No announcement yet.

Strava

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Strava will blank out the start/end location of your rides on the map if you wish. Also, you don't have to let any one see your rides if you don't want. You can make your profile private so that only those people whom you approve can see your rides.

Comment

I only used Strava periodically (usually on speed workouts where I was curious how I matched up). I pulled it up again on my phone the other day when I got out for the first time again on my road bike, only to have a brief PTSD episode when I saw that my last workout was my fateful run that ruined the following three months of my life.
      http://www.strava.com/activities/101200563
      It shows the precise location where my leg broke. Still gives me the heebs to look at that. I guess I'll want to remember that some day, but right now is just too soon.

If I ever get my leg working again, I'll have to get back on more frequently. I mostly didn't like taking last on segments on recovery runs or when I stopped to chat with a friend while I didn't even know I was on a segment. Grr.
      Last edited by ERCougar; 05-01-2014, 04:37 PM.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        I only used Strava periodically (usually on speed workouts where I was curious how I matched up). I pulled it up again on my phone the other day when I got out for the first time again on my road bike, only to have a brief PTSD episode when I saw that my last workout was my fateful run that ruined the following three months of my life.
        http://www.strava.com/activities/101200563
        It shows the precise location where my leg broke. Still gives me the heebs to look at that. I guess I'll want to remember that some day, but right now is just too soon.

If I ever get my leg working again, I'll have to get back on more frequently. I mostly didn't like taking last on segments on recovery runs or when I stopped to chat with a friend while I didn't even know I was on a segment. Grr.
        Oh man, I had forgotten about your accident, which sounded awful. It's interesting (and unfortunate) how an accident can set one back months or even years (I know!). I hope you're back on the road regularly and soon. At least we'll always have Tahoe...

Comment

Another example of the downside of Strava.... I was studying various segments of the Wine Country Century we're riding tomorrow. I rode this last year, but bonked and bailed, finishing with only 89 miles. I noticed in some of the climbing segments I averaged only 8 mph or so, waaaaay back on the leaderboard (bottom quartile). Others did those segments averaging in the low 20's. Sheesh. Of course, one of the leaders on several segments was Levi Leipheimer, but still.

Our little group isn't going to do the full double metric tomorrow, and we'll opt instead for a "century plus", around 108 miles with lots of climbs. Who cares what Strava thinks of my ride--I just want to finish.

Comment

I follow Lance Armstrong on Strava. I really didn't expect him to put much on there but he rides almost every day. It's interesting to read the comments after one of his rides, he still has a very devoted following out there. Perhaps this is his way of still being admired on a bike. I wondered if his cycling was just a vehicle to financial success for him but I think he really did love to ride. To bad be was a dick.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
              I follow Lance Armstrong on Strava. I really didn't expect him to put much on there but he rides almost every day. It's interesting to read the comments after one of his rides, he still has a very devoted following out there. Perhaps this is his way of still being admired on a bike. I wondered if his cycling was just a vehicle to financial success for him but I think he really did love to ride. To bad be was a dick.
              I heard that about him from someone who trained with him pre-TdF and pre-cancer. So, at least he's consistent.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Has anyone see (and used) this Strava feature? If you've done a route that had other Strava-participants around the same time (doesn't matter if you're friends with them), this will show you whom you passed and show your respective locations at the same time throughout the ride.

I was in survival mode last Saturday on my metric century ride, but I still managed to pass several others and it's cool to see the times and places where that happened. I can see that as I approached the end, there were a few I managed to stay ahead of for a thrilling finish, of which I was completely unaware at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  Has anyone see (and used) this Strava feature? If you've done a route that had other Strava-participants around the same time (doesn't matter if you're friends with them), this will show you whom you passed and show your respective locations at the same time throughout the ride.

I was in survival mode last Saturday on my metric century ride, but I still managed to pass several others and it's cool to see the times and places where that happened. I can see that as I approached the end, there were a few I managed to stay ahead of for a thrilling finish, of which I was completely unaware at the time.
                  I like that. I can't find it on my Strava, how do I get an activity to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                    I like that. I can't find it on my Strava, how do I get an activity to show up.
                    Pick one of your recorded rides ('would be cool if you have Lotoja on there) and copy that ride's URL. Past that URL into the box in the upper right of the Strava Labs link in my previous post. It's hard to understand at first but you'll figure it out.

Comment

Pick one of your recorded rides ('would be cool if you have Lotoja on there) and copy that ride's URL. Past that URL into the box in the upper right of the Strava Labs link in my previous post. It's hard to understand at first but you'll figure it out.
                      Just did Lotoja. We had five in our group and it was interesting to see where we got split up and how close we were to each other until we regrouped. I like that.

Comment

That is a very cool feature. I ran Lotoja on it and it looks like RC and I crossed paths at one of the aid stations. It was also interesting to see how my progress compared to my team. I was always curious to know where I was compared to them and had tried to visualize it from the splits of our chips, but this is much better.
                        When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
                          That is a very cool feature. I ran Lotoja on it and it looks like RC and I crossed paths at one of the aid stations. It was also interesting to see how my progress compared to my team. I was always curious to know where I was compared to them and had tried to visualize it from the splits of our chips, but this is much better.
                          It looks like I should have grabbed your wheel at the top of Strawberry.

Comment

Pretty cool. I need to start riding when/where other people are out and about.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Those among us who aspire to the honors of men, or at least of Strava, should be aware that they've started a new feature where one can get a KOM or a QOM on all segments for the current year, in addition to the usual KOM/QOM alltime (the symbol for the year's award is an outline of the solid trophy awarded for alltime achievements). I have to take a couple of weeks off of the bike, but realizing she'd be among the first to ride this year over several of her segments, the missus went out on her own and came back with over 30 QOMs and a few second place finishes as well. It's all very silly, of course, but that won't stop her from being insufferable for a few days.

If you want to impress absolutely no one other than yourself, hit the road over some measured segments and pack your trophy case.

Comment

Using the Flyby feature has become a regular part of the review process after a ride. It's a kick to see others out of the road and where we crossed, passed, or got dropped by other Strava users. At the risk of exposing myself as a stalker, I've liked using Flyby when looking at, say, RCV's group rides. One can zero in and see who's pulling, getting dropped, etc. and how everyone joins up at the start and peels off at the end. It can also be embarrassing that others can see how much work my wife does on certain rides.

Comment

Working...
                                X