Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 1264

Thread: Knockout Game: NCAA Tournament Knockout Pool

  1. #31

    Default

    Up to 29 participants, including a couple young whippersnappers from my office.

    If anyone knows how to quickly get a hold of BYU71, let him know he owes me one more pick, since his other pick doesn't play until tomorrow.

    EDIT: NM, just heard from him.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  2. #32

    Default

    We're off with a cool 30 participants. Here's the list:

    Entrant
    Paid? Thursday Picks
    Surfah Michigan San Diego St.
    DH Michigan St. Louisville
    Mrs. DH Wisconsin Syracuse
    smokymtnrain Michigan Wisconsin
    Blueintheface St. Louis Oklahoma
    MormonRedDeath Michigan St. Wisconsin
    Flystrippper Michigan Wisconsin
    Clark Addison Wisconsin Villanova
    BYU71 Florida Wisconsin
    Jeff Lebowski Syracuse Creighton
    cougjunkie Michigan San Diego St.
    snowcat Cincinnati Texas
    Art Vandelay Michigan St. Ohio St.
    scottie Louisville Oklahoma
    IJ Reily Ohio St. San Diego St.
    RC Vikings Louisville Villanova
    ER Cougar Michigan Villanova
    CJF Wisconsin Villanova
    Joe Public Michigan St. Louisville
    wapiti Syracuse Ohio St.
    HFN Cincinnati Wisconsin
    ladyduckcoug St. Louis Texas
    HFN Jr Wisconsin San Diego St.
    HFN Captain St. Louis Oregon
    HFN Goose Oklahoma Western Mich
    Parrot Head Oklahoma San Diego St.
    Tick Ohio St. San Diego St.
    Cardiac Coug Louisville San Diego St.
    Mpass Michigan Wisconsin
    Ksmith Michigan Villanova

    There are a couple of you who have paid me but I wasn't able to figure out who you are. If you've paid and I don't have your payment noted, shoot me a PM and let me know who the payment was from.

    Thanks, and good luck!
    Last edited by Donuthole; 03-20-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Updated to reflect additional payments
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  3. #33
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,578

    Default

    Thanks for doing this DH.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  4. #34
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    We're off with a cool 30 participants. Here's the list:

    Entrant
    Paid? Thursday Picks
    Surfah Michigan San Diego St.
    DH Michigan St. Louisville
    Mrs. DH Wisconsin Syracuse
    smokymtnrain Michigan Wisconsin
    Blueintheface St. Louis Oklahoma
    MormonRedDeath Michigan St. Wisconsin
    Flystrippper Michigan Wisconsin
    Clark Addison Wisconsin Villanova
    BYU71 Florida Wisconsin
    Jeff Lebowski Syracuse Creighton
    cougjunkie Michigan San Diego St.
    snowcat Cincinnati Texas
    Art Vandelay Michigan St. Ohio St.
    scottie Louisville Oklahoma
    IJ Reily Ohio St. San Diego St.
    RC Vikings Louisville Villanova
    ER Cougar Michigan Villanova
    CJF Wisconsin Villanova
    Joe Public Michigan St. Louisville
    wapiti Syracuse Ohio St.
    HFN Cincinnati Wisconsin
    ladyduckcoug St. Louis Texas
    HFN Jr Wisconsin San Diego St.
    HFN Captain St. Louis Oregon
    HFN Goose Oklahoma Western Mich
    Parrot Head Oklahoma San Diego St.
    Tick Ohio St. San Diego St.
    Cardiac Coug Louisville San Diego St.
    Mpass Michigan Wisconsin
    Ksmith Michigan Villanova

    There are a couple of you who have paid me but I wasn't able to figure out who you are. If you've paid and I don't have your payment noted, shoot me a PM and let me know who the payment was from.

    Thanks, and good luck!
    Help my understanding of this game a bit better. Why wouldn't everyone pick the number 1 seeds since they are the most likely to not get knocked off. Do you get extra points for picking a lower seed team that wins?

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    Help my understanding of this game a bit better. Why wouldn't everyone pick the number 1 seeds since they are the most likely to not get knocked off. Do you get extra points for picking a lower seed team that wins?
    That is a safe way to get through the first two days. However, you are not able to pick a team twice, so you have now eliminated, in the first two days of a potential 9-day contest, the four teams most likely to run deep into the tournament. But last year, anyone who would have picked four number 1 seeds would probably have won, because there were so many upsets and nobody wanted to buy back in (Though we only had about 14 players). Picks are a balance of safety vs. saving likely winners for later in the tournament.

