Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FX's The Americans

What a great side plot, Phillip is forced by his job to become a pedophile with a girl his daughter's age.

The show started in 1981 and now they're in 1983. I think the show will go for six seasons and will end before the end of the Soviet Union was becoming obvious. I can't imagine that Phillip won't try defect with his kids, Keri Russell will either be tasked with going after him or will be conflicted.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    The show started in 1981 and now they're in 1983. I think the show will go for six seasons and will end before the end of the Soviet Union was becoming obvious. I can't imagine that Phillip won't try defect with his kids, Keri Russell will either be tasked with going after him or will be conflicted.
    1983 was jammed packed with events the show can use. Among other things it had Reagan's "Evil Empire" speech and SDI announcement, deployment of Pershing II in West Germany, false alarm of USSR early warning system (although not known outside upper USSR officials), KAL 007 shoot down, the massive Able Archer 83 NATO war games and showing of "The Day After".

I finally caught up on this show. Phillip using a religious awakening as an excuse to avoid sleeping with an underage girl is one of the funniest parts of the show for me so far. It's weird that it is a part of the creepiest storyline.

My wife thinks Phillip will eventually start taking church seriously because his soul is so crushed and he desparatley wants to believe redemption is real.

Is everyone on Team Phillip here? I've been on Team Elizabeth for only around two minutes of this series, in particular during two really awesome scenes. But I always revert back to Team Phillip. I hope he gets away with the kids.

I have no idea if the Soviets ever had people like these two -- that essentially posed as married people and even had kids to provide deep cover -- but I have a hard time believing that someone could live in the US for over 15 years, be able to clearly compare the Soviet system to the US after extensive experience with both, and have the type of shit heaped on them like Keri Russel's character has and not start having the doubts that Phillip clearly has.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Definitely on Team Phillip. But it also doesn't seem impossible that Elizabeth could still be so loyal to the Soviet system. She is a true believer in the worldwide revolution. True believers have a religious zeal to their work. They also tend to compare the best that communism has to offer to the worst that capitalism has to offer. So Elizabeth compares the dream of economic equality under communism to the wealth disparity she sees in the US and digs in her heels more on her commitment. Obviously, when you compare the best to the best and the worst to the worst, capitalism wins hands down. Phillip is able to do that because I don't think he ever had the level of belief in the system that Elizabeth has.

Team Phillip. I can sort of see the rational for the long-con indoctrination for Paige but that doesn't seem like what the center has in mind (it definitely wasn't what Claudia's initial orders were at the end of season 2). I don't get the logic of trusting your most important operatives' cover to the whims of a teenager who doesn't have any loyalty to the USSR. Even if she doesn't directly rat them out she's still liable to let slip enough information to someone (preacher dude, Stan, Henry) for them to figure it out.

Team America. Every episode I hope to see those commie SOBs meet a very painful end.
    Last edited by myboynoah; 04-09-2015 at 06:07 PM.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Is everyone on Team Phillip here? I've been on Team Elizabeth for only around two minutes of this series, in particular during two really awesome scenes. But I always revert back to Team Phillip. I hope he gets away with the kids.

I have no idea if the Soviets ever had people like these two -- that essentially posed as married people and even had kids to provide deep cover -- but I have a hard time believing that someone could live in the US for over 15 years, be able to clearly compare the Soviet system to the US after extensive experience with both, and have the type of shit heaped on them like Keri Russel's character has and not start having the doubts that Phillip clearly has.
    Yes they did have spies like this. I'd guess Russia has some long term deep cover agents still.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

I know the term "illegals" is used to describe a Russian Federation spy program from the 90s and 2000s, but it seems like pulling off something like this would have been much easier during the cold war before digitization of records, etc.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I know the term "illegals" is used to describe a Russian Federation spy program from the 90s and 2000s, but it seems like pulling off something like this would have been much easier during the cold war before digitization of records, etc.
    They still have fake American town where their agents are trained in American cultural immersion. And as for motivations Russia has always been driven more by a sense of nationalism than communism and Putin is all about that. I'm the US has sleeper agents in multiple countries.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Tough way to die in last nights episode. One question, why would the Russians at this time care about apartheid.

That was uncomfortable. Not as bad as another burning death on a different popular FX series, but still bad.

I don't think they cared as much about apartheid as they did that oppressed people are always more susceptible to their Trojan horse message of worldwide revolution. The USSR had an obvious strategy of destabilizing African regimes to make way for communist takeovers. The USA did similar stuff in Central America. I also believe the ANC were allied with Moscow and the South African Communist Party for decades before the 80s.

Hans told Elizabeth that his murder of South African dude was messy but I think Elizabeth killing the old woman was messier. Definitely more heart wrenching.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    Hans told Elizabeth that his murder of South African dude was messy but I think Elizabeth killing the old woman was messier. Definitely more heart wrenching.
    Yep the recognition by the old lady that she wasn't getting out of there (when Elizabeth said "Russia") was sad. Sure didn't seem like there was any reason for Elizabeth even to go up to the office and confront her at all.

