Spring Camp!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Camp!

I guess there's not a heck of a lot to glean from spring camp, but it's exciting anyway. From the D-News, here are the storylines to watch:

1. Battle for backup QB
    2. Kaufusi position switch
    3. Trammel looking to lock down spot opposite JJ
    4. Robertson Daniel -- does he move positions?
    5. Kurtz and Davis integrating at receiver
    6. Battle for Mike backer -- Pikula inside track, Kautai, Heder, Ho-Ching and Stout in the mix
    7. Replacing Eathyn M. at nose -- Johnson with edge, Peoples, Tuiloma, and Tausinga in play
    8. Alisa switch to outside backer
    9. O-line -- will Kanuch, Lapuaho, etc, provide needed help?
    10. Tight End -- how much will the position be used and who will emerge?

Anything they missed that you're hoping to see out of spring camp? Position battles? Players?
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

What the hell are we going to do with special teams?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      What the hell are we going to do with special teams?
      Wing it!
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Good news. Our offense is going to look for more points in 2014!

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865...n-in-2014.html

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
          Wing it!
          Bronco has hinted at such with Lasike and a run/punt option. I feel like our special teams is not getting enough attention. The penalties last year were inexcusable. Coverage was terrible on several plays. We have capable returners and I am looking forward to that part of the game this coming season. However, I have no clue what we're going to do with our kicking game. Punting sucks and the only place kicker we have is LaVell's great grand nephew or whatever.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

It was nice to have a dependable placekicker last year. I would be happy with someone you could count on 30 and closer vs 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
              Good news. Our offense is going to look for more points in 2014!

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865...n-in-2014.html
              Ah. That explains the reduced focus on special teams. We won't need to punt. And our only kicks will be extra points (other than when we go for two, which should be every time, since our offense will be so intense and efficient).
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Not a good start to this thread guys.
                "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                  Not a good start to this thread guys.
                  I couldn't care less about Spring ball. What have we ever learned from Spring ball that proved true in the fall and during the season?

Note: Just because that is my attitude, I wouldn't want to dampen anyone else's excitement over Spring ball.

Hopefull that gets the thread back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                    I couldn't care less about Spring ball. What have we ever learned from Spring ball that proved true in the fall and during the season?
                    Note: Just because that is my attitude, I wouldn't want to dampen anyone else's excitement over Spring ball.

Hopefull that gets the thread back on track.
                    Before Alani Fua had ever played a game, I learned he was going to be very good pass rusher. Before DiLuigi had ever played a game, I learned he was going to be a solid playmaker for BYU. I learned that, despite the hype in terms of size and athletic ability, Ziggy couldn't get off a block and wasn't going to contribute much, if at all, his first season on the team.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      Before Alani Fua had ever played a game, I learned he was going to be very good pass rusher. Before DiLuigi had ever played a game, I learned he was going to be a solid playmaker for BYU. I learned that, despite the hype in terms of size and athletic ability, Ziggy couldn't get off a block and wasn't going to contribute much, if at all, his first season on the team.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head.
                      As I indicated, I have no problem with others gaining fun and excitement out of Spring ball. My memory may be bad, did Fua play much his freshman year?

Comment

Re: sprecial teams.

I still think we should almost always go for it on 4th down, always go for 2, always onside kick, and only punt when we are inside our own 30. Who needs a kicker? Haven't we already determined that they are all assholes?
                        "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

What about that track star from Alabama who had game-changing speed, yea even Drew Phillips? I would never have heard of the guy if not for spring football chatter on this very board.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                            I guess there's not a heck of a lot to glean from spring camp, but it's exciting anyway. From the D-News, here are the storylines to watch:

1. Battle for backup QB
                            2. Kaufusi position switch
                            3. Trammel looking to lock down spot opposite JJ
                            4. Robertson Daniel -- does he move positions?
                            5. Kurtz and Davis integrating at receiver
                            6. Battle for Mike backer -- Pikula inside track, Kautai, Heder, Ho-Ching and Stout in the mix
                            7. Replacing Eathyn M. at nose -- Johnson with edge, Peoples, Tuiloma, and Tausinga in play
                            8. Alisa switch to outside backer
                            9. O-line -- will Kanuch, Lapuaho, etc, provide needed help?
                            10. Tight End -- how much will the position be used and who will emerge?

Anything they missed that you're hoping to see out of spring camp? Position battles? Players?
                            OL is the biggest question mark for me. I think we essentially return pretty much every OL contributor. The question becomes how much better can they get with extra time in the system and reps. OL is one group that really needs to gel as a unit to be successful. Hopefully we can settle in on some positions and rotations and be in a better spot than we were last year.

After that, I'm not really worried about anything from defense. We've always been fine, and while we're replacing some legit greats at BYU (KVN, Sorensen, Big E) we also return a lot of talent. Secondary is probably the one unit that could carry the defense, although I'm slightly worried about replacing Danny's production at safety. My gut tells me that Daniel gets moved back to safety, and I would feel comfortable with that, especially if JJ and TT are looking to be fully recovered at the corner. Fua is back as a playmaker at OLB, and we should be okay in the middle. To me, middle backer is one spot where it's easier than most to replace production.

Offensively, the wideouts is what I'll be watching after the OL. Who steps up to replace Hoff's alpha dog status? Will we finally see Ross take a step? Will Kurtz be the go-to guy? Can Matthews stay healthy? Will Davis be able to make the transition (he's a guy I'm admittedly high on, here is hoping he doesn't let me down). This year may be WRBC, so it'll be interesting to see who steps in.

I'm also a little interested to see who returns punts this year. Will Hine get that role? He was phenomenal on kickoffs, but he seems more like a 'straight-line' returner, not the shifty type that does well on punts.

It's just nice to have spring football here though. And it looks like it'll be a beautiful day to kick it off!

Comment

Football is back!
                              Bh1wVutCYAA8K6_.jpg

From Greg Wrubell's twitter feed:

Anae: QBs are Hill, Stewart, Green, 1-2-3.
                              First-string OL on day one of spring (L-R): Wesley, Kafu, Alletto, Kanuch, Yeck. 2's: Lapuaho, Johnson, Fusi, Black, Lawlor.
                              Bronco said OL Brayden Kearsley's opening-day absence was academics-related; said others were out for same reason, Kearsley top of mind.
                              Kearsley was the one that was a question for me. Hopefully he gets his issues squared away and is back on the field quickly.

First-string secondary to open spring: Trammell, Daniel (CB); Bills, PoVey (S). 2's: Bateman, Preator (CB); Leavitt, Nacua (S).
                              Bronco says soph-to-be Dallin Leavitt will play another season in the fall and is scheduled to be a safety, thanks to added depth at corner.
                              Interesting that PoVey was a safety moved to corner instead of Daniel. Although I feel better about the safety depth with Leavitt and Badger than I would the corner depth if JJ isn't ready and Mike Davis is moving back to WR.

First-group offense (non-OL): Hill, Williams, Lasike, Mahina, Henderson, Pearson. Second group: Stewart, Brown, Houk, Davis, Kurtz, Thompson
                              The first group on offense outside of Williams does not inspire confidence. Hopefully we see Davis and Kurtz replacing Henderson and Pearson.

Comment

Working...
                              X