Race Results Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
    Wish I knew...is there any way to know that besides using a GPS watch?
    I would have liked to see them because in that 5k I know I ran out of gas earlier than I wanted and ran a much slower 3rd mile.
    Not that I know of. That's why I love the Garmin so much.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
      Not that I know of. That's why I love the Garmin so much.
      Wish I had a couple hundred extra bucks and I'd at least try to find an older model Garmin. Even without HR monitor I could benefit by having some pace info. For example, when I do tempo runs I'm just guessing by feel at my pace for that middle 'tempo' section of the run.

the only other way I can think of to know splits is at a race like yesterday's where each mile is marked, and using a stopwatch that can record multiple times. Unfortunately, when i wear a watch to run it's a $9 watch from Walmart. :/

Oh well. I'm still trying to get my winter gear together....the money for a gps watch will have to come a different year if at all.

Comment

Caucasian
        This space is available.

Comment

Highway to Hale 5k/10k today, I did the 5k.

2nd in age group (gave me a first place medal though since the guy in front of me was 2nd overall)
          10th overall male
          24:08 on a 3.24 mile course.
          This was a fun race, over 400 runners between the two which probably had to do in part with the fact that the Hale Center Theater (race sponsor) gave everyone who ran free tickets. It was well-organized, good shirt, lots of fun prizes, lots of costumes and tons of awards for costume categories. It was chip-timed as well. I don't know how they can afford to give away so many free tickets to plays (10k runners got two tickets to each of the first two shows of the season!) and season ticket packages to overall winners and costume winners. But I'm not complaining.

Even though this race competes with the Halloween Half in Provo, I can see it getting bigger and bigger if it stays this well organized and if the participation prize is still free tickets.
          Last edited by OhioBlue; 10-30-2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

My 10 year old ran a 5k last weekend and clocked 32:25. His proudest achievement was that he ran the whole thing and never stopped to rest or walk.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I had a result, and i ma very glad to tell u that i have won the race. it was for 3k and you i tell u that i over come in just 14:35. here is some thing interesting that my fellow was come in just 14:33.
              foster

Comment

Ran my first race back after my surgeries. Clocked a 24:56 in a local 5K fun run. There were over 1,000 that ran and I started about in the middle. Bad planning on my part as I was late getting to the corral. The first mile was spent dodging people, but my time wasn't bad for that mile so I probably didn't suffer much but maybe 10-15 seconds. I took 5th in my age group and something like 64th overall...but it was a fun run so maybe a good 3/4 of the people there were just plodding along.

No pain at all in the knee, which is good. This is the first time I've really pushed it hard. I'm hoping to get below 24 mins at some point, which I think I can do.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  Ran my first race back after my surgeries. Clocked a 24:56 in a local 5K fun run. There were over 1,000 that ran and I started about in the middle. Bad planning on my part as I was late getting to the corral. The first mile was spent dodging people, but my time wasn't bad for that mile so I probably didn't suffer much but maybe 10-15 seconds. I took 5th in my age group and something like 64th overall...but it was a fun run so maybe a good 3/4 of the people there were just plodding along.

No pain at all in the knee, which is good. This is the first time I've really pushed it hard. I'm hoping to get below 24 mins at some point, which I think I can do.
                  If you stopped listening to Adele when you run your time would improve.
                  "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                      Which of Adele's songs will he use as the intro sequence on the podcast?
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

No pain at all in the knee, which is good! This is the first time I've really pushed it hard. I'm hoping to get below 24 mins at some point, which I think I can do.
                        Congrats on running without pain in the knee. I had surgery three years ago and am just now able to run cautiously without pain, but I am still timed with a calendar.
                        Are you really an Adele fan? My condolences.
                        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Mol, it's been good seeing your progress and I'm happy for you that it's coming along. Just watch out for the 20-mile training run.

