Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jimbo MF McMahon.....Deserves his own thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I was hoping you and/or the other docs would chime in. I've never understood why spinal manipulation is thought (by chiros and their fans) to cure anything. The good chiro I know is more of a trainer (eat right, exercise, have good form in your workouts, etc.) than a spine manipulation guy.
    Having been involved in surgery to straighten the spine I feel confident saying that anyone who claims they can realign your spine/pelvis with manual manipulation is uninformed at best and most likely dishonest.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      Jim McMahon's current health and lifestyle probably get a fair amount of pub in Utah, but this column in our local rag was news to me. Jimbo's declining mental condition has apparently improved and he drives around the country in an RV with his girlfriend participating in 60 or so charity golf tourneys each year. I don't have a high opinion of chiropracters generally, but there are some significant exceptions, and McMahaon's (Scott Rosa) may be one of them.

BTW, the author, Scott Ostler, is a well-known columnist in California and a distant cousin.
      So Jim's problem aren't due to CTE, but rather musculoskeletal issues that are fixed by a chiro? I don't think that helps the lawsuits against the NFL, if a little back cracking' can fix you.
      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
        Having been involved in surgery to straighten the spine I feel confident saying that anyone who claims they can realign your spine/pelvis with manual manipulation is uninformed at best and most likely dishonest.

I love it when people tell me how their spine was misaligned, but the chiro fixed it. And I'm thinking: "If your spine was really misaligned you might be paralyzed."
        "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Chiropractors definitely get a few things right. Avoiding the downsides of what MDs do to people is a plus (expensive, useless testing, putting people on meds with significant side effects and questionable benefits). A lot of chiros start and end visits with a hug -- chiros have to invest effort into the intangibles: communication, convincing patients they really care, etc:

We could learn a few things from chiropractors about the importance of a good relationship with the patient and building a trusting relationship -- also avoiding jumping to aggressive medical/surgical interventions that won't make a difference in the big picture. Some docs don't think they have done anything unless they have started a few new medicines at each visit.

I see so many elderly patients with bad health problems who I think might live longer and better seeing chiropractors and hospice nurses instead of MDs.

Comment

• As if hostile, SJS, and Cardiac would know anything about real medicine

We have a chiro in our ward. He's a great guy and comes from a family of chiros. However, he got out of the alignment business and now works for Airrosti doing soft tissue and PT type work. I don't know if he's really qualified to do what he does, but he's good at it and many, many local endurance athletes swear by Airrosti. The downside is a visit to see him is more expensive than a PT, however, he won't ask you to come back twice a week for 6 weeks.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              As if hostile, SJS, and Cardiac would know anything about real medicine

We have a chiro in our ward. He's a great guy and comes from a family of chiros. However, he got out of the alignment business and now works for Airrosti doing soft tissue and PT type work. I don't know if he's really qualified to do what he does, but he's good at it and many, many local endurance athletes swear by Airrosti. The downside is a visit to see him is more expensive than a PT, however, he won't ask you to come back twice a week for 6 weeks.
              No wonder he gives his client hugs. Many of my "clients" need to be scrubbed down before I work on them.
              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                I love it when people tell me how their spine was misaligned, but the chiro fixed it. And I'm thinking: "If your spine was really misaligned you might be paralyzed."

I'm curious about this statement.

A few months ago. I felt a sharp pain in my back as I stood up from the couch. I was in pain for several days. When I looked at myself in the mirror something did look "misaligned". My ribs weren't straight over my stomach.

I went to my physical therapist who had me do a stretch that he said help get everything back in place. It was the move in yoga they call cobra. Basically laying on your stomach and arching your back while leaning on your elbows. It helped quite a bit.

I never used the term misaligned, I would usually say tweaked, but misaligned seems like a reasonable description to me.

For the record I've never visited a chiro, and consider them quacks. My physical therapist has been great for my arthritis though.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                  I'm curious about this statement.

A few months ago. I felt a sharp pain in my back as I stood up from the couch. I was in pain for several days. When I looked at myself in the mirror something did look "misaligned". My ribs weren't straight over my stomach.
                  Sounds like you had an overload of toxins on one side.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                    No wonder he gives his client hugs. Many of my "clients" need to be scrubbed down before I work on them.
                    The chiros I know who seem legitimate avoid manipulation and engage more in PT type stuff. I only went once when I had damaged my knee so he used some sonogram technology, some stretching and muscular strengthening.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      Sounds like you had an overload of toxins on one side.
                      I think there's an oil for that. And probably a crystal too.

Comment

• This discussion reminds me of the ESPN 30 for 30 special on the '85 Bears. They had a few minutes on Jimmy Mac and his alignment procedure:

[YOUTUBE]gzaPmd1D2bU[/YOUTUBE]
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                          This discussion reminds me of the ESPN 30 for 30 special on the '85 Bears. They had a few minutes on Jimmy Mac and his alignment procedure:

[YOUTUBE]gzaPmd1D2bU[/YOUTUBE]
                          Wow that is such quackery. They have elevated the chiro game from X-rays to MRI but it's the same fundamental scam: take normal very mild anatomical variants that we all have and confabulate it into something that sounds sort of plausibly like an actual medical diagnosis. It sounds like they are diagnosing him with a type of hydrocephalus? Kind of makes sense based on his symptoms. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocephalus

But hydrocephalus is a very serious condition, fatal if not treated with a shunt and ridiculous to treat with tapping on the spine. They aren't unethical enough to treat actual hydrocephalus with tapping on the spine. The scans don't show any hydrocephalus. They are saying I suppose that they are treating a subtler, milder form of hydrocephalus similar to the way they treat subtle and mild, non-surgical types of spine "misallignments".

Comment

• http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/02/...ons-treatment/

This article sums up the problem with this type of treatment: it's unproven and unstudied.

They need to find 100 patients like McMahon. Shouldn't be too difficult. Enroll them in a randomized study with 50 patients randomized to the actual treatment McMahon received and 50 randomized to a sham treatment. Have them followed by docs who don't know which treatment they receiced and fill out questionnaires based on symptoms after the treatment.

They won't ever do this study because it's obvious that both groups will show similar improvement and it will prove the benefit is entirely a placebo effect.

Comment

• Happy Birthday to Jimbo MF McMahon!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                                Happy Birthday to Jimbo MF McMahon!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                It was also my wife's birthday.

Turn around (bright eyes!)
                                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                                X