    I think re-buys are more likely this year, as we cut the cost in half.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    We're off with a cool 30 participants. Here's the list:

    Entrant
    Paid? Thursday Picks
    Surfah Michigan San Diego St.
    DH Michigan St. Louisville
    Mrs. DH Wisconsin Syracuse
    smokymtnrain Michigan Wisconsin
    Blueintheface St. Louis Oklahoma
    MormonRedDeath Michigan St. Wisconsin
    Flystrippper Michigan Wisconsin
    Clark Addison Wisconsin Villanova
    BYU71 Florida Wisconsin
    Jeff Lebowski Syracuse Creighton
    cougjunkie Michigan San Diego St.
    snowcat Cincinnati Texas
    Art Vandelay Michigan St. Ohio St.
    scottie Louisville Oklahoma
    IJ Reily Ohio St. San Diego St.
    RC Vikings Louisville Villanova
    ER Cougar Michigan Villanova
    CJF Wisconsin Villanova
    Joe Public Michigan St. Louisville
    wapiti Syracuse Ohio St.
    HFN Cincinnati Wisconsin
    ladyduckcoug St. Louis Texas
    HFN Jr Wisconsin San Diego St.
    HFN Captain St. Louis Oregon
    HFN Goose Oklahoma Western Mich
    Parrot Head Oklahoma San Diego St.
    Tick Ohio St. San Diego St.
    Cardiac Coug Louisville San Diego St.
    Mpass Michigan Wisconsin
    Ksmith Michigan Villanova

    There are a couple of you who have paid me but I wasn't able to figure out who you are. If you've paid and I don't have your payment noted, shoot me a PM and let me know who the payment was from.

    Thanks, and good luck!
    Nobody picked BYU. I'm saving them for later rounds.
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

    Woot

    I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

  7. #37
    Senior Member Blueintheface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cedar Hills, UT
    Posts
    15,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    Nobody picked BYU. I'm saving them for later rounds.
    Good answer.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

    "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

  8. #38
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    That is a safe way to get through the first two days. However, you are not able to pick a team twice, so you have now eliminated, in the first two days of a potential 9-day contest, the four teams most likely to run deep into the tournament. But last year, anyone who would have picked four number 1 seeds would probably have won, because there were so many upsets and nobody wanted to buy back in (Though we only had about 14 players). Picks are a balance of safety vs. saving likely winners for later in the tournament.

    I think re-buys are more likely this year, as we cut the cost in half.
    OK, thanks.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Clark Addison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Beautiful South
    Posts
    7,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    That is a safe way to get through the first two days. However, you are not able to pick a team twice, so you have now eliminated, in the first two days of a potential 9-day contest, the four teams most likely to run deep into the tournament. But last year, anyone who would have picked four number 1 seeds would probably have won, because there were so many upsets and nobody wanted to buy back in (Though we only had about 14 players). Picks are a balance of safety vs. saving likely winners for later in the tournament.

    I think re-buys are more likely this year, as we cut the cost in half.
    I am thinking you just said that the results of last year were based on luck more than strategy.

  10. #40
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    I am thinking you just said that the results of last year were based on luck more than strategy.
    Obviously!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Thanks for doing this DH.
    Ditto.

  12. #42
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Ditto.
    I will hold my ditto until I win or not.

  13. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    I will hold my ditto until I win or not.
    BTW, did you birdie #8? Short, downhill par 3, right?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  14. #44
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    BTW, did you birdie #8? Short, downhill par 3, right?
    No, eight is the short kind of dog leg right par 4. Lake on the left when you get to the hole. You are thinking of #5 with the Lake on the left. I did par it.

    I birdied two which is a 170 yard par 3 and followed with a birdie on 3. Your good vibes were a great help though. I shot 78 and haven't been in the seventies since August and that was only 1 of maybe 5 times all of last year.

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    No, eight is the short kind of dog leg right par 4. Lake on the left when you get to the hole. You are thinking of #5 with the Lake on the left. I did par it.

