Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strava

Default Strava

Strava has brought some added enjoyment to my cycling. I like seeing how others are doing and locally it's fun to compare yourself to others. Yesterday we had a strong wind out of the north, wind almost always blows out of the south here, so I fought a strong head wind for about 30 minutes to get to a measured segment. I'm a terrible climber but the wind was strong enough to really give me a push up this hill and I just missed the best time by 5 seconds. That may be the one down side to this is that it doesn't take into account the wind or weather but guess they could have been out yesterday also. I like how you can compare current rides against rides in the past, this could be a real motivator to really push when you're out by yourself.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Strava has brought some added enjoyment to my cycling. I like seeing how others are doing and locally it's fun to compare yourself to others. Yesterday we had a strong wind out of the north, wind almost always blows out of the south here, so I fought a strong head wind for about 30 minutes to get to a measured segment. I'm a terrible climber but the wind was strong enough to really give me a push up this hill and I just missed the best time by 5 seconds. That may be the one down side to this is that it doesn't take into account the wind or weather but guess they could have been out yesterday also. I like how you can compare current rides against rides in the past, this could be a real motivator to really push when you're out by yourself.
    Excuse my ignorance, what is Strava?

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, what is Strava?
    It is a Czech beer that includes EPO. It makes slow guys fast. You should try it!
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Just remember to not let it motivate you too much: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...g-death_224889

Two years ago, William “Kim” Flint lost his life descending a hill in Berkeley’s Tilden Park, braking suddenly to avoid a car and losing control of his bike. According to his family, Flint was chasing a new fastest time on the popular cycling website Strava, which allows users to compare times over a section of road or trail using GPS units.

San Francisco’s local ABC News affiliate has reported that Flint’s family is now suing San Francisco-based Strava for the death, claiming negligence and that the website encouraged him to speed.
    Strava eventually won the lawsuit: http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...y-death_289714
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Just remember to not let it motivate you too much: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...g-death_224889

Strava eventually won the lawsuit: http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...y-death_289714
    Strava did eventually win, but it also decided to no longer post fastest times for certain segments it deems dangerous (my guess is they use some sort of logarithm based on grade and direction) It can be pretty damn annoying, to be honest.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Strava did eventually win, but it also decided to no longer post fastest times for certain segments it deems dangerous (my guess is they use some sort of logarithm based on grade and direction) It can be pretty damn annoying, to be honest.
    Is it a map your ride type of thing?

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Is it a map your ride type of thing?
    It's a web-based service that allows runners and riders to upload runs/rides from their GPS enabled device. It provides lots of details concerning the route, many of which will have already been divided into segments where you can compete against yourself and others. I was bummed to see that I often rank in the middle of the pack, or worse, on most segments, but I have to keep reminding myself that the reporting pool is limited to fit people who care enough to do this.

You can follow friends and others (including a lot of pros) and see their daily workouts, assuming they post their activities, which makes it very motivating. I care too much about what others think of me, and I envision my Strava friends' disappointment when I'm tempted to blow off a morning ride or run. Like they care. Go to Strava.com and use the Athlete Search to look up RCVikings, P'dip, bluegoose, moliere and few others around here by our real names and you can see what we've been doing. I'm the anchorman of the group.

[Non-humble self-adulation alert] That said, on this morning's short ride I thought back to a time on this board when I asked if it was possible (or simply unwise) for a guy my age to attempt a 10K, and also whether I could ever get my average speed on a bike up above 15 mph or so. Thanks in part to the public reporting element, since the time of those posts I've run a couple of half marathons and runs of 5-8 miles are pretty routine. My wife and I rode Seattle-to-Portland at an average speed of 17 (this morning's ride was at 18), and both my wife and I are in the best shape of our lives, weighing in collectively at 50 pounds less than we did a few years ago.

Like you need any motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    ... and both my wife and I are in the best shape of our lives, weighing in collectively at 50 pounds less than we did a few years ago.
    That must be a pretty wide scale.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post

I don't think I'll risk my life over a make believe trophy but you never know, if it's close I may have to run a light or two. But seriously I have my routes and it will be nice to be able to keep track of my progress.

Pre-Historic Man

It's a web-based service that allows runners and riders to upload runs/rides from their GPS enabled device. It provides lots of details concerning the route, many of which will have already been divided into segments where you can compete against yourself and others. I was bummed to see that I often rank in the middle of the pack, or worse, on most segments, but I have to keep reminding myself that the reporting pool is limited to fit people who care enough to do this.

You can follow friends and others (including a lot of pros) and see their daily workouts, assuming they post their activities, which makes it very motivating. I care too much about what others think of me, and I envision my Strava friends' disappointment when I'm tempted to blow off a morning ride or run. Like they care. Go to Strava.com and use the Athlete Search to look up RCVikings, P'dip, bluegoose, moliere and few others around here by our real names and you can see what we've been doing. I'm the anchorman of the group.

[Non-humble self-adulation alert] That said, on this morning's short ride I thought back to a time on this board when I asked if it was possible (or simply unwise) for a guy my age to attempt a 10K, and also whether I could ever get my average speed on a bike up above 15 mph or so. Thanks in part to the public reporting element, since the time of those posts I've run a couple of half marathons and runs of 5-8 miles are pretty routine. My wife and I rode Seattle-to-Portland at an average speed of 17 (this morning's ride was at 18), and both my wife and I are in the best shape of our lives, weighing in collectively at 50 pounds less than we did a few years ago.

Like you need any motivation.
    Well done. You two should be very proud and happy with the side benefits.

I am slowly crawling away from injuries. Constant travel with my domestic arrangements makes long rides and runs near impossible. But I enjoy reading about you guys being fit.

Next year, I might return to triathloning if my knee rehabbing works out. The difficult challenge is entering events for fun and not worrying about one's time. I have yet to learn this mindset.

I don't think I'll risk my life over a make believe trophy but you never know, if it's close I may have to run a light or two. But seriously I have my routes and it will be nice to be able to keep track of my progress.
    It surprises me sometimes to see where I get faster and where I am slower. I am starting to think that some of my "trophies" result from the GPS margin of error when determining speed instead of from my prowess.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

I'll add in that I personally love Strava. It's a lot of fun to see what people (mostly family/friends) are doing for exercise all around the world. I know some people link their Strava to Facebook, but I prefer to check the Strava feed as it's not muddled with unnecessary crap/ads. I still upload all my workouts to Strava and GC, but I only check Strava on a daily basis.

I've got family training for the St. George HI, which is fun to watch. I also followed Niki Terpstra after his Paris-Roubaix win and I could see the details of his winning ride. I follow many CSers and it's awesome to see them put in miles that I can only dream of....

Bottom line is that I recommend it.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    It surprises me sometimes to see where I get faster and where I am slower. I am starting to think that some of my "trophies" result from the GPS margin of error when determining speed instead of from my prowess.
    I wouldn't trust your GPS unit, it must be off. Just do what I do to ride faster, stand in front of the mirror with your kit on and all your gear and yell "I'm Eddy F...ing Merckx and I can ride the legs off anybody". The wife may think you're a little crazy but you're be ready for more trophies.

I'm too web-shy to post on Strava. I don't like having my real name out there in too many places; I'd rather have an obfuscating username. Plus, I know I'm slowing down, not getting faster, so why make myself miserable when I see the numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    I'm too web-shy to post on Strava. I don't like having my real name out there in too many places; I'd rather have an obfuscating username. Plus, I know I'm slowing down, not getting faster, so why make myself miserable when I see the numbers?
    And Strava is especially bad as its clientele are mainly younger speedsters. If you get the premium membership, however ($5/month, I think), it breaks it down results by sex and age group which provides some solace. I'd rank fairly high among women over the age of 70, for example.

Using a fake moniker is probably a good idea. Strava also has a feature that, if requested, will fuzz up the start and finish of your ride if you don't want to show where you live. I have not availed myself of this service as I'm hopeful of being stalked by a much younger, female cyclist. Mrs. PAC laughs and says that's fine by her.

Yes, Strava will blank out the start/end location of your rides on the map if you wish. Also, you don't have to let any one see your rides if you don't want. You can make your profile private so that only those people whom you approve can see your rides.

I only used Strava periodically (usually on speed workouts where I was curious how I matched up). I pulled it up again on my phone the other day when I got out for the first time again on my road bike, only to have a brief PTSD episode when I saw that my last workout was my fateful run that ruined the following three months of my life.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/101200563
    It shows the precise location where my leg broke. Still gives me the heebs to look at that. I guess I'll want to remember that some day, but right now is just too soon.

If I ever get my leg working again, I'll have to get back on more frequently. I mostly didn't like taking last on segments on recovery runs or when I stopped to chat with a friend while I didn't even know I was on a segment. Grr.
    Last edited by ERCougar; 05-01-2014 at 04:37 PM.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    I only used Strava periodically (usually on speed workouts where I was curious how I matched up). I pulled it up again on my phone the other day when I got out for the first time again on my road bike, only to have a brief PTSD episode when I saw that my last workout was my fateful run that ruined the following three months of my life.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/101200563
    It shows the precise location where my leg broke. Still gives me the heebs to look at that. I guess I'll want to remember that some day, but right now is just too soon.

If I ever get my leg working again, I'll have to get back on more frequently. I mostly didn't like taking last on segments on recovery runs or when I stopped to chat with a friend while I didn't even know I was on a segment. Grr.
    Oh man, I had forgotten about your accident, which sounded awful. It's interesting (and unfortunate) how an accident can set one back months or even years (I know!). I hope you're back on the road regularly and soon. At least we'll always have Tahoe...

