SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    It's not totally gone. Reid and co. nuked it for everything except supreme court nominees. If they try this time the republican majority will nuke it for that too. At least that's my understanding of it.
    I meant there is no reason to preserve what little remains and it's gone as soon as the Dems raise the issue. It's as good as gone, because its purpose and custom no longer exist.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I thought this was interesting

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guyben...ummer-n2459306

Guy Benson quotes Sen Heller that Justice Kennedy is more likely than not to retire this summer and Mike Lee is one of the leading contenders for his seat.

“Kennedy is going to retire around sometime early summer,” Heller predicted in Las Vegas last week, according to audio of an event he spoke at that was obtained by POLITICO. “Which I’m hoping will get our base a little motivated because right now they’re not very motivated. But I think a new Supreme Court justice will get them motivated.”… “Mike Lee from Utah is probably on that short list of the next Supreme Court justice in our courts,” Heller said during the Q-and-A session with the J. Reuben Clark Law Society in Las Vegas Friday.

I'm not sure how I feel about that - at least it would get him out of the senate

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post

Guy Benson quotes Sen Heller that Justice Kennedy is more likely than not to retire this summer and Mike Lee is one of the leading contenders for his seat.

“Kennedy is going to retire around sometime early summer,” Heller predicted in Las Vegas last week, according to audio of an event he spoke at that was obtained by POLITICO. “Which I’m hoping will get our base a little motivated because right now they’re not very motivated. But I think a new Supreme Court justice will get them motivated.”… “Mike Lee from Utah is probably on that short list of the next Supreme Court justice in our courts,” Heller said during the Q-and-A session with the J. Reuben Clark Law Society in Las Vegas Friday.
        Dang, why didn't I go to that CLE. Lord knows I got plenty of direct marketing for it.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

mike—no chance. tom—maybe.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Well, both Mike and Tom were already on his short list, so no surprise there. I'd be surprised if he got nominated, though. Then Utah would get to replace him with someone else, and as we're about to see, Utah doesn't automatically pick lapdogs for Senators.

I'd keep a close eye on the people he has already nominated for circuit court positions-- people who have already been voted on and approved once, and for whom a switched vote would demand an explanation.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
              Well, both Mike and Tom were already on his short list, so no surprise there. I'd be surprised if he got nominated, though. Then Utah would get to replace him with someone else, and as we're about to see, Utah doesn't automatically pick lapdogs for Senators.

I'd keep a close eye on the people he has already nominated for circuit court positions-- people who have already been voted on and approved once, and for whom a switched vote would demand an explanation.
              Anyone in that group that you think is more likely? Anyone you'd like to see nominated?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                Anyone in that group that you think is more likely? Anyone you'd like to see nominated?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                Selfishly, Allison Eid of the 10th.

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post

I'm not sure how I feel about that - at least it would get him out of the senate
                  bump.
                  You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                  Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                  You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

While I doubt that the current justices will rule against the police in this case, it's interesting because I can see both sides of the argument. The cops overreacted, but were within the law, and the protected speech could reasonably make someone elderly, dumb, young, or otherwise unfamiliar with tech and parodies believe that they were interacting with the actual police page. This case is in the news because The Onion filed an amicus brief. But, the appellate courts decision is an interesting read.

https://www.opn.ca6.uscourts.gov/opi...2a0090p-06.pdf
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

So Clarence Thomas blocking Graham having to testify looks ugly. With his marriage helping context, he seems like a very biased justice who has no interest in appearing otherwise.

Comment

SCOTUS hearing arguments this week on affirmative action. Judges seem to be very critical of the arguments made in support.

This was interesting from the NYT. Even minorities and liberals oppose affirmative action.

A similar movement defending affirmative action seems unlikely because a majority of Americans oppose the policy. Nearly three-quarters of U.S. adults said in March that race or ethnicity should not be a factor in college admissions, a Pew Research Center survey found. A majority of Black, Hispanic and Asian respondents opposed the consideration of race or ethnicity.

Even in liberal states, most voters do not support affirmative action. In 2020, about 57 percent of Californians rejected an amendment to the state’s Constitution that would have let government and public institutions, including public universities, adopt affirmative-action policies. In that same election, Biden won more than 63 percent of the vote in the state.

So if the Supreme Court strikes down affirmative action, it’s not clear what, if any, path exists for policies like the University of North Carolina’s or Harvard’s to survive.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

It's an issue that affects the military as well. White people are overrepresented in the officer corps, so some fear doing away with affirmative action will reduce military effectiveness. I don't know how you'd even measure that.

It's probably about time affirmative action go away. It certainly had its place, but IIRC, the last ruling said the time would come when we need to get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            It's an issue that affects the military as well. White people are overrepresented in the officer corps, so some fear doing away with affirmative action will reduce military effectiveness. I don't know how you'd even measure that.

It's probably about time affirmative action go away. It certainly had its place, but IIRC, the last ruling said the time would come when we need to get rid of it.
                            I am kind of shocked at how unpopular it is. Even among minorities.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I am kind of shocked at how unpopular it is. Even among minorities.
                              I seem to remember reading someplace that Justice Thomas felt like law firms that interviewed him out of Yale discounted him because Yale expressly lowered admissions standards for blacks under affirmative action. He felt like they viewed him as having needed help to do what others achieved on their own merit (whether that was actually true or not), which led to the perception of being less capable. I can see that viewpoint.
                              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

25 years, to be precise. And we are about 20 years into that 25-year term.

This was another sticking point for justices in oral arguments. Earlier SCOTUS decisions held their noses over race preferences, but tolerated it as a necessary but temporary evil. The way the attorneys were formulating the school's diversity interest made it seem like it would never end.

Comment

Working...
                                X