Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strava

Pretty fascinating article. Especially for you Californians.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/03/who-i...strava-legend/
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Operation Hot Mother Parrot Head's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post

I didn't realize LA was so serious about cycling, but, yes, that was quite the interesting piece.
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

I just got notified that I lost my KOM slot for a half-mile segment on a ride from last September.

First, I was shocked that I had a KOM position for anything. Second, I was shocked that it had stood for several months. Third, at #8 on the KOM ranking, I see a kid from my ward who races competitively - I know he's a lot faster than I am.

In retrospect, if I was going to have a KOM, this makes sense - very short, very flat. It is on a somewhat busy street, though, so that kind of surprises me - there are 183 users ranked on the segment. I'm still wondering if there was some glitch in the program that put me on top.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    I just got notified that I lost my KOM slot for a half-mile segment on a ride from last September.

First, I was shocked that I had a KOM position for anything. Second, I was shocked that it had stood for several months. Third, at #8 on the KOM ranking, I see a kid from my ward who races competitively - I know he's a lot faster than I am.

In retrospect, if I was going to have a KOM, this makes sense - very short, very flat. It is on a somewhat busy street, though, so that kind of surprises me - there are 183 users ranked on the segment. I'm still wondering if there was some glitch in the program that put me on top.
    You left your GPS on while you put the bike in your car and drove home?

Finally got around to reading this article. A very good read.

Strava is huge in Southern California. At least the places that I've ridden. There are several climbs that I've done around Ventura and especially around San Diego where I've put in a decent effort on a climb only to find myself ranked something like 13,000th overall.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Finally got around to reading this article. A very good read.

Strava is huge in Southern California. At least the places that I've ridden. There are several climbs that I've done around Ventura and especially around San Diego where I've put in a decent effort on a climb only to find myself ranked something like 13,000th overall.
    I used to get depressed seeing how far down the list I ranked on the various segments. I derived some comfort by going Premium so that I was able to see how I compared within my age group, but even that showed me to be mediocre. Now, I simply compare my time with my previous efforts, and remind myself that Strava participants are hardly a cross-section of the general populace.

Last night on our group ride the first 1/3 of the ride was dedicated to taking back a KOM from an out-of-towner on a climb. During our rides we will be rolling along and someone will yell segment and off we go. There are probably about five segments I would call high profile segments that riders are aware who currently sits at the top and how fast. The wind will blow about 95% of the time out of the south here, when a north wind happens guys are out attacking southbound segments because of the north wind. We found out one guy got a KOM by drafting behind a truck, his reputation now is similar to a golfer that would kick his ball out of a hazard. Like PAC, I've started comparing my efforts to others in my age group because I kept falling farther and farther down the list. On the plus side I just tell new riders to get on Strava and look at the routes the locals do, they know the best and least crowded roads. I enjoy looking at what others have done and where they ride but if you're not careful it can feel like you're in a race every ride.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    You left your GPS on while you put the bike in your car and drove home?
    Just looked back at the full ride that day. You are exactly right.

Now I'm really impressed with the guy who took the KOM. Also, I'm surprised that's the only segment that got me KOM.
    Last edited by Pelado; 05-04-2016 at 03:10 PM.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Just looked back at the full ride that day. You are exactly right.

Now I'm really impressed with the guy who took the KOM. Also, I'm surprised that's the only segment that got me KOM.
    I guessed it because the only KOM I've ever recorded in my life was when I did the same thing. You can edit the segment and crop off the back of the ride so that nobody accuses you of being a KOM poser. My glorious KOM lasted a whopping 2 hours until a buddy pointed out that I was doing 40 mph uphill.

I guessed it because the only KOM I've ever recorded in my life was when I did the same thing. You can edit the segment and crop off the back of the ride so that nobody accuses you of being a KOM poser. My glorious KOM lasted a whopping 2 hours until a buddy pointed out that I was doing 40 mph uphill.
    Strava also provides for a protest from third parties if a KOM is obviously phony, and after a review they may bounce the poser. Occasionally, I'll see segments where riders maintained speeds of >45 mph over a long stretch, but I didn't have the energy to file a protest.

Thanks. I just cropped that ride as well as one other that I found with a similar issue. I feel clean again.
    - Goatnapper'96

This is a satisfying update.

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/12/gaim...s-strava-koms/
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

That was a good read. I was intrigued by his assertion that Horner was doing things that weren't exactly "upright." Did I miss Horner cheating? What was he talking about?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    That was a good read. I was intrigued by his assertion that Horner was doing things that weren't exactly "upright." Did I miss Horner cheating? What was he talking about?
    To answer my own question:

https://kennettron.wordpress.com/201...orners-return/
    https://www.outsideonline.com/191919...ssport-problem

I had forgotten about Horner's miraculous (ahem) vuelta victory at the age of 41. Sigh.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Gaimon seems like a good guy, I like that he is out getting these KOM's.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    I started reading Tyler Hamilton's book last week and it's fascinating to see what they did. I wonder how long until SKY gets taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post

I started reading Tyler Hamilton's book last week and it's fascinating to see what they did. I wonder how long until SKY gets taken down.
    It was a good read.

I hope SKY crashes and burns.

