Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FX's The Americans

Default FX's The Americans

Anyone watch this show? Season 1 is free with Amazon Prime. I watched two episodes last night. They weren't incredible, but the plot has serious potential.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Anyone watch this show? Season 1 is free with Amazon Prime. I watched two episodes last night. They weren't incredible, but the plot has serious potential.
    I was really excited when it was first being advertised. Watched the pilot when it originally aired and felt the same as you: great potential but not an amazing episode. It obviously didn't grab me because I never got around to watching episode 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Its been discussed here elsewhere (can't remember where). I watched all of season one. Wasn't the best show on TV, but I did enjoy it. Especially the scenes with Nina in them.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I liked season 1... haven't watched season 2 at all.

We are watching this on Netflix right now. We just got the 2nd disc, we've watched the first three episodes.

We'll keep watching. We both like it.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Default The Americans

Surprised this doesn't have its own thread already. The Americans on FX is kicking ass this season. Best show on TV right now (including Mad Men). Matthew Rhys's performance in last night's episode should put him in competition with Cranston and McConaughey for the Emmy in a just world. That won't happen because the show doesn't have as much buzz. If you aren't watching this yet, you should make time for it.

Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    Surprised this doesn't have its own thread already. The Americans on FX is kicking ass this season. Best show on TV right now (including Mad Men). Matthew Rhys's performance in last night's episode should put him in competition with Cranston and McConaughey for the Emmy in a just world. That won't happen because the show doesn't have as much buzz. If you aren't watching this yet, you should make time for it.
    It does ... your post is now in it.

We've continued to really like the show. We blew through the first season on Netflix and caught up to the current week using "On Demand" on Comcast.

It has what I would consider a lot of nudity and sex scenes in it, so be warned of that, but the plot is really good, and we've been impressed with Carrie Russell and Rhy's performances as well. They frequently dress up as other people so people won't be able to identify them, and they do a great job acting like completely different people.

I watched S1 E5 ("Comint") this morning while riding my exercise bike. I had to laugh at when Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell) pulled out the FBI's encryption key and made a copy of it using the old clay impression trick. Of course, we are taking about 1980's technology here.

I found most of the other stuff in this show so far very believable, however. I read that the show's creator and one of the writers, Joseph Weisberg, use to work for the CIA and has to have any scripts he wrote approved by the CIA publications review board.
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 04-24-2014 at 09:35 AM.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

There's way too much killing and kidnapping going on; that couple are at serial killer levels.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

I think Season 2 is overall better than Season 1, but I'm not sure I'd put this show as the best series on TV at the moment like UVACoug.

It's a solid show worth watching on Amazon Prime and setting the DVR for. The underlying premise is such an awesome idea that I expect the next season and a half will produce exceptional episodes. It's certainly trending that way.

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    There's way too much killing and kidnapping going on; that couple are at serial killer levels.
    Yeah, in the last one I just watched Elizabeth shot the dude right in the head. The KGB killings are very graphic. The CIA, on the other hand, just sends a drone in to blow things up. That is not as near as messy.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    SPOILER ALERT! Lebowski should ban your ass.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    SPOILER ALERT! Lebowski should ban your ass.
    I don't know if this is a dungeons and dragons show, JL might not be interested.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I don't know if this is a dungeons and dragons show, JL might not be interested.
    Please keep the Dungeons and Dragons talk in the "Community" thread.

The last episode was the best of the series. The episode that featured Keri Russel's ass was a solid second. This might be one of those shows that plods along ratings-wise that doesn't get recognition from the masses that it deserves until the end, like Breaking Bad.

The big mistake that FX is making is not teaming up with Netflix like AMC. Amazon Prime probably doesn't have half the subscribers that Netflix has.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

I've watched this entire series over the last 4 days while hopped up on Perocet. So basically I have no idea how good it is or is isn't.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

I am excited for the season finale.

Finale was so-so. The table is set for a solid season 3, though.

That body disposal!

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    That body disposal!
    Yeah that was memorable.

So NBC has a new show called Allegiance. I gather from the commercial I just saw that it's about a secret KGB couple living in America. A CIA agent lives across the street and is their friend. And the KGB wants to force their kids into also serving the Motherland.

Is that even legal? Yeah sure it will probably get cancelled after 3 episodes but just seems like they took it a little too far.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Yeah that was memorable.

So NBC has a new show called Allegiance. I gather from the commercial I just saw that it's about a secret KGB couple living in America. A CIA agent lives across the street and is their friend. And the KGB wants to force their kids into also serving the Motherland.
    It's more like the Americans 20 years later; they are now inactive agents (technically the husband is an american ... he is just a traitor) and the now grown-up son joins the CIA. Hilarity ensues (or if you prefer: The KGB or whatever its called now wants to activate the couple and have them recruit the son as a double agent).

We're still making our way through Season 2. I think it's a good show, but agree with MBNoah that the number of killings and kidnappings that this couple pull off is a tad over-the-top. I live fairly close to the Residentura and I've never seen anyone stuffed in the trunk of a car. Although now that I think about it, there have been a number of suspiciously low-riding vehicles.

So many great scenes tonight. That low speed car chase was tense. The sound design last week with the body disposal and this week with the amateur dentistry was grossly superb. Also CMBF would give this episode an A+.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    So many great scenes tonight. That low speed car chase was tense. The sound design last week with the body disposal and this week with the amateur dentistry was grossly superb. Also CMBF would give this episode an A+.
    A++. Turn around Keri!
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    A++. Turn around Keri!
    That was very, very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    A++. Turn around Keri!
    Too bad it's not on HBO or Showtime -- then we could at least hope for more.

Solid episode last night -- great show.

Just got around to starting this show. I'm hooked.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

This weeks episode was setting up future episodes. It sure opened and closed on an creepy note though. Was that "Love's Baby Soft" commercial as uncomfortable to watch 33 years ago as it is in 2015? The closing shot of Philip working the CIA director's daughter with that look of "WTF am I doing?" Remember it wasn't long ago that he roughed up the dude from the mall who was hitting on Paige.

This week we get a couple Yazoo songs as the period music.

This show is getting better every week. I don't remember the Love's Baby Soft commercial at the time, but that was freaky as shit. If Mad Men were a continuously running soap opera, I could see a 55-year old Don Draper, suffering from acute cirrhosis of the liver, coming up with something like that on his deathbed.