Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 199

Thread: Official FIFA 2018 Russia World Cup

  1. #31
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post
    Won lottery for USA tickets v Mexico.

    Bought my allowed allotment.
    I'm quite jealous. Have a great time. Biggest USAvMEX match since the round of 16 in 2002.

  2. #32
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    14,564

    Default

    I went to the USA vs Mexico friendly a while back- it was great. Far more Mexicans in the stadium than USA, though. And a curious contingent of dipshits in Brazil jerseys, curiously enough.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  3. #33
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    Two huge games for US Soccer on Saturday. Obviously there is the playoff game against Mexico in the Rose Bowl for a berth in the 2017 Confederations Cup. The U-23 Men also play in the semifinal of the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament against Honduras. Winner goes to Rio in 2016. This is an important step after the embarrassment of not qualifying 4 years ago.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    1-1 with Mexico in the 19th minute. Laser pointers have already made an appearance. I really want this game.

  5. #35
    Operation Hot Mother Parrot Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Southern Part of Heaven
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    Whoa!!!!! Way to stay in it and tie it up!
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parrot Head View Post
    Whoa!!!!! Way to stay in it and tie it up!
    I was about to post we were out od gas and it would take a miracle to get the equalizer. Wood stabs that one home and the momentum of the match has completely flipped.

  7. #37

    Default

    Stupid.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  8. #38
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    Shit. What a strike by Aguilar. Excuse me while I puke.

  9. #39
    Operation Hot Mother Parrot Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Southern Part of Heaven
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    That was a nice strike. I didn't start watching until about min 75, but Mexico absolutely controlled the ball except for that stretch when Wood scored. We got desperate and took over, but then couldn't continue.
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

  10. #40

    Default

    That was the coolest sporting event I've watched in person.

    Now save the I haven't seen cool stuff, I have much better than most.

    The constant screaming, the fights, the beer showers, the public urination, the open homophobia and racism, insanely fun night.

    The RB was turned into Tijuana for a couple of hours.

  11. #41
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post
    That was the coolest sporting event I've watched in person.

    Now save the I haven't seen cool stuff, I have much better than most.

    The constant screaming, the fights, the beer showers, the public urination, the open homophobia and racism, insanely fun night.

    The RB was turned into Tijuana for a couple of hours.
    I don't doubt it and I am very jealous apart from enduring that result in person.

  