Another example of the downside of Strava.... I was studying various segments of the Wine Country Century we're riding tomorrow. I rode this last year, but bonked and bailed, finishing with only 89 miles. I noticed in some of the climbing segments I averaged only 8 mph or so, waaaaay back on the leaderboard (bottom quartile). Others did those segments averaging in the low 20's. Sheesh. Of course, one of the leaders on several segments was Levi Leipheimer, but still.

Our little group isn't going to do the full double metric tomorrow, and we'll opt instead for a "century plus", around 108 miles with lots of climbs. Who cares what Strava thinks of my ride--I just want to finish.

I follow Lance Armstrong on Strava. I really didn't expect him to put much on there but he rides almost every day. It's interesting to read the comments after one of his rides, he still has a very devoted following out there. Perhaps this is his way of still being admired on a bike. I wondered if his cycling was just a vehicle to financial success for him but I think he really did love to ride. To bad be was a dick.

I follow Lance Armstrong on Strava. I really didn't expect him to put much on there but he rides almost every day. It's interesting to read the comments after one of his rides, he still has a very devoted following out there. Perhaps this is his way of still being admired on a bike. I wondered if his cycling was just a vehicle to financial success for him but I think he really did love to ride. To bad be was a dick.
    I heard that about him from someone who trained with him pre-TdF and pre-cancer. So, at least he's consistent.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Has anyone see (and used) this Strava feature? If you've done a route that had other Strava-participants around the same time (doesn't matter if you're friends with them), this will show you whom you passed and show your respective locations at the same time throughout the ride.

I was in survival mode last Saturday on my metric century ride, but I still managed to pass several others and it's cool to see the times and places where that happened. I can see that as I approached the end, there were a few I managed to stay ahead of for a thrilling finish, of which I was completely unaware at the time.

Has anyone see (and used) this Strava feature? If you've done a route that had other Strava-participants around the same time (doesn't matter if you're friends with them), this will show you whom you passed and show your respective locations at the same time throughout the ride.

I was in survival mode last Saturday on my metric century ride, but I still managed to pass several others and it's cool to see the times and places where that happened. I can see that as I approached the end, there were a few I managed to stay ahead of for a thrilling finish, of which I was completely unaware at the time.
    I like that. I can't find it on my Strava, how do I get an activity to show up.

I like that. I can't find it on my Strava, how do I get an activity to show up.
    Pick one of your recorded rides ('would be cool if you have Lotoja on there) and copy that ride's URL. Past that URL into the box in the upper right of the Strava Labs link in my previous post. It's hard to understand at first but you'll figure it out.

Pick one of your recorded rides ('would be cool if you have Lotoja on there) and copy that ride's URL. Past that URL into the box in the upper right of the Strava Labs link in my previous post. It's hard to understand at first but you'll figure it out.
    Just did Lotoja. We had five in our group and it was interesting to see where we got split up and how close we were to each other until we regrouped. I like that.

That is a very cool feature. I ran Lotoja on it and it looks like RC and I crossed paths at one of the aid stations. It was also interesting to see how my progress compared to my team. I was always curious to know where I was compared to them and had tried to visualize it from the splits of our chips, but this is much better.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Quote Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
    That is a very cool feature. I ran Lotoja on it and it looks like RC and I crossed paths at one of the aid stations. It was also interesting to see how my progress compared to my team. I was always curious to know where I was compared to them and had tried to visualize it from the splits of our chips, but this is much better.
    It looks like I should have grabbed your wheel at the top of Strawberry.

Pretty cool. I need to start riding when/where other people are out and about.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Those among us who aspire to the honors of men, or at least of Strava, should be aware that they've started a new feature where one can get a KOM or a QOM on all segments for the current year, in addition to the usual KOM/QOM alltime (the symbol for the year's award is an outline of the solid trophy awarded for alltime achievements). I have to take a couple of weeks off of the bike, but realizing she'd be among the first to ride this year over several of her segments, the missus went out on her own and came back with over 30 QOMs and a few second place finishes as well. It's all very silly, of course, but that won't stop her from being insufferable for a few days.

If you want to impress absolutely no one other than yourself, hit the road over some measured segments and pack your trophy case.

Using the Flyby feature has become a regular part of the review process after a ride. It's a kick to see others out of the road and where we crossed, passed, or got dropped by other Strava users. At the risk of exposing myself as a stalker, I've liked using Flyby when looking at, say, RCV's group rides. One can zero in and see who's pulling, getting dropped, etc. and how everyone joins up at the start and peels off at the end. It can also be embarrassing that others can see how much work my wife does on certain rides.