Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
    Not a big fan.

I wonder why as a country we are still pretty racially insensitive.

Now I am not having this turn into an illegal immigrant thread. I am talking about the way people talk about other ethnicities when they aren't around.

Things I hear in the oil field on a daily basis that get me upset. And Drunk_Tank can verify that I speak my mind when this happens.

The following have no place in society:

Nigger
    Porch Monkey
    Raghead/Towelhead
    Wetback
    Spic
    Chink
    Jap
    Slant eye

You forgot Bohunk and Polock for Eastern Europeans. I think these terms will disappear with time.

I think one of the advantages I had growing up as an "Army Brat" was that I grew up with lots of different ethnic groups/races and lived played and went to school with them.

I remember coming back to Utah when my father was overseas and being shocked at how my grandparents and other relatives referred to non whites esp. Hispanics.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Today I learned that not acting racist, even if you think that way, because of the negative social pressure against being racist, is not good enough.

http://www.maryrobinettekowal.com/jo...ciety-that-is/

Look, I get the ideal is that no one ever has a racist thought again, but as long as people look different, people will notice these differences.

If we are at a point where the vast majority of people will not ACT racist because society will react negatively, can't that be a win? Why do we have to complain about it?

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
        You forgot Bohunk and Polock for Eastern Europeans. I think these terms will disappear with time.

I think one of the advantages I had growing up as an "Army Brat" was that I grew up with lots of different ethnic groups/races and lived played and went to school with them.

I remember coming back to Utah when my father was overseas and being shocked at how my grandparents and other relatives referred to non whites esp. Hispanics.
        I remember referring to kids as "the little nippers" and getting called out on it by a friend with a greater appreciation of the etymology of the term than I had.
        Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
        --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

Originally posted by SandYFan View Post
          Today I learned that not acting racist, even if you think that way, because of the negative social pressure against being racist, is not good enough.

Look, I get the ideal is that no one ever has a racist thought again, but as long as people look different, people will notice these differences.

If we are at a point where the vast majority of people will not ACT racist because society will react negatively, can't that be a win? Why do we have to complain about it?
          No that isn't a win. It is a move in the right direction, but it is like being ahead in the 1st quarter.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

I don't think you'll like a really long educative answer, so I'm not going to do it. I've probably said it before here anyway. But, I will say this: when you're part of the center, you don't get to tell the margins what they get to be happy/mad about.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              I don't think you'll like a really long educative answer, so I'm not going to do it. I've probably said it before here anyway. But, I will say this: when you're part of the center, you don't get to tell the margins what they get to be happy/mad about.
              I think that is an excellent point, truly I do. How do you feel about the margins telling the center how they should behave or think?

Comment

I think the point made in that blog is very insightful. It's a point I've tried to make from time to time. It's a difficult point to make or discuss. And it's easy to come across like an idiot or a racist when you bring it up.

I definitely agree with this concept of two layers of racism. The outward layer is actions, which is most harmful if we violate. ie using racist language, making a hiring decision based on race, etc. But there's another layer, discussed in the blog which has to do with our thoughts and perspective. These are the sum total of the stereotypes we've learned from external sources or tendencies that we've noticed empirically as we relate to different people in our life experience.

I can speak for myself in saying that I think I truly believe I do not commit any outward acts that are racist (or at least very few--and fairly innocuous ones). I'm pretty self aware and I know that's not how I want to act. I also know that stereotypes or preconceived notions, even if accurate, only describe probabilities or tendencies and each person is unique and can not and should not be judged that way.

As for the internal layer, I freely admit I have a lot of racist thoughts and perspectives bouncing around in my head. For example, if in a comedy movie a black guy is dropped in a pool and flounders around, it's funny to me because I have a preconditioned stereotype that black people are disproportionately poor swimmers compared to the general population. If I'm selling a car, and someone is ready to make an offer and they are an older, well dressed Asian male, I am bracing for a tough negotiation. I will do my best not to act outwardly in an offensive way. But these and thousands of other data points are bouncing around in our brains. I think it does nobody any good to pretend these thoughts don't exist and that only the outward actions should be discussed in terms of analyzing today's environment wrt racism.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  I think the point made in that blog is very insightful. It's a point I've tried to make from time to time. It's a difficult point to make or discuss. And it's easy to come across like an idiot or a racist when you bring it up.

