Knockout Game: NCAA Tournament Knockout Pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knockout Game: NCAA Tournament Knockout Pool

Remix 2014. Accepting entries at $10 per entry (down from $20 last year, hopefully to encourage more re-buys). If you don't know the rules, here you go:

CS.com Knockout Pool Rules:
    • $10 per entry

• You have to send in your picks via PM before the start of the first game on Thursday. No exceptions.

• For Thursday of Round 64, you have to pick TWO WINNERS. Not against the spread, just outright winners — again, both teams just have to win. If either loses, you’re out … but you can buy back in for another $10 (and if you buy back in, you have to pick FOUR winners on Friday, not two).

• For Friday, same thing if you advanced … you have to pick TWO more winners. Both teams have to win. If either of them loses, you’re out … but you can buy back in on Saturday for another $10 (only now, you have to pick FIVE winners that day and go 5-for-5 to stay alive).

• You can only buy back in a maximum of three times (and you can’t buy in after the conclusion of Saturday’s games).

• You cannot pick the same team twice. Even if you get knocked out and buy back in, you can’t reuse a team. One and done.

• If you nailed your Friday pick (or picks), you only have to pick one winner on Saturday.

• If you lose your Saturday pick (or any one of your Saturday picks), you can buy back in for Sunday’s games for the final time … only now, you have to pick SIX winners that day and go 6-for-6 to stay alive. And again, you can’t pick a team you already used.

• If you nailed your Saturday pick (or picks), you only have to pick one winner on Sunday to advance. Can’t be a team you already used.

• If you make it out of the weekend alive, you only have to pick one winner per day after that. (Again, you can’t buy back in after that first Sunday.) Remember, you can’t use the same team twice. I hate to keep harping on this, but you’d be amazed how many times it’s been screwed up in our pool.

• Once you run out of teams to pick, you advance to the next day but automatically lose. For instance, let’s say you already used Duke in Round 1 and Kentucky in Round 2, then they met on Sunday in the Elite 8 … only you had already picked every other team playing that Sunday. In that scenario, you automatically lose on the next day of games (in this case, Saturday of the Final 4). You are out of teams.

• Important wrinkle for that last point: Even if you’re out of teams and headed for an automatic loss, you still have to be beaten by another contestant who made a successful pick that same day. An “automatic loss” and “a pick that became a loss” means the same.

• Last man standing wins. Winner takes all. Second-place prizes are for wusses.

• If more than one person is left standing, they can either split the pot or agree to keep going until someone wins … which is obviously the manly thing to do.
    Provide me with your picks via PM and I'll create a spreadsheet. I'll also reply and provide you info re: payment. Here's to knocking last year's champ--that cocky bastard Clark Addison--off his college basketball high horse.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

:bringit:
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

List of participants so far:

Surfah
      Donuthole
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Surfah
        Donuthole
        C'mon big money!

Comment

I am in. I will send you my picks today.
          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Surfah
            Donuthole
            Just sent my picks.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

I am tempted to retire on top, but a first round exit seems more satisfying, somehow. I'm in.

Comment

Surfah
                Donuthole
                MRD
                SMR
                cj
                flystripper

C'mon folks. Still haven't received pick from some of last year's participants, including HFN and sons, AV, CA, JIC, CJF, ER, Eddie Jones, and Coach.

Comment

C'mon folks. Still haven't received pick from some of last year's participants, including HFN and sons, AV, CA, JIC, CJF, ER, Eddie Jones, and Coach.
                  Since you saw fit not to acknowledge as if you don't care that I am not in, I am not going to get in. I will be sulking for several days.

Comment

Speaking of Eddie Jones, what kind of sports fan travels to Europe during football season and then takes a cruise during March Madness?

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      Since you saw fit not to acknowledge as if you don't care that I am not in, I am not going to get in. I will be sulking for several days.
                      You didn't play last year. But you, your money, and your senility are certainly welcome to join us this year!

Comment

You didn't play last year. But you, your money, and your senility are certainly welcome to join us this year!
                        Senility, well I guess there is now proof. I thought I won it last year.

Can I get in tomorrow before the games start? I am leaving to play golf in a half hour and it takes me a while to get everything together.

Comment

Senility, well I guess there is now proof. I thought I won it last year.

Can I get in tomorrow before the games start? I am leaving to play golf in a half hour and it takes me a while to get everything together.
                          Yes, if you get your picks in early tomorrow, you're good. Just in case you didn't read the opening post, this is not a bracket challenge, it is a knockout pool. But your participation is no less welcome.

Comment

Yes, if you get your picks in early tomorrow, you're good. Just in case you didn't read the opening post, this is not a bracket challenge, it is a knockout pool. But your participation is no less welcome.
                            I will read through it in the morning or tonight. Might be too complicated for me.

Comment

I will read through it in the morning or tonight. Might be too complicated for me.
                              I understand you are really old, but it's not complicated. You pick two teams you think will win on Thursday (pretty easy, right?), then you send $10 to DH (even easier!).
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                              X