The wife and I ran a half this weekend and it's easily the smallest race we've ever run -- ~250 finishers, though it did finish with additional 5k and 10k runners -- and I really enjoyed it. I've run the Disney Half and the Chicago marathon and I just thought big races were the thing for me, but it was great not having to weave in and out and really being able to control my own pace. And the spacing allowed me to see someone 50 yards ahead down the back quarter and push myself to reel them in. It also helped that it was a fairly flat course and a nice, historic town, but I want to consider more of that size.
                          I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
                            Mol, it's been good seeing your progress and I'm happy for you that it's coming along. Just watch out for the 20-mile training run.

The wife and I ran a half this weekend and it's easily the smallest race we've ever run -- ~250 finishers, though it did finish with additional 5k and 10k runners -- and I really enjoyed it. I've run the Disney Half and the Chicago marathon and I just thought big races were the thing for me, but it was great not having to weave in and out and really being able to control my own pace. And the spacing allowed me to see someone 50 yards ahead down the back quarter and push myself to reel them in. It also helped that it was a fairly flat course and a nice, historic town, but I want to consider more of that size.
                            You forgot to post your time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You forgot to post your time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              My chip time was 1:46:09, which was a slight PR for me and I'm excited about that. Honestly, after bonking at Chicago in October, that was lingering in my mind pretty heavily, so I was worried about turning it up too much. But I decided that at mile 9 I would up the pace and I felt great and only wished I had done it sooner. I've been putting more time into speed work with a group on Tuesday mornings and I thin that's paying off. I really wanted to go sub 1:45 and I'm quite confident now that I can and it's tempting to look for another race before the temps head up too much.
                              I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Ran a half-marathon yesterday. First long race since my two surgeries on my left IT band. Finished in 1:56:41 which is 25 seconds faster than my only previous half marathon run (3-4 years ago during marathon training). Here's a quick race report:

Training: This was a race I've been targeting for over a year. I ran the 5K in this race last year mainly just to scope it out and to get that "race rush" back. I ran only twice per week with the occasional short run on Saturday if it was raining (I usually do a long bike ride on Sat). I also cycled 2-3 times per week. The older my kids get, the tougher it is to find time to train. I'm usually up at 4:45am Tues/Thurs to get in some miles. i cycle during lunch at work and then on Sat I'm up at 6am to get in a long bike ride. I have to be done running before 6:15 so I can shower and drive my son to school from early morning seminary. It's been a brutal schedule with little good sleep.

I was interested to see how my body held up to running long distances with fewer runs. Cutting back on running is necessary for the IT band, leg, hip and pretty much everything else on the left side. Thankfully nothing got too sore or hurt during training and I also avoided a stress fracture, which seem to be another injury I've had to deal with over the years. I'm still running in Nike Frees, which I know isn't a good running shoe, but I've foudn that if I build up my mileage slowly I have yet to get injured in them on runs under 13 miles. Race goal was to finish under 2 hours, which is about a 9:07 pace.

Start: The bad thing about huge races is the corraling. I had to be in hte corral 20 mins before the start, but I went in 30 mins before to get a decent position so I wasn't running around peopel for the first 2 miles. I ended up near the front right next to the 2:00 pace team, which was perfect. HOwever, I felt like I could have used one last pee but I was stuck so I'd have to bear it.

Miles 1-2: Came out with my first two miles around 8:50 pace, which I was thinking is too quick. I tried to slow it down a bit but then the 2:00 pace team passed me, which I thought was odd. They were running 8:45-8:50 clips. Instead of falling behind, I decided to hang with the pacers. At about 2.5 miles in I look at my watch and my heartrate is over 160, which I know isn't great. It might be a combination of hte warmth (it was around 60-65 degrees) but it also looks like we are on a slight incline. Oh well, I'll tough it out.

