Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Race Results Thread

Nice write up.

I really don't put as much thought into it when I'm running. I mostly concentrate on my breathing and my form in a meditative state.

Thanks for the write up!

My old bishop talked me into signing up for the American Fork Half Marathon in June. It's be my first half.

I can't not race at a "race". I just can't. Even years that my training has been light and I know I'm just there for fun and not going to PR or anything, when it's a race, I have to race and I end up pushing myself. So I certainly get your description of giving in. Longer races, it always feels like I'm holding myself back through the first half of the race. Loved your write up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I can't not race at a "race". I just can't.
    Yeah, I’m the same way but I still have the internal debate every time I get in the starting corral. Just thinking about the pending discomfort and pain makes me question it, but the rush of the start and knowing the disappointment I’d have if I didn’t give it all always makes me race.

It’s Monday and my quads are still sore and yesterday was tough, but man am I glad I pushed it. No regrets on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Great write-up Moliere. Glad that you are finally over that nasty ITB problem that you were having.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Yeah, I’m the same way but I still have the internal debate every time I get in the starting corral. Just thinking about the pending discomfort and pain makes me question it, but the rush of the start and knowing the disappointment I’d have if I didn’t give it all always makes me race.

It’s Monday and my quads are still sore and yesterday was tough, but man am I glad I pushed it. No regrets on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh - I have those same debates at the start of a race. I tell myself "I'm just here to cruise, have fun, and finish this time." Then the gun or horn or whatever sounds, and I start out with my "cruising" speed - and slowly find myself speeding up. I just can't help it.

I used to have a neighbor, Brad, who ran distance in college and then ran some longer races for fun after. He was running the Ogden Marathon, and I asked him what time he was going for. He said he was looking for a sub 3 hour, thought he could finish around 2:50 if things went well for him. Then he says "I don't know how some of these people run for 5, or even 5 and a half hours. I could NEVER run for 5 hours straight!

So now I tell myself that Brad says it's easier to run faster and get done sooner - and use that to justify my decision to push it. Ha!

I ran a two-mile test in 13:30 this week. After not being able to run for most of the past few years, I'm very happy to be back at it again.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I ran a two-mile test in 13:30 this week. After not being able to run for most of the past few years, I'm very happy to be back at it again.
    Dang, nice job!
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I couldn't run that fast when I was 35yrs younger, at sea level and in semi decent shape - good job!

The fastest I ever ran was 13:42 and I'm not sure that had the course measured correctly (It was for a military PT test)

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."