Strava

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strava

Strava has brought some added enjoyment to my cycling. I like seeing how others are doing and locally it's fun to compare yourself to others. Yesterday we had a strong wind out of the north, wind almost always blows out of the south here, so I fought a strong head wind for about 30 minutes to get to a measured segment. I'm a terrible climber but the wind was strong enough to really give me a push up this hill and I just missed the best time by 5 seconds. That may be the one down side to this is that it doesn't take into account the wind or weather but guess they could have been out yesterday also. I like how you can compare current rides against rides in the past, this could be a real motivator to really push when you're out by yourself.

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Strava has brought some added enjoyment to my cycling. I like seeing how others are doing and locally it's fun to compare yourself to others. Yesterday we had a strong wind out of the north, wind almost always blows out of the south here, so I fought a strong head wind for about 30 minutes to get to a measured segment. I'm a terrible climber but the wind was strong enough to really give me a push up this hill and I just missed the best time by 5 seconds. That may be the one down side to this is that it doesn't take into account the wind or weather but guess they could have been out yesterday also. I like how you can compare current rides against rides in the past, this could be a real motivator to really push when you're out by yourself.
    Excuse my ignorance, what is Strava?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
      Excuse my ignorance, what is Strava?
      It is a Czech beer that includes EPO. It makes slow guys fast. You should try it!
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Just remember to not let it motivate you too much: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...g-death_224889

Two years ago, William “Kim” Flint lost his life descending a hill in Berkeley’s Tilden Park, braking suddenly to avoid a car and losing control of his bike. According to his family, Flint was chasing a new fastest time on the popular cycling website Strava, which allows users to compare times over a section of road or trail using GPS units.

San Francisco’s local ABC News affiliate has reported that Flint’s family is now suing San Francisco-based Strava for the death, claiming negligence and that the website encouraged him to speed.
        Strava eventually won the lawsuit: http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...y-death_289714
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Just remember to not let it motivate you too much: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...g-death_224889

Strava eventually won the lawsuit: http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...y-death_289714
          Strava did eventually win, but it also decided to no longer post fastest times for certain segments it deems dangerous (my guess is they use some sort of logarithm based on grade and direction) It can be pretty damn annoying, to be honest.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
            Strava did eventually win, but it also decided to no longer post fastest times for certain segments it deems dangerous (my guess is they use some sort of logarithm based on grade and direction) It can be pretty damn annoying, to be honest.
            Is it a map your ride type of thing?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
              Is it a map your ride type of thing?
              It's a web-based service that allows runners and riders to upload runs/rides from their GPS enabled device. It provides lots of details concerning the route, many of which will have already been divided into segments where you can compete against yourself and others. I was bummed to see that I often rank in the middle of the pack, or worse, on most segments, but I have to keep reminding myself that the reporting pool is limited to fit people who care enough to do this.

You can follow friends and others (including a lot of pros) and see their daily workouts, assuming they post their activities, which makes it very motivating. I care too much about what others think of me, and I envision my Strava friends' disappointment when I'm tempted to blow off a morning ride or run. Like they care. Go to Strava.com and use the Athlete Search to look up RCVikings, P'dip, bluegoose, moliere and few others around here by our real names and you can see what we've been doing. I'm the anchorman of the group.

[Non-humble self-adulation alert] That said, on this morning's short ride I thought back to a time on this board when I asked if it was possible (or simply unwise) for a guy my age to attempt a 10K, and also whether I could ever get my average speed on a bike up above 15 mph or so. Thanks in part to the public reporting element, since the time of those posts I've run a couple of half marathons and runs of 5-8 miles are pretty routine. My wife and I rode Seattle-to-Portland at an average speed of 17 (this morning's ride was at 18), and both my wife and I are in the best shape of our lives, weighing in collectively at 50 pounds less than we did a few years ago.

