No announcement yet.

Racism...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man, he's never going to make the Supreme Court now!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Oh man, he's never going to make the Supreme Court now!
      Oh yeah... his yearbook says like likes beer. He must be a rapist!
      Last edited by Uncle Ted; 02-02-2019, 11:43 AM.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Don Lemon doing an hour about how Northam has to resign because we can’t tolerate racism.

He plays the Access Hollywood tape of Trump with Billy Bush to make a point about how Northam is just like Trump? WTF?

CNN has lost their minds since Trump became POTUS. So weird!

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          CNN has lost their minds since Trump became POTUS. So weird!
          Not just CNN.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
            Not just CNN.
            It's really everybody.

As demonstrated in a series of new studies, researchers show that as the prevalence of a problem is reduced, humans are naturally inclined to redefine the problem itself. The result is that as a problem becomes smaller, people's conceptualizations of that problem become larger, which can lead them to miss the fact that they've solved it.
            Another way to say this is that solving problems causes us to expand our definitions of them," he said. "When problems become rare, we count more things as problems. Our studies suggest that when the world gets better, we become harsher critics of it, and this can cause us to mistakenly conclude that it hasn't actually gotten better at all. Progress, it seems, tends to mask itself.

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
              It's really everybody.
              Ha! You just perfectly described my job.

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                It's really everybody.
                That is absolutely fascinating! Love their examples:

"We had volunteers look at thousands of dots on a computer screen one at a time and decide if each was or was not blue," Gilbert said. "When we lowered the prevalence of blue dots, and what we found was that our participants began to classify as blue dots they had previously classified as purple."

Even when participants were warned to be on the lookout for the phenomenon, and even when they were offered money not to let it happen, the results showed they continued to alter their definitions of blue.

Another experiment showed similar results using faces. When the prevalence of threatening faces was reduced, people began to identify neutral faces as threatening.

Perhaps the most socially relevant of the studies described in the paper, Gilbert said, involved participants acting as members of an institutional review board, the committee that reviews research methodology to ensure that scientific studies are ethical.

"We asked participants to review proposals for studies that varied from highly ethical to highly unethical," he said. "Over time, we lowered the prevalence of unethical studies, and sure enough, when we did that, our participants started to identify innocuous studies as unethical."

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                  That is absolutely fascinating! Love their examples:
                  The conclusion is worrisome.

"Anyone whose job involves reducing the prevalence of something should know that it isn't always easy to tell when their work is done," he said. "On the other hand, our studies suggest that simply being aware of this problem is not sufficient to prevent it. What can prevent it? No one yet knows. That's what the phrase 'more research is needed' was invented for."

Comment

And in a similar vein, it just keeps getting better.

Comment

• Would somebody more sensitive than me about racial issues please explain how this comic is racist or misogynist? I get the snark, but that is kinda the whole point of comics, isn't it?

Bottomliners with stupid comment.jpg
                      “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                        Would somebody more sensitive than me about racial issues please explain how this comic is racist or misogynist? I get the snark, but that is kinda the whole point of comics, isn't it?

[ATTACH]10243[/ATTACH]
                        she's black (part?) and a woman so you can't make jokes about her. i don't know - people are crazy.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

Would somebody more sensitive than me about racial issues please explain how this comic is racist or misogynist? I get the snark, but that is kinda the whole point of comics, isn't it?

[ATTACH]10243[/ATTACH]
                          Critical Race Theory. Problematize.

https://newdiscourses.com/tftw-problematize/

There is more explanation in this whole thread, but this is the key concept.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                            Critical Race Theory. Problematize.

https://newdiscourses.com/tftw-problematize/

There is more explanation in this whole thread, but this is the key concept.

That is too much mental gymnastics for this country boy. (I can claim that, being raised in Fruita, Colorado)
                            “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

That is too much mental gymnastics for this country boy. (I can claim that, being raised in Fruita, Colorado)
                              The mental gymnastics in some sense is the whole point--as it is in many religions, including the one I currently participate in. Start with the assumption that racism and sexism underlay every institution, then the only task that remains is to discover how racism was manifest. That's what 'woke' generally means. To be awakened to this fact. You can then see racism everywhere, which just serves to obfuscate real racism and makes it impossible to confront directly. A clerical class is required to help lay people understand how racism permeates each unique situation. Only oppressed classes qualify to perform as clerics, and it is an act of oppression to ask them to clarify.

Take the same thought process and ask the question, "How does the will of God manifest itself in every situation?" It starts with assumption that God exists and is active in every moment, which eventually leads to the need of a clerical class to interpret the world.

In case it's not clear, I don't subscribe to this philosophy applied to race, sex, or religion. Applying a "critical" lens to everything is just a status play that results in power to the clerics. Priestcraft. Critical methods do have utility, but are only useful to tear things apart.

Comment

• If you're willing to spend 35 minutes to better understand racism, here's a good video on the subject that really got me thinking. I'm trying hard to not be racist, but a few areas were pointed out that need some work. Worth the time.

Former Secretary of Labor Robert Reich sits down with writer, author, and poet Clint Smith, who puts the ongoing protests against centuries of systemic racism and police killings into historical context.

Comment

Working...
                                X