Thread: SCOTUS

Princeps Inter Pares

Default SCOTUS

Opinion released today in Schuette v. BAMN, upholding the decision of Michigan voters to ban racial preferences in higher education admissions.

Justice Kennedy wrote the majority opinion, with Chief Justice Roberts and justices Scalia, Thomas, and Breyer joining. Justice Sotomayor dissented, with Justice Ginsburg joining and Justice Kagan abstaining.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-682_j4ek.pdf
    Last edited by All-American; 04-22-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Princeps Inter Pares

I sure do enjoy reading Scalia's writing.

It has come to this. Called upon to explore the jurisprudential twilight zone between two errant lines of precedent, we confront a frighteningly bizarre question: Does the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment forbid what its text plainly requires? Needless to say(except that this case obliges us to say it), the questionanswers itself.

Sotomayor Roberts
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Sotomayor Roberts
    I have a certain amount of ex officio respect for Sotomayor, on account of her holding a position which deserves if not demands our respect.

Beyond that . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Opinion released today in Schuette v. BAMN, upholding the decision of Michigan voters to ban racial preferences in higher education admissions.

Justice Kennedy wrote the majority opinion, with Chief Justice Roberts and justices Scalia, Thomas, and Breyer joining. Justice Sotomayor dissented, with Justice Ginsburg joining and Justice Kagan abstaining.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-682_j4ek.pdf
    No love for Alito?

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    No love for Alito?
    Alito joined Kennedy's opinion. (Sorry-- I thought I wrote that.)

Nice interview of Justice Breyer.

Do we really need a 9 member SCOTUS?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...rmanently.html

Interesting read.

Gorsuch seems to be handling the hearings with a good demeanor based on the few minutes I have seen. Also, it's still funny to me to see Franken as a senator.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Gorsuch seems to be handling the hearings with a good demeanor based on the few minutes I have seen. Also, it's still funny to me to see Franken as a senator.
    Especially when he's telling potential Supreme Court justices that they are not good enough.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Especially when he's telling potential Supreme Court justices that they are not good enough.
    Self affirmations don't apply to others.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Dems are going to filibuster Gorsuch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Dems are going to filibuster Gorsuch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fillibuster is gone. Fillibuster existed in the day of collaboration, which no longer exists.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Fillibuster is gone. Fillibuster existed in the day of collaboration, which no longer exists.
    It's not totally gone. Reid and co. nuked it for everything except supreme court nominees. If they try this time the republican majority will nuke it for that too. At least that's my understanding of it.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    It's not totally gone. Reid and co. nuked it for everything except supreme court nominees. If they try this time the republican majority will nuke it for that too. At least that's my understanding of it.
    I meant there is no reason to preserve what little remains and it's gone as soon as the Dems raise the issue. It's as good as gone, because its purpose and custom no longer exist.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

I thought this was interesting

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guyben...ummer-n2459306

Guy Benson quotes Sen Heller that Justice Kennedy is more likely than not to retire this summer and Mike Lee is one of the leading contenders for his seat.

“Kennedy is going to retire around sometime early summer,” Heller predicted in Las Vegas last week, according to audio of an event he spoke at that was obtained by POLITICO. “Which I’m hoping will get our base a little motivated because right now they’re not very motivated. But I think a new Supreme Court justice will get them motivated.”… “Mike Lee from Utah is probably on that short list of the next Supreme Court justice in our courts,” Heller said during the Q-and-A session with the J. Reuben Clark Law Society in Las Vegas Friday.

I'm not sure how I feel about that - at least it would get him out of the senate

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    I thought this was interesting

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guyben...ummer-n2459306

Guy Benson quotes Sen Heller that Justice Kennedy is more likely than not to retire this summer and Mike Lee is one of the leading contenders for his seat.

“Kennedy is going to retire around sometime early summer,” Heller predicted in Las Vegas last week, according to audio of an event he spoke at that was obtained by POLITICO. “Which I’m hoping will get our base a little motivated because right now they’re not very motivated. But I think a new Supreme Court justice will get them motivated.”… “Mike Lee from Utah is probably on that short list of the next Supreme Court justice in our courts,” Heller said during the Q-and-A session with the J. Reuben Clark Law Society in Las Vegas Friday.
    Dang, why didn't I go to that CLE. Lord knows I got plenty of direct marketing for it.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

mike—no chance. tom—maybe.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Princeps Inter Pares

Well, both Mike and Tom were already on his short list, so no surprise there. I'd be surprised if he got nominated, though. Then Utah would get to replace him with someone else, and as we're about to see, Utah doesn't automatically pick lapdogs for Senators.

I'd keep a close eye on the people he has already nominated for circuit court positions-- people who have already been voted on and approved once, and for whom a switched vote would demand an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Well, both Mike and Tom were already on his short list, so no surprise there. I'd be surprised if he got nominated, though. Then Utah would get to replace him with someone else, and as we're about to see, Utah doesn't automatically pick lapdogs for Senators.

I'd keep a close eye on the people he has already nominated for circuit court positions-- people who have already been voted on and approved once, and for whom a switched vote would demand an explanation.
    Anyone in that group that you think is more likely? Anyone you'd like to see nominated?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Anyone in that group that you think is more likely? Anyone you'd like to see nominated?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Selfishly, Allison Eid of the 10th.