SCOTUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCOTUS

Opinion released today in Schuette v. BAMN, upholding the decision of Michigan voters to ban racial preferences in higher education admissions.

Justice Kennedy wrote the majority opinion, with Chief Justice Roberts and justices Scalia, Thomas, and Breyer joining. Justice Sotomayor dissented, with Justice Ginsburg joining and Justice Kagan abstaining.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-682_j4ek.pdf
    Last edited by All-American; 04-22-2014, 12:28 PM.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

I sure do enjoy reading Scalia's writing.

It has come to this. Called upon to explore the jurisprudential twilight zone between two errant lines of precedent, we confront a frighteningly bizarre question: Does the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment forbid what its text plainly requires? Needless to say(except that this case obliges us to say it), the questionanswers itself.

Comment

Sotomayor Roberts
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
        Sotomayor Roberts
        I have a certain amount of ex officio respect for Sotomayor, on account of her holding a position which deserves if not demands our respect.

Beyond that . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
          Opinion released today in Schuette v. BAMN, upholding the decision of Michigan voters to ban racial preferences in higher education admissions.

Justice Kennedy wrote the majority opinion, with Chief Justice Roberts and justices Scalia, Thomas, and Breyer joining. Justice Sotomayor dissented, with Justice Ginsburg joining and Justice Kagan abstaining.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-682_j4ek.pdf
          No love for Alito?

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
            No love for Alito?
            Alito joined Kennedy's opinion. (Sorry-- I thought I wrote that.)

Comment

Nice interview of Justice Breyer.

Comment

Do we really need a 9 member SCOTUS?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...rmanently.html

Interesting read.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

Gorsuch seems to be handling the hearings with a good demeanor based on the few minutes I have seen. Also, it's still funny to me to see Franken as a senator.
                  "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                    Gorsuch seems to be handling the hearings with a good demeanor based on the few minutes I have seen. Also, it's still funny to me to see Franken as a senator.
                    Especially when he's telling potential Supreme Court justices that they are not good enough.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Especially when he's telling potential Supreme Court justices that they are not good enough.
                      Self affirmations don't apply to others.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Yeah, let's drag this thing out some more.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Dems are going to filibuster Gorsuch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            Dems are going to filibuster Gorsuch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Fillibuster is gone. Fillibuster existed in the day of collaboration, which no longer exists.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                              Fillibuster is gone. Fillibuster existed in the day of collaboration, which no longer exists.
                              It's not totally gone. Reid and co. nuked it for everything except supreme court nominees. If they try this time the republican majority will nuke it for that too. At least that's my understanding of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X