Miles 3-6: Feeling smooth. I'm locked in and while the pace team is still clocking 8:50 splits I'm hanging with them. At mile 6 the course takes a left turn and we head downhill for a bit, which felt great to keep the pace without as much effort. My body is telling me to pick up the pace on the downhill but my head is holding me back since I know I'm only half was and while I feel good, I need to trust my pacing and training. I know I can't do sub 8:50s. Havingn ran one half marathon before, I know the final 5K is brutal, so pacing is paramount. I've been drinking a little at each aid station (every 2 miles) and each time I'm coughing after drinking. I have no idea why since I'm even walking while I drink to make sure I don't get it down the wrong tube.

Miles 7-8: Still feeling smooth but I'm glad I didn't pick up the pace. The small break on mile 6 helped. My heart rate has been hovering around 170, which is high for a long run but about to be expected when I'm pushing it. I've since left the 2:00 pace team in the dust. I think they've slowed down a bit to a more reasonable pace for them, but I don't want to even turn to look. I'm now running into the sun, which is awful since it's tough to see. I move over to the left side of the road, where there are a lot of trees and I'll spend the next couple miles shifting sides of the road to be in tihe shade. Everyone else is doing this as well. Oddly enough, the distance per my Garmin watch is almost dead on with the course mile markers. To this point I've been consciously trying to take the shortest distance and straighten out hte road.

Mile 9: Fatigue is setting in but I feel like I've paced it well so far. I mentally tell my self to just get to mile 10, then it'll only be a 5K to the finish. Anyone can grind out a 5K, right? A small sideache sets in on the right side but I notice it before it gets too bad. I check my breathing and make sure its' on rhythm and also raise my right arm over my head for a bit. The sideache subsides and eventually goes away. This is a big win for me as sometimes in training my side aches will linger and not go away until I stop and take a break to calm my breathing. At this point I"d really like to pee and there are plenty of portopotties open, but I know if I stop to pee I'll throw up. If I throw up I know my pacing will take a hit, so I push on.

Mile 10-11: I'm hurting but not a ton. I've got a new mental goal of just getting to mile 12, then only a mile left. I also try to slow my pace since I've banked so much time I know I'll finish sub-2:00. However, at this point in the race, and in pretty much any race for me, I mentally go through the reason that I'm running. Am I running to just finish sub 2:00 or do I want to see what I can really do? But why push myself to the point of breaking if it just move me up from 100th place to 95th place in my age group? Are those extra 20 mins of brutal suffering worth it? Even though my mind has tried to slow my body down to a 9:15 pace, my body is saying "No!" and keeps on with the sub 9:00 pace. I guess my body is telling my mind that if it's going to drag it out of bed at 4:45am several times a week and put it through hell before most people are even awake, then it's going to capitalize on that training and see what it can do. My mind has given up and relents and my body takes over. For better or worse, looks like I"m going to push it into new unchartered areas of pain.

Miles 12: Only one mile left, but I know there are two small hills on this mile since I've ran this part of the course several times in the local triathlon. Some poeple are walkign the hills, but I decide to push it up the first. It helps me keep pace but I'm now really, really hurting. The second hill is a killer. My legs are gone. As I come down the back side of the hill, the course turns left, then right. My legs almost buckle as I turn. The almost stumble wakes up my mind and I know it'll be a mental struggle from here on out. As I turn right I'm begging to see the finish line. My Garmin register 12.9 miles but I can't see it. Ugh! I pass the 26 mile marker (the full marathon finished here and then the 13 mile marker). I still can't see the finish line, which infuriates me. I final turn around a small bend and see it right in front. I cross the line receive a medal and have to walk almost 200 meters to get out of the finish corral. THis walk probably saves me from throwing up since I really wanted to but not in front of everyone.

Aftermath: I'm very happy with my results. I'll never be a very fast distance runner, but I've come to really like the half marathon. I've ran two actual races of that distance and have paced both extrememly well. I'm very, very sore but my left leg (IT band and hip) are feeling fine. I'll probably never run a distance longer than 13.1 miles again, but I'm really just happy to be able to run without pain.

Comment

Working...
                                X