nothing left to Roe and creates a circuit split.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

I agree, it's unlikely. But not impossible. Both the president and vice-president are on record saying they will work to get it overturned. And I haven't checked in years, but I know it was a platform policy in every RNC election cycle for decades.

Democrats and independents who hear this continually from the republican side, for decades, will understandably take them at their word. You can't blame them for being at least concerned that it's a possibility.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  So awesome.

And very thoughtful of you to include the Spanish subtitles so wap could understand the content. But I wonder if the jokes really translate over.
                  wuap too busy tilting at windmills. Just yesterday he was bitching about some stupid thing on the FB. He unfriended me over my comment. Sad!
                  You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                  Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                  You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                    Outright overturned, as in a case arises in 2019 wherein the holding is in effect "Roe v. Wade is now dead letter"? Probably not, but who knows. You just can't understate how poor a decision was Roe-- even defenders of the right to abortion will admit that it is a pathetic piece of work. (In fact, one could argue it has already been overturned; to the extent there is a constitutional right to an abortion, it largely emanates from Planned Parenthood v. Casey, not Roe.) Roe is the classic case of a panel of judges deciding a policy issue better left to the political branches, and it would not be inconsistent with the mantra conservative jurists have been touting for the last three decades to acknowledge that the judicial grant of the right to an abortion was a legal miscarriage.

But no, public perception of the court still matters (in fact it is all the Court really has), and it doesn't serve anyone's interests to suggest the law changes when a new judge takes the bench. So the action will happen when the court grants and denies certiorari. If a case presents itself as an opportunity to cleanly overturn Roe, they'll turn it down. What they will do instead is pare it back by considering the issues on the fringe, where the right to an abortion is weighed against any number of other legitimate governmental interests, each of which they will find outweighs the right to an abortion without saying outright that the right to an abortion has no weight at all. Roe only gets overturned outright if some circuit court picks up on the cues and decides there's nothing left to Roe and creates a circuit split.
                    I am not a legal scholar but didn't R vs W come down to some implied right of privacy? If so, can we get the NSA/FBI/CIA to stop listening to all our phone calls?

Speaking of which, Drumpf's pick for the SCOTUS sided with the spooks for spying on us (i.e., he is no fan of online privacy). Forget abortion, you dumb liberals, this is the real reason you should vote against this pick! I hope Rand votes against him.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

I agree that this is how the Supreme Court would act if it is going to "overturn" the precedent. I am doubtful that it will be overturned, given that 24% of the electorate wants an absolute right, and another 57% wants a right that is only slightly limited, the Supreme Court is not about changing simply to accommodate the 16% who want an outright complete ban. I just don't see it. And with Casey around, there is no need to deal with the tortured logic of R. v. W.
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• This seems like a perfectly rational response to someone who disagrees with your stance on abortion

Comment

• I approve of the roundhouse kick as a solution to most of life's problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                            I approve of the roundhouse kick as a solution to most of life's problems.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• Interesting take on the Alabama abortion law...

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                Interesting take on the Alabama abortion law...

Its best to just ignore Matt Walsh...seriously
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                                X