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Gaimon seems like a good guy, I like that he is out getting these KOM's.
    Gaimon on has made KOM's his life purpose. And built an modified 13.5 pound bike as his weapon of choice.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/a...om-bike-50210/
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 06-23-2017 at 02:57 PM.

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Saw this thread on Strava and thought I would offer an alternate point of view.

I like to use Strava just as a way to make myself get some exercise on a regular basis. If I can walk three miles or ride ten a few times a week, I'm happy. Strava makes it easy to check that I've actually been walking (or riding) for 45 minutes rather than quitting at 20.

It has helped me understand the occasional more difficult rides as well. I like to ride up Pleasanton Ridge once in a while, which is one of the rare serious workouts that I bother with. Round trip is about five miles and it usually takes me half an hour to get up to the top and fifteen minutes back down. My goal is to get to the point where I don't have to get off and walk up the steeper parts. The last time I did that ride I walked all the way back down because I got a flat at the top that I couldn't fix.

Even though I'm not interested in attaining a KOM somewhere or even comparing myself to anybody else, I still find Strava to be a very useful tool to help me exercise.

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    Saw this thread on Strava and thought I would offer an alternate point of view.

I like to use Strava just as a way to make myself get some exercise on a regular basis. If I can walk three miles or ride ten a few times a week, I'm happy. Strava makes it easy to check that I've actually been walking (or riding) for 45 minutes rather than quitting at 20.

It has helped me understand the occasional more difficult rides as well. I like to ride up Pleasanton Ridge once in a while, which is one of the rare serious workouts that I bother with. Round trip is about five miles and it usually takes me half an hour to get up to the top and fifteen minutes back down. My goal is to get to the point where I don't have to get off and walk up the steeper parts. The last time I did that ride I walked all the way back down because I got a flat at the top that I couldn't fix.

Even though I'm not interested in attaining a KOM somewhere or even comparing myself to anybody else, I still find Strava to be a very useful tool to help me exercise.
    I'll never get a KOM, but I like how it tracks my efforts against my previous efforts. I got PR's on about a dozen segments on my bike ride to work this morning, even though I didn't feel i rode particularly fast or strong. Mountain biking the hills is helping quite a bit, I guess.

It also adds motivation when I see others I know out running or riding. If i haven't ridden in a couple of days and I see my brother just finished a nice ride, it pumps me up to get out that night or the next morning.

I did a hike to and from a mountain lake with my son on Saturday. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn on the Strava app before we started. I made sure to turn it on while we were relaxing at the lake. I was feeling pretty good about the hike until I checked the app later. I saw that PAC, in less time than our hike, covered more than twice as much ground and climbed (and descended) 1,000+ more feet than we had.
    - Goatnapper'96

I did a hike to and from a mountain lake with my son on Saturday. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn on the Strava app before we started. I made sure to turn it on while we were relaxing at the lake. I was feeling pretty good about the hike until I checked the app later. I saw that PAC, in less time than our hike, covered more than twice as much ground and climbed (and descended) 1,000+ more feet than we had.
    Kudo's to PAC. PAC is pretty amazing, he's got a good workout on there almost everyday.

RC, you and Pelado are being too kind, esp. in view of your speed and distances, which I note are on the upswing. But thanks. I remain a firm adherent to the basic tenet of Younger Next Year, that by exercising for one hour six days a week (four cardio, two resistance), one's health, fitness and happiness are greatly improved. But this is much, much easier when one is an empty-nester.

BTW, for every run or hike I post, the missus typically posts a 45-mile bike ride, or the occasional long walk, and she walks at a 13-minute/mile pace or faster. I have to stay active or she'll crush me, perhaps literally.

Have you hooked up your Strava with Relive yet? It doesn't give you anymore info but it does trace your run or ride on a google type map.

Have you hooked up your Strava with Relive yet? It doesn't give you anymore info but it does trace your run or ride on a google type map.
    I have. My hope is to do cool run this evening. I'll try and upload and post.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    I hadn't seen one yet with pictures also, I really like that. Looks like a beautiful place for a run.

I hadn't seen one yet with pictures also, I really like that. Looks like a beautiful place for a run.
    It was fun. I was driving back from Sacramento and stopped at a trailhead I found. The water wasn't too cold in the lake so I took a little swim at 8000 ft. Also almost stepped on a rattlesnake which was scary. I didn't know they hung out at that high of elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    It was fun. I was driving back from Sacramento and stopped at a trailhead I found. The water wasn't too cold in the lake so I took a little swim at 8000 ft. Also almost stepped on a rattlesnake which was scary. I didn't know they hung out at that high of elevation.
    Looks like a beautiful place. Do you have to actually press start on your phone through the relive app or does it automatically sync with strava?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Looks like a beautiful place. Do you have to actually press start on your phone through the relive app or does it automatically sync with strava?
    It syncs with strava, which is pulling from garmin express. When it detects a new activity it gives you a notification. Then in the app it looks for photos taken during the activity and will add them automatically to the video. For each activity you have to authorize it to process the activity, so it doesn't just make them on its own. It says it takes up to 2 hours to create the video, but that one last night took about 15 minutes before it notified me that it was ready.

Pretty easy.