Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you know this streams on Amazon Instant Video?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    I liked Mad Men. But just kind of stopped watching after two or three seasons. Can't remember exactly why.
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Because it got boring.
    It's definitely a slow burn at times, though I disagree that it ever got boring. I do so loathe Megan and I maintain that she was a net negative, both as a character and as she affects Don's story. But the overarching plot arc and the development of the characters is second to none, IMO. Still, even if you only liked the first 2-3 seasons of MM, I think you'll like the Romanoffs.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Because it got boring.
      That might have been it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        OK, I'm going to take a shot at Romanoffs. Don't let me down, guys.
        I’m glad I watched it. Even though maybe only 3 of them were very good it’s worth watching all of them just for those 3.

Comment

• anybody that doesn’t like mad men is a tasteless moron sjbh.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            I’m glad I watched it. Even though maybe only 3 of them were very good it’s worth watching all of them just for those 3.
            I’d go with 3 great, 2 very good, 2 good, and 1 just ok.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              anybody that doesn’t like mad men is a tasteless moron sjbh.
              I watched every season. The last one sucked.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                I watched every season. The last one sucked.
                I disagree. The last season had some fantastic, memorable and sad moments. Lou Avery doing Scouts Honor comics. Ginsburg cutting off his nipples and giving them to Peggy. Betty getting cancer and not wanting the kids to stay with Don. Roger trying to get his daughter to leave a hippie commune. Bert's song after dying. Don and Peggy dancing. Don racing cars in Utah.

The last season also gave us this:

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  I disagree. The last season had some fantastic, memorable and sad moments. Lou Avery doing Scouts Honor comics. Ginsburg cutting off his nipples and giving them to Peggy. Betty getting cancer and not wanting the kids to stay with Don. Roger trying to get his daughter to leave a hippie commune. Bert's song after dying. Don and Peggy dancing. Don racing cars in Utah.

The last season also gave us this:

plus the best moment of the whole show, peggy roller skating while roger plays the organ

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    plus the best moment of the whole show, peggy roller skating while roger plays the organ
                    That was good. My favorite moment

Comment

• Fleabag is soooooo good. Treat yourself and watch it. There's only 2 seasons with 6 30-minute episodes each. Wish there were more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        It's definitely a slow burn at times, though I disagree that it ever got boring. I do so loathe Megan and I maintain that she was a net negative, both as a character and as she affects Don's story. But the overarching plot arc and the development of the characters is second to none, IMO. Still, even if you only liked the first 2-3 seasons of MM, I think you'll like the Romanoffs.
                        But we did get the Zou Bisou Bisou performance out of her, so there's that.

I disagree that MM never got bad. The last season was pretty bad, IMO.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• I have been watching “Cheers” over the past month. It is still funny and brings back a lot of memories.. such good writing and acting. Those first season were great with Sam and Diane and now the introduction of Frazier.

I watched this show with my Dad growing up. We would watch the re-runs too. I can still hear his belly of a laughter as I crack myself. I have begun to watch it with my son in hopes of him having similar memories when I am gone.

Listening to the theme song kinda pulls on my heartstrings a little and allows me to take a moment and close my eyes and look back in memories I had forgotten.

Such a great show to make you smile and forget all the stress of life for a few 30 minutes. Sometimes enjoying an old show can be nostalgic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Did you know this streams on Amazon Instant Video?

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                            I disagree that MM never got bad. The last season was pretty bad, IMO.
                            I've been rewatching the entire series, and I'm presently halfway through season 7. I think the "Season 7 was bad" take is something people say because 1) Season 7 wasn't quite as good as some of the other Mad Men seasons, and because 2) people feel like it's an accurate take because they've heard many other MM watchers say the same thing. In fact, I have said it before, and I would have said it 2 months ago before I started rewatching. But it's a misnomer. Season 7 is good TV.

Season 7 gives us some great story lines and introduces some fun characters: Don on the outs, providing work through freelancing Freddy; Lou Avery as one of the biggest assholes the series has seen (which is saying something); Don erasing all of his partnership leverage and taking a crappy deal just to get back to work; Peggy as Don's boss; the entire BurgerChef courtship and campaign; Bertram Cooper's timely demise; Pete Campbell managing, yet again, to bag one of the hottest characters on the show (over the course of the series, Pete gets with 3 of the 6 hottest women in the entire series. He subsequently marries one of them in real life, btw); Don getting the scoop from a drunk Harry Crane about a meeting with Phillip Morris, and then crashing the meeting; Henry going off on Betty because she has the gall to have a political opinion other than his (and revealing himself as a true, two-faces politician); Jim Cutler attempting a coup (and failing); Harry Crane getting overzealous in his partnership negotiations and missing out on millions of dollars; Don and Megan finally ending it (finally--in fact, the biggest blight on Season 7 is that Megan is still around for it. Unacceptable.). I could go on, and that's just through the first half of the season.

By the time Season 7 rolled around (2014), we had been spoiled by Breaking Bad and its meteoric rise. In fact, most people (myself included) really discovered BB when it was already 2-3 seasons in, and then followed it until it concluded (2013). After that, it was a long wait for Season 7 of Mad Men, and when we finally got it, it seemed a bit anticlimactic in comparison. The timing of the two AMC shows' conclusions made it impossible not to compare them. This comparison resulted in the promulgation of the "Season 7 was bad" theory, which was then proliferated just because. 5 years removed, Season 7 holds up just fine. While maybe it's not quite as good as some of Mad Men's best seasons, it's still better than the best seasons of most other TV shows. Plus, Season 7 gave us Bobby Draper as a BYU fan. What more do you want?

Last edited by Donuthole; 06-06-2019, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• good analysis. although, pete’s 3/6 stat comes with the asterisk that he banged peggy so he doesn’t get full credit for the others

Comment

• I'm glad you were entertained.

I thought it was a snoozefest. Even the way it ended (with Don creating the largest ad success in the history of TV by buying the world a Coke) was (a) super predictable (in fact, didn't you call it months before the finale?), and (b) not particularly creative. The whole series we saw a silhouette of Don tumbling toward the ground. If Don is simply going to run the best ad campaign ever, they should have included a shadow of a giant trampoline on Madison Ave. that popped him back up to the penthouse where his shadow landed perfectly on its feet.

But maybe you're right on timing. I'm running low on good shows to binge, so maybe I'll have to hit up MM again to test your hypothesis.
                                Last edited by Green Monstah; 06-06-2019, 10:13 AM.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X