What do you ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    Do your rides have much elevation change or mostly flat land? I didn't really notice much difference with my disc brakes, but I don't do a lot of downhill (or uphill) riding.
    I'm just starting to get into the hill climbing. That takes your fitness to another level. I live on the bench in Orem, so there's always going to be some small hills to take on. Even on my relatively flat rides, I do notice a difference in braking performance. Maybe I just had cheaper rim brakes before. I do love these disc brakes.

Comment

Seems like there was a discussion on here a while back, but I'll be danged if I can find it. Something about if you were to upgrade your ride what would you choose? Wheel set, electric shifter--or maybe it was the components, and something else... computer?

What would be the one thing you would upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        Seems like there was a discussion on here a while back, but I'll be danged if I can find it. Something about if you were to upgrade your ride what would you choose? Wheel set, electric shifter--or maybe it was the components, and something else... computer?

I'd like smoother shifting mechanisms. I probably should just get what I have tuned.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I have my bikes set up just the way I want them now. I recently replaced my full suspension mountain bike drive train to a 1x11. My hardtail mountain bike was already. Regardless of configuration, there are few things more satisfying than a smooth operating drivetrain.

On my road bike, I’d probably switch out to some wider tires for extra cushion. You know what Spinal Tap says about cushion. . .

Comment

A couple things for me but they aren't deal breakers as I like my current setup. I have a 54" Trek Madone and my previous bike was a 56" Specialized. I think I'd try to split the baby and find something that is in the middle (maybe a 55 inch or try out a couple other sizes in other brands to find the perfect fit. However, I've ridden a lot on my current bike and like it so it'll be a while before I replace the frame.

I would like some disc brakes. I've had a couple rides in the rain and the brakes do slip a bit when wet.

I did want a power meter and ended up buying the Garmin pedal ones (Vectors?) and they worked really well at first but the last couple rides they've been more intermittent. Not sure if the batteries are low or if I need to do something different, but to be honest I rarely need the info so it's not a big deal. If I were climbing mountains then maybe I'd want it more.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              A couple things for me but they aren't deal breakers as I like my current setup. I have a 54" Trek Madone and my previous bike was a 56" Specialized. I think I'd try to split the baby and find something that is in the middle (maybe a 55 inch or try out a couple other sizes in other brands to find the perfect fit. However, I've ridden a lot on my current bike and like it so it'll be a while before I replace the frame.

I would like some disc brakes. I've had a couple rides in the rain and the brakes do slip a bit when wet.

I did want a power meter and ended up buying the Garmin pedal ones (Vectors?) and they worked really well at first but the last couple rides they've been more intermittent. Not sure if the batteries are low or if I need to do something different, but to be honest I rarely need the info so it's not a big deal. If I were climbing mountains then maybe I'd want it more.
              54"? That's a damn big bike.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

The Trek Madone Penny Farthing version.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I'm still riding the 58cm Cannondale CAAD8 I picked up used a few years ago with Campy components. I'm pretty sure they're just the entry level veloce, but my shifting and ride are both pretty smooth. I don't have a good cycling computer - still using my Garmin 305 and/or basic Strava on the phone for most stuff - so that would be an upgrade. And as I get older, coming down those steep hills from riding up around the Bountiful temple make me pucker - so I'd probably love an upgrade to disc brakes as well.

But I can't tell you how much I still really like my bike. It weights in between 20-21 lbs, which seems pretty lightweight for a guy not specifically upgrading stuff to make it lightweight. It rides smooth. The wheels roll forever. It's comfortable - I really just don't see the need to upgrade the frame or even the components. Though, like I said, I wouldn't be sad to have better braking.
                  Last edited by Eddie; 07-07-2020, 03:58 PM.

Comment

My knee. It's developed arthritis and has been swollen and achy in spite of pretty much every possible treatment except replacement. I haven't been able to bike for 2 years. It drives me crazy.

Comment

Centimeters. Bike frames are typically measured in centimeters. A 54cm is a common size. A 54" frame, as Pelado implied, would be gigantic.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        Centimeters. Bike frames are typically measured in centimeters. A 54cm is a common size. A 54" frame, as Pelado implied, would be gigantic.
                        Aha!

Let me edit my post to say cm now too.

Comment

Yeah, this is what I ride...

All you bike snobs will think it is junk but it gets me around the city. I just wanted a good urban bike that I could also take on the many trails that I have access to. For the money it has been a great bike.

I am in market for a good mountain bike for when I am in Utah. Suggestions?
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            I am in market for a good mountain bike for when I am in Utah. Suggestions?
                            What size bike, what type of riding, and how long do you expect to be in Utah?

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                                What size bike, what type of riding, and how long do you expect to be in Utah?
                                I am a mtn bike nube. My urban bike has a like 20" or 21" (52-54 cm) frame, I believe. I would just be riding a bunch of gravel roads and trails (mostly down hill). Going from 500' above sea level to 8400' is a shock. I'll be here for the rest of the month at least.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X