No announcement yet.

Knockout Game: NCAA Tournament Knockout Pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up to 29 participants, including a couple young whippersnappers from my office.

If anyone knows how to quickly get a hold of BYU71, let him know he owes me one more pick, since his other pick doesn't play until tomorrow.

EDIT: NM, just heard from him.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

We're off with a cool 30 participants. Here's the list:

Entrant
      Paid? Thursday Picks
      Surfah Michigan San Diego St.
      DH Michigan St. Louisville
      Mrs. DH Wisconsin Syracuse
      smokymtnrain Michigan Wisconsin
      Blueintheface St. Louis Oklahoma
      MormonRedDeath Michigan St. Wisconsin
      Flystrippper Michigan Wisconsin
      Clark Addison Wisconsin Villanova
      BYU71 Florida Wisconsin
      Jeff Lebowski Syracuse Creighton
      cougjunkie Michigan San Diego St.
      snowcat Cincinnati Texas
      Art Vandelay Michigan St. Ohio St.
      scottie Louisville Oklahoma
      IJ Reily Ohio St. San Diego St.
      RC Vikings Louisville Villanova
      ER Cougar Michigan Villanova
      CJF Wisconsin Villanova
      Joe Public Michigan St. Louisville
      wapiti Syracuse Ohio St.
      HFN Cincinnati Wisconsin
      ladyduckcoug St. Louis Texas
      HFN Jr Wisconsin San Diego St.
      HFN Captain St. Louis Oregon
      HFN Goose Oklahoma Western Mich
      Parrot Head Oklahoma San Diego St.
      Tick Ohio St. San Diego St.
      Cardiac Coug Louisville San Diego St.
      Mpass Michigan Wisconsin
      Ksmith Michigan Villanova
      There are a couple of you who have paid me but I wasn't able to figure out who you are. If you've paid and I don't have your payment noted, shoot me a PM and let me know who the payment was from.

Thanks, and good luck!
      Last edited by Donuthole; 03-20-2014, 02:59 PM. Reason: Updated to reflect additional payments
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Thanks for doing this DH.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Entrant
          Paid? Thursday Picks
          BYU71 Florida Wisconsin
          snowcat Cincinnati Texas
          CJF Wisconsin Villanova
          wapiti Syracuse Ohio St.
          HFN Cincinnati Wisconsin
          Mpass Michigan Wisconsin
          There are a couple of you who have paid me but I wasn't able to figure out who you are. If you've paid and I don't have your payment noted, shoot me a PM and let me know who the payment was from.

Thanks, and good luck!
          Help my understanding of this game a bit better. Why wouldn't everyone pick the number 1 seeds since they are the most likely to not get knocked off. Do you get extra points for picking a lower seed team that wins?

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            Help my understanding of this game a bit better. Why wouldn't everyone pick the number 1 seeds since they are the most likely to not get knocked off. Do you get extra points for picking a lower seed team that wins?
            That is a safe way to get through the first two days. However, you are not able to pick a team twice, so you have now eliminated, in the first two days of a potential 9-day contest, the four teams most likely to run deep into the tournament. But last year, anyone who would have picked four number 1 seeds would probably have won, because there were so many upsets and nobody wanted to buy back in (Though we only had about 14 players). Picks are a balance of safety vs. saving likely winners for later in the tournament.

I think re-buys are more likely this year, as we cut the cost in half.

Comment

Entrant
              Paid? Thursday Picks
              BYU71 Florida Wisconsin
              snowcat Cincinnati Texas
              CJF Wisconsin Villanova
              wapiti Syracuse Ohio St.
              HFN Cincinnati Wisconsin
              Mpass Michigan Wisconsin

Thanks, and good luck!
              Nobody picked BYU. I'm saving them for later rounds.
              One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
              SU

Comment

Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                Nobody picked BYU. I'm saving them for later rounds.
                Good answer.
                "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

That is a safe way to get through the first two days. However, you are not able to pick a team twice, so you have now eliminated, in the first two days of a potential 9-day contest, the four teams most likely to run deep into the tournament. But last year, anyone who would have picked four number 1 seeds would probably have won, because there were so many upsets and nobody wanted to buy back in (Though we only had about 14 players). Picks are a balance of safety vs. saving likely winners for later in the tournament.

OK, thanks.

Comment

I am thinking you just said that the results of last year were based on luck more than strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                      I am thinking you just said that the results of last year were based on luck more than strategy.
                      Obviously!
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Thanks for doing this DH.
                        Ditto.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                          Ditto.
                          I will hold my ditto until I win or not.

Comment

I will hold my ditto until I win or not.
                            BTW, did you birdie #8? Short, downhill par 3, right?

Comment

BTW, did you birdie #8? Short, downhill par 3, right?
                              No, eight is the short kind of dog leg right par 4. Lake on the left when you get to the hole. You are thinking of #5 with the Lake on the left. I did par it.

I birdied two which is a 170 yard par 3 and followed with a birdie on 3. Your good vibes were a great help though. I shot 78 and haven't been in the seventies since August and that was only 1 of maybe 5 times all of last year.

Comment

No, eight is the short kind of dog leg right par 4. Lake on the left when you get to the hole. You are thinking of #5 with the Lake on the left. I did par it.

I birdied two which is a 170 yard par 3 and followed with a birdie on 3. Your good vibes were a great help though. I shot 78 and haven't been in the seventies since August and that was only 1 of maybe 5 times all of last year.
                                That's funny. I swear on my life I was going to say #2 when I commented yesterday, but I remembered that it was a pretty long par 3 and not a very common birdie hole. Congrats on the nice round.

Comment

Working...
                                X