Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Did you know this streams on Amazon Instant Video?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I checked this out last night. I thought it was boring until they started the part about his family back in Utah. That kid's poor parents. Wow. His father is a saint.

The big reveal made me laugh: street people are mentally ill! Yeah. Who knew?
    Yep the poor parents of this kid.

Clearly Dylan isn’t entirely to blame for this because of his mental illness but he was such a good example of how mental illness makes a person supremely self-centered. He puts his family through hell and all he can talk about is how he is judged unfairly by Mormons. He doesn’t respect his family enough not to curse in their home but then wants everybody to bend over backward to accommodate him.

Agreed it wasn’t interesting until the Utah part and maybe only interesting (and only successful st Sundance) because of the Utah angle.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Yep the poor parents of this kid.

Clearly Dylan isn’t entirely to blame for this because of his mental illness but he was such a good example of how mental illness makes a person supremely self-centered. He puts his family through hell and all he can talk about is how he is judged unfairly by Mormons. He doesn’t respect his family enough not to curse in their home but then wants everybody to bend over backward to accommodate him.

Agreed it wasn’t interesting until the Utah part and maybe only interesting (and only successful st Sundance) because of the Utah angle.
    Yep.

His trashing of the church bugged the hell out of me given the circumstances, but the documentary ended up making Mormons look like wonderful people. His family bent over backwards to forgive him and love him in spite of all the heartache he created. Even the 85-yr-old grandma was nothing but kindness and love when he came home, in spite of his drugs, tats, alcohol, smoking, foul mouth, etc.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Started Friday Night Lights for the 2nd time again a few weeks ago. What a good show. Great characters, great character development, horrible football. Lol. But a fantastic show.

Everything in the Song is True. Fantastic little doc about modern cowboy life, including some outstanding cowboy poetry and music.

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-So...e+song+is+true
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Default Did you know this streams on Amazon Instant Video?

Amazon Prime’s “Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan” is intense! First 2 episodes have been awesome!

UPDATE: Just finished Episode 6. Holly Crap!! Fantastic!! Edge of your seat intense!! Will be up at least another hour trying to relax!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dabrockster; 09-01-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure with the fam last night. Still holds up. My kids all thought it was hilarious.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure with the fam last night. Still holds up. My kids all thought it was hilarious.
    I made my kids watch that last year. Then they put a Circle K in by my house. Now everyone we drive past the Circle K someone undoubtedly quotes the movie.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Can I have your kids? Mine never realized the greatness of Bill & Ted

Fasting - recommended (and featuring appearances) by Jason Fung (author of The Obeisity Code). Has some Mormon Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saint representation, too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPTTVG1..._tyrnBbSVSCP21
    Last edited by Pelado; 09-11-2018 at 11:53 AM.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Jack Ryan - don’t recommend. I forced myself to watch three episodes while trying to convince myself it will get better. It hasn’t. It’s poorly written, poorly acted and just seems very low budget. It’s also less compelling than 95% of other shoes out there. There’s also no real hot chick. Disappointing.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Jack Ryan - don’t recommend. I forced myself to watch three episodes while trying to convince myself it will get better. It hasn’t. It’s poorly written, poorly acted and just seems very low budget. It’s also less compelling than 95% of other shoes out there. There’s also no real hot chick. Disappointing.
    I am liking it
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I watched the whole thing. I liked him in "13 Hours" but don't think Jim Halpert works as Jack Ryan. They are trying too hard for his "self-righteous" attributes - kind of grating.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    I watched the whole thing. I liked him in "13 Hours" but don't think Jim Halpert works as Jack Ryan. They are trying too hard for his "self-righteous" attributes - kind of grating.
    Worried about that too.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

The Man in the High Castle starts tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Finished season 3 of Man in the High Castle. I liked it.

For those of you who are watching, this season continued the great acting and cinematography. There are a few plot lines that got lost in the weeds, and the overall story still takes a good deal of suspended belief. Still, it's very well done. But I'm not sure where all this redemption of Kido and John Smith is going to end. Kido especially is a terrible person. I mean, he has to die in the end, right?