I definitely agree with this concept of two layers of racism. The outward layer is actions, which is most harmful if we violate. ie using racist language, making a hiring decision based on race, etc. But there's another layer, discussed in the blog which has to do with our thoughts and perspective. These are the sum total of the stereotypes we've learned from external sources or tendencies that we've noticed empirically as we relate to different people in our life experience.

I can speak for myself in saying that I think I truly believe I do not commit any outward acts that are racist (or at least very few--and fairly innocuous ones). I'm pretty self aware and I know that's not how I want to act. I also know that stereotypes or preconceived notions, even if accurate, only describe probabilities or tendencies and each person is unique and can not and should not be judged that way.

As for the internal layer, I freely admit I have a lot of racist thoughts and perspectives bouncing around in my head. For example, if in a comedy movie a black guy is dropped in a pool and flounders around, it's funny to me because I have a preconditioned stereotype that black people are disproportionately poor swimmers compared to the general population. If I'm selling a car, and someone is ready to make an offer and they are an older, well dressed Asian male, I am bracing for a tough negotiation. I will do my best not to act outwardly in an offensive way. But these and thousands of other data points are bouncing around in our brains. I think it does nobody any good to pretend these thoughts don't exist and that only the outward actions should be discussed in terms of analyzing today's environment wrt racism.

I have thoughts that run through my head on occasion. I will stop and think, oh heck what would some liberal columnist, politician or educator think. Would they think I am racist? Then I think, what a bunch of jackasses they are. I am not racist and why do I even have to give this some thought when it is put into my head by like I said, a bunch of people whose thinking I consider assinine a lot of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                    I have thoughts that run through my head on occasion. I will stop and think, oh heck what would some liberal columnist, politician or educator think. Would they think I am racist? Then I think, what a bunch of jackasses they are. I am not racist and why do I even have to give this some thought when it is put into my head by like I said, a bunch of people whose thinking I consider assinine a lot of the time.
                    lol @ byu71 for obsessing about liberals.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I'm sure this link has been posted before, but here's an online test designed by Hahhhvaaad researchers that makes use of your reaction time in cognitively processing certain conceptual terms when paired with racial distractors. It's supposed to provide a useful measure of the degree of unconscious bias you may harbor.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

It's been a while since I took it, but the results were interesting and, in my case, unexpected.
                      Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
                      --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                        I'm sure this link has been posted before, but here's an online test designed by Hahhhvaaad researchers that makes use of your reaction time in cognitively processing certain conceptual terms when paired with racial distractors. It's supposed to provide a useful measure of the degree of unconscious bias you may harbor.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

It's been a while since I took it, but the results were interesting and, in my case, unexpected.
                        I went there and took a test about whether or not I hated vegetables.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          Racist.

EDIT: To clarify, I didn't tell anyone what to be happy/mad about. But you telling me I can't do something because of the color of my skin is, by very definition, racist.

Also: We will never, ever achieve a point where racism does not exist, either openly or in the hearts of people. Ever.
                          Last edited by SandYFan; 08-22-2013, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Murder. I'm not a fan. I hate it.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              Murder. I'm not a fan. I hate it.
                              Same here.

Comment

Racist.

EDIT: To clarify, I didn't tell anyone what to be happy/mad about. But you telling me I can't do something because of the color of my skin is, by very definition, racist.

Also: We will never, ever achieve a point where racism does not exist, either openly or in the hearts of people. Ever.
                                I'm talking about the center. If you moved somewhere where you were on the margins, you would not be the center. Think about it like this; you're Mormon. If you're in Utah, you rule. If you're in South Carolina, you're odd, Other, strange, weird. You don't believe in Jesus. You're going to hell. You can't get elected to public office. You often have issues with more centrist-thinking people about many things. If I move to Utah, I'm part of the crowd, and the Baptist is the fish out of water. If a Baptist is in Utah, I can't rightly tell them to get over their treatment, in the same way that a Baptist telling me something about how I should feel is going to get a string of vulgarity back from me. Race is but one margin. We can all be marginalized.

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                                I think that is an excellent point, truly I do. How do you feel about the margins telling the center how they should behave or think?
                                I rarely hear the margins calling for anything beyond equality, acceptance, and peace. There are exceptions like the Black Panthers, but they've gone the way of all armed rebellion without popular support.
                                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
                                X