Like you need any motivation.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                ... and both my wife and I are in the best shape of our lives, weighing in collectively at 50 pounds less than we did a few years ago.
                That must be a pretty wide scale.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I don't think I'll risk my life over a make believe trophy but you never know, if it's close I may have to run a light or two. But seriously I have my routes and it will be nice to be able to keep track of my progress.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    It's a web-based service that allows runners and riders to upload runs/rides from their GPS enabled device. It provides lots of details concerning the route, many of which will have already been divided into segments where you can compete against yourself and others. I was bummed to see that I often rank in the middle of the pack, or worse, on most segments, but I have to keep reminding myself that the reporting pool is limited to fit people who care enough to do this.

You can follow friends and others (including a lot of pros) and see their daily workouts, assuming they post their activities, which makes it very motivating. I care too much about what others think of me, and I envision my Strava friends' disappointment when I'm tempted to blow off a morning ride or run. Like they care. Go to Strava.com and use the Athlete Search to look up RCVikings, P'dip, bluegoose, moliere and few others around here by our real names and you can see what we've been doing. I'm the anchorman of the group.

[Non-humble self-adulation alert] That said, on this morning's short ride I thought back to a time on this board when I asked if it was possible (or simply unwise) for a guy my age to attempt a 10K, and also whether I could ever get my average speed on a bike up above 15 mph or so. Thanks in part to the public reporting element, since the time of those posts I've run a couple of half marathons and runs of 5-8 miles are pretty routine. My wife and I rode Seattle-to-Portland at an average speed of 17 (this morning's ride was at 18), and both my wife and I are in the best shape of our lives, weighing in collectively at 50 pounds less than we did a few years ago.

Like you need any motivation.
                    Well done. You two should be very proud and happy with the side benefits.

I am slowly crawling away from injuries. Constant travel with my domestic arrangements makes long rides and runs near impossible. But I enjoy reading about you guys being fit.

Next year, I might return to triathloning if my knee rehabbing works out. The difficult challenge is entering events for fun and not worrying about one's time. I have yet to learn this mindset.

Comment

I don't think I'll risk my life over a make believe trophy but you never know, if it's close I may have to run a light or two. But seriously I have my routes and it will be nice to be able to keep track of my progress.
                      It surprises me sometimes to see where I get faster and where I am slower. I am starting to think that some of my "trophies" result from the GPS margin of error when determining speed instead of from my prowess.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I'll add in that I personally love Strava. It's a lot of fun to see what people (mostly family/friends) are doing for exercise all around the world. I know some people link their Strava to Facebook, but I prefer to check the Strava feed as it's not muddled with unnecessary crap/ads. I still upload all my workouts to Strava and GC, but I only check Strava on a daily basis.

I've got family training for the St. George HI, which is fun to watch. I also followed Niki Terpstra after his Paris-Roubaix win and I could see the details of his winning ride. I follow many CSers and it's awesome to see them put in miles that I can only dream of....

Bottom line is that I recommend it.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          It surprises me sometimes to see where I get faster and where I am slower. I am starting to think that some of my "trophies" result from the GPS margin of error when determining speed instead of from my prowess.
                          I wouldn't trust your GPS unit, it must be off. Just do what I do to ride faster, stand in front of the mirror with your kit on and all your gear and yell "I'm Eddy F...ing Merckx and I can ride the legs off anybody". The wife may think you're a little crazy but you're be ready for more trophies.

Comment

I'm too web-shy to post on Strava. I don't like having my real name out there in too many places; I'd rather have an obfuscating username. Plus, I know I'm slowing down, not getting faster, so why make myself miserable when I see the numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                              I'm too web-shy to post on Strava. I don't like having my real name out there in too many places; I'd rather have an obfuscating username. Plus, I know I'm slowing down, not getting faster, so why make myself miserable when I see the numbers?
                              And Strava is especially bad as its clientele are mainly younger speedsters. If you get the premium membership, however ($5/month, I think), it breaks it down results by sex and age group which provides some solace. I'd rank fairly high among women over the age of 70, for example.

Using a fake moniker is probably a good idea. Strava also has a feature that, if requested, will fuzz up the start and finish of your ride if you don't want to show where you live. I have not availed myself of this service as I'm hopeful of being stalked by a much younger, female cyclist. Mrs. PAC laughs and says that's fine by her.

Comment

Working...
                              X