Strava

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post

I started reading Tyler Hamilton's book last week and it's fascinating to see what they did. I wonder how long until SKY gets taken down.
    It was a good read.

I hope SKY crashes and burns.

Comment

Gaimon seems like a good guy, I like that he is out getting these KOM's.
      Gaimon on has made KOM's his life purpose. And built an modified 13.5 pound bike as his weapon of choice.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/a...om-bike-50210/
      Last edited by chrisrenrut; 06-23-2017, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Saw this thread on Strava and thought I would offer an alternate point of view.

I like to use Strava just as a way to make myself get some exercise on a regular basis. If I can walk three miles or ride ten a few times a week, I'm happy. Strava makes it easy to check that I've actually been walking (or riding) for 45 minutes rather than quitting at 20.

It has helped me understand the occasional more difficult rides as well. I like to ride up Pleasanton Ridge once in a while, which is one of the rare serious workouts that I bother with. Round trip is about five miles and it usually takes me half an hour to get up to the top and fifteen minutes back down. My goal is to get to the point where I don't have to get off and walk up the steeper parts. The last time I did that ride I walked all the way back down because I got a flat at the top that I couldn't fix.

Even though I'm not interested in attaining a KOM somewhere or even comparing myself to anybody else, I still find Strava to be a very useful tool to help me exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
          Saw this thread on Strava and thought I would offer an alternate point of view.

I like to use Strava just as a way to make myself get some exercise on a regular basis. If I can walk three miles or ride ten a few times a week, I'm happy. Strava makes it easy to check that I've actually been walking (or riding) for 45 minutes rather than quitting at 20.

It has helped me understand the occasional more difficult rides as well. I like to ride up Pleasanton Ridge once in a while, which is one of the rare serious workouts that I bother with. Round trip is about five miles and it usually takes me half an hour to get up to the top and fifteen minutes back down. My goal is to get to the point where I don't have to get off and walk up the steeper parts. The last time I did that ride I walked all the way back down because I got a flat at the top that I couldn't fix.

Even though I'm not interested in attaining a KOM somewhere or even comparing myself to anybody else, I still find Strava to be a very useful tool to help me exercise.
          I'll never get a KOM, but I like how it tracks my efforts against my previous efforts. I got PR's on about a dozen segments on my bike ride to work this morning, even though I didn't feel i rode particularly fast or strong. Mountain biking the hills is helping quite a bit, I guess.

It also adds motivation when I see others I know out running or riding. If i haven't ridden in a couple of days and I see my brother just finished a nice ride, it pumps me up to get out that night or the next morning.

Comment

I did a hike to and from a mountain lake with my son on Saturday. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn on the Strava app before we started. I made sure to turn it on while we were relaxing at the lake. I was feeling pretty good about the hike until I checked the app later. I saw that PAC, in less time than our hike, covered more than twice as much ground and climbed (and descended) 1,000+ more feet than we had.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              I did a hike to and from a mountain lake with my son on Saturday. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn on the Strava app before we started. I made sure to turn it on while we were relaxing at the lake. I was feeling pretty good about the hike until I checked the app later. I saw that PAC, in less time than our hike, covered more than twice as much ground and climbed (and descended) 1,000+ more feet than we had.
              Kudo's to PAC. PAC is pretty amazing, he's got a good workout on there almost everyday.

Comment

RC, you and Pelado are being too kind, esp. in view of your speed and distances, which I note are on the upswing. But thanks. I remain a firm adherent to the basic tenet of Younger Next Year, that by exercising for one hour six days a week (four cardio, two resistance), one's health, fitness and happiness are greatly improved. But this is much, much easier when one is an empty-nester.

BTW, for every run or hike I post, the missus typically posts a 45-mile bike ride, or the occasional long walk, and she walks at a 13-minute/mile pace or faster. I have to stay active or she'll crush me, perhaps literally.

Comment

Have you hooked up your Strava with Relive yet? It doesn't give you anymore info but it does trace your run or ride on a google type map.

Comment

Have you hooked up your Strava with Relive yet? It doesn't give you anymore info but it does trace your run or ride on a google type map.
                    I have. My hope is to do cool run this evening. I'll try and upload and post.

Comment

https://www.relive.cc/view/1791267374

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                        I hadn't seen one yet with pictures also, I really like that. Looks like a beautiful place for a run.

Comment

I hadn't seen one yet with pictures also, I really like that. Looks like a beautiful place for a run.
                          It was fun. I was driving back from Sacramento and stopped at a trailhead I found. The water wasn't too cold in the lake so I took a little swim at 8000 ft. Also almost stepped on a rattlesnake which was scary. I didn't know they hung out at that high of elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                            It was fun. I was driving back from Sacramento and stopped at a trailhead I found. The water wasn't too cold in the lake so I took a little swim at 8000 ft. Also almost stepped on a rattlesnake which was scary. I didn't know they hung out at that high of elevation.
                            Looks like a beautiful place. Do you have to actually press start on your phone through the relive app or does it automatically sync with strava?

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                              Looks like a beautiful place. Do you have to actually press start on your phone through the relive app or does it automatically sync with strava?
                              It syncs with strava, which is pulling from garmin express. When it detects a new activity it gives you a notification. Then in the app it looks for photos taken during the activity and will add them automatically to the video. For each activity you have to authorize it to process the activity, so it doesn't just make them on its own. It says it takes up to 2 hours to create the video, but that one last night took about 15 minutes before it notified me that it was ready.

Pretty easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X