Also sort of interesting that you could tell that Elizabeth enjoyed having a real bonding moment that didn't involve lying for once. She is messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Yep the recognition by the old lady that she wasn't getting out of there (when Elizabeth said "Russia") was sad. Sure didn't seem like there was any reason for Elizabeth even to go up to the office and confront her at all.

Also sort of interesting that you could tell that Elizabeth enjoyed having a real bonding moment that didn't involve lying for once. She is messed up.
    Yeah that was twisted. She showed she was human by being disturbed at forcing an old lady to OD. I thought the lady's final words were perfect response to Elizabeth's entire world view: "that's what evil people tell themselves when they're about to do evil things."

What a great season this has been. Phillip telling Gabriel at the end that "you're my problem right now" was pretty great. Langella has been great in the role -- portraying the handler that tries to act like he has only the best intentions for those underneath him, but you know that he's a party guy through and through when push comes to shove.

Between the guy being lit on fire last week, and Elizabeth having to slowly kill the kind old woman (or watch the woman slowly kill herself), it seems like the show is trying to portray the toll this is taking on these two. It's pretty clear to me that Phillip would defect in a heartbeat if Elizabeth were on board. But the only way he makes a clean break of things without having to go into hiding is if he deals with the FBI directly. And if he goes to the FBI by himself, they'll prosecute (or deport/trade to the USSR) his childrens' mother, which is something that Phillip, right now, is not willing to do. But if it comes down to a choice of defecting to the FBI without Elizabeth or allowing Paige to become a Soviet operative, I think Phillip is going to choose his daughter over Elizabeth.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I started watching this three weeks ago and am nearing the end of Season 2 (I've tried to avoid the more recent Season 3 discussion here). The other night I watched the Martial Eagle episode where they scope out the Contra training camp. At the end of the episode I was rather surprised to see one of the writers was Oliver North. Now I'd guess he might be one of the most qualified people on the planet to work on that particular story line, but still... It was also interesting that the whole Contra thing isn't very flattering to the U.S., but Ollie was apparently on board with it. My only regret is that Fawn Hall was not featured.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I started watching this three weeks ago and am nearing the end of Season 2 (I've tried to avoid the more recent Season 3 discussion here). The other night I watched the Martial Eagle episode where they scope out the Contra training camp. At the end of the episode I was rather surprised to see one of the writers was Oliver North. Now I'd guess he might be one of the most qualified people on the planet to work on that particular story line, but still... It was also interesting that the whole Contra thing isn't very flattering to the U.S., but Ollie was apparently on board with it. My only regret is that Fawn Hall was not featured.
    Here you go. http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...uRT_story.html

Pretty lady, but the three distinct shades of teeth on the right side of her grill is not very flattering.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Here you go. http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...uRT_story.html

Pretty lady, but the three distinct shades of teeth on the right side of her grill is not very flattering.
    Her new husband, a recovering drug addict, admitted in a 1995 interview that soon after their “fairy-tale” wedding he introduced her to crack.
    That does sound magical.

This show has a knack for ratcheting up the tension in new and different ways each week. Great stuff and it was just renewed for a fourth season.

Lots of 1982 movies this week: "The Verdict", "Tootsie", "Dark Crystal", and "Tron" each were mentioned or shown. And of course the pop culture highlight of the episode was Henry's Eddie Murphy impression.

Great episode this week. I keep waiting for the day where Philip kills Martha

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Great episode this week. I keep waiting for the day where Philip kills Martha
    Or she kills herself with that gun she bought last season.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    Or she kills herself with that gun she bought last season.
    Maybe she already has. Note the empty desk when Stan came back from the interrogation.

Promo for the M*A*S*H series finale on the TV in the background puts the timeline of the show just before February 28, 1983. Going off the title of next week's show the Cold War is about to escalate. Pretty poor timing for telling your teenage daughter you're Soviet spies and convincing her of the rightness of the cause.

I thought Martha for sure was going to kill herself after her phone call to her mother. When "Clark" walked into her apartment I was waiting for the camera to pan over to her corpse. Now that see has seen Phillip I can't think of anyway she doesn't die next week.

This show is so damn good.

Did they show Elizabeth's ass again? It seems a little gratuitous but I'm alright with it.

Didn't love the finale, but they set the stage for a killer season 4.

On the bright side she didn't have long to think about it.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    On the bright side she didn't have long to think about it.
    It was darkly funny, "The execution will be carried out shortly..."

I haven't seen last nights episode. Is that the last one this season? It seems like it just barely came back on.

Edit: My bad, I read an above post and realized it was from a year ago.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.