Watched the first episode of The Romanoffs. Critics have largely disliked it, but I enjoyed episode 1, maybe because it was set in Paris and having just been there I enjoyed that feeling of “hey, I was standing right there” as they cruise around the city. Each episode will feature a different cast and setting. Episode 1 featured BYU’s own Aaron Eckhart. Not sure if he had any say in the writing, but there was a scene where he mentions his mother getting “sucked into Mormonism” after his father died and that she “mostly uses it as a way to show that she’s better than everybody else.”

Just finished Man in the High Castle. It started a little slow and picked up. You have to be patient with this season.

Kids is a narcissistic SOB. I hope he dies and may it be an agonizing death..

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    Just finished Man in the High Castle. It started a little slow and picked up. You have to be patient with this season.

I may have to watch this. They filmed one of the episodes in the alabama hills, just 40 minutes from my house.

Ironman was also filmed there as well as the best movie ever, Tremors.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    I may have to watch this. They filmed one of the episodes in the alabama hills, just 40 minutes from my house.

Whoah.. This location plays a major role in one of the episodes. It is hard not to forget the scene..

Whoah.. This location plays a major role in one of the episodes. It is hard not to forget the scene..

The local newspaper ran a full page article today about the filming. It looked interesting.

Tremors was a documentary, filmed in Perfection, Nevada. Not far from Bixby.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Wait. You mean those creatures are real?!

my kids and I went out there at spring break to see where these momentous events occurred.

It was fun climbing on these specific rocks. unfortunately the poles were not there.

my kids and I went out there at spring break to see where these momentous events occurred.

It was fun climbing on these specific rocks. unfortunately the poles were not there.
    Man in the High Castle, only 2 degrees of separation!

I'd love to bring home some of the pleistocene alluvials to keep in my office.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

The Romanoffs episode 3 came out Friday and I saw about half of it a couple nights ago (they're like 1 hour 20 min so, yeah, tough to watch in one sitting). I'm nearly certain that whoever wrote the episode was heavily influenced by the 2016 novel "We Eat Our Own". I did a google search and can find no evidence of admitting that influence with writing credits or "based on" credits. Perhaps so few people read that book that it was unnecessary to give credit to or pay the author for incorporating significant ideas from her work?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Watched the first episode of The Romanoffs. Critics have largely disliked it, but I enjoyed episode 1, maybe because it was set in Paris and having just been there I enjoyed that feeling of “hey, I was standing right there” as they cruise around the city. Each episode will feature a different cast and setting. Episode 1 featured BYU’s own Aaron Eckhart. Not sure if he had any say in the writing, but there was a scene where he mentions his mother getting “sucked into Mormonism” after his father died and that she “mostly uses it as a way to show that she’s better than everybody else.”
    I watched and enjoyed episode 1 with Aaron. My wife only made it to the part when Aaron's Parisian girlfriend drops a few f-bombs. Then we tried The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel but she opted out at the first sign of nudie boobies in the (first?) burlesque scene. We also started watching Survivor with Pierce Brosnan and Milla Jovovich. But when the soldier got lit on fire in the first scene, she was done with that, too. Then I turned on Hang Em High, purportedly Clint Eastwood's first feature film. She didn't care much for the early hanging scene but fell asleep on the couch without demanding a change in the show.

I didn't find the first couple of episodes particularly compelling. I didn't review any prior seasons before starting Season 3 and felt like I must have missed something. The final episodes of the series had some decent content, but I was still kind of surprised that the season was already over. Much less satisfying than the previous two seasons.
    - Goatnapper'96

I didn't review any prior seasons before starting Season 3 and felt like I must have missed something. The final episodes of the series had some decent content, but I was still kind of surprised that the season was already over. Much less satisfying than the previous two seasons.
    I agree. It was slow the first few episodes and I didn't enjoy it as much as the other seasons. It seemed like it got stuck in the weeds for awhile, especially with the Childan character. He seems like a peripheral character but he has a lot of screen time. But this season still had some really good acting and great scenes. I thought the contrast between Frink's bar mitzvah and Smith's coronation was done very well. And the scene with Frink and Kido in the desert was riveting.

I watched and enjoyed episode 1 with Aaron.
    Wow, I didn't know you guys were close.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Wow, I didn't know you guys were close.
    Very close.
    - Goatnapper'96