    I birdied two which is a 170 yard par 3 and followed with a birdie on 3. Your good vibes were a great help though. I shot 78 and haven't been in the seventies since August and that was only 1 of maybe 5 times all of last year.
    That's funny. I swear on my life I was going to say #2 when I commented yesterday, but I remembered that it was a pretty long par 3 and not a very common birdie hole. Congrats on the nice round.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  16. #46
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    That's funny. I swear on my life I was going to say #2 when I commented yesterday, but I remembered that it was a pretty long par 3 and not a very common birdie hole. Congrats on the nice round.
    Thanks, since having sex is not a real possibility, shooting in the 70's is as good as it gets for me.

  17. #47
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    Thanks, since having sex is not a real possibility, shooting in the 70's is as good as it gets for me.
    PM me your address I'll send you some pills.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  18. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    Thanks, since having sex is not a real possibility, shooting in the 70's is as good as it gets for me.
    Cheer up. I think you've still got a 69 or two in you?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  19. #49

    Default

    We have a late addition. fusnik would like to join, but didn't get me his picks until now. I have granted him late entry, but he'll have to pay $20 and pick four winners tomorrow. It will essentially be as if he lost and re-bought, regardless of what happens with his Thursday picks. Despite complaining about gouging, he has agreed.

    His Thursday picks are Oregon and Villanova.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  20. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    We have a late addition. fusnik would like to join, but didn't get me his picks until now. I have granted him late entry, but he'll have to pay $20 and pick four winners tomorrow. It will essentially be as if he lost and re-bought, regardless of what happens with his Thursday picks. Despite complaining about gouging, he has agreed.

    His Thursday picks are Oregon and Villanova.
    He should have to pay extra for picking Oregon.
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

    Woot

    I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

  21. #51
    Senior Member Blueintheface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cedar Hills, UT
    Posts
    15,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    He should have to pay extra for picking Oregon.
    I know. Gimmees should always cost more. (Channeling my inner-LiveCoug)
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

    "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

  22. #52
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    We have a late addition. fusnik would like to join, but didn't get me his picks until now. I have granted him late entry, but he'll have to pay $20 and pick four winners tomorrow. It will essentially be as if he lost and re-bought, regardless of what happens with his Thursday picks. Despite complaining about gouging, he has agreed.

    His Thursday picks are Oregon and Villanova.
    LOL, he should pay a "I am a dick" fee anyway. $10 entrance and $40 dick fee.

  23. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blueintheface View Post
    I know. Gimmees should always cost more. (Channeling my inner-LiveCoug)
    I was worried until I saw a WCC team dismantle a PAC team the other day.
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

    Woot

    I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

  24. #54

    Default

    4 down
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

    Woot

    I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

  25. #55

    Default

    Looks like I'll have to be the first to re-up. Stupid Ohio State. Who loses to Dayton?

  26. #56
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,953

    Default

    So Colorado is getting the American treatment.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  27. #57

    Default

    Cinci going down.
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

    Woot

    I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

  28. #58
    Operation Hot Mother Parrot Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Southern Part of Heaven
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    I've never watched a Sooner basketball game with so much interest before tonight.

    Take two... I've never watched a Sooner basketball game with so much interest before tonight.

    Take three... I've never watched a Sooner basketball game with so much any interest before tonight.

    Take four... I've never watched a Sooner basketball game with so much any interest before tonight.
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

  29. #59

    Default

    It was brought to my attention that JL's pick of Creighton doesn't work, since they don't play today. He emailed me this morning with revised picks, and in my haste to get to a court hearing, I updated the spreadsheet without realizing that Creighton doesn't play today. About 3 hours ago he brought this to my attention.

    I have decided that the most fair thing to everyone is to let him go back to his original picks of Cincinnati and Oklahoma. He can buy in for tomorrow and pick 4 winners. Sorry, JL.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  30. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    It was brought to my attention that JL's pick of Creighton doesn't work, since they don't play today. He emailed me this morning with revised picks, and in my haste to get to a court hearing, I updated the spreadsheet without realizing that Creighton doesn't play today. About 3 hours ago he brought this to my attention.

    I have decided that the most fair thing to everyone is to let him go back to his original picks of Cincinnati and Oklahoma. He can buy in for tomorrow and pick 4 winners. Sorry, JL.
    Yikes. Goes 0 for 2.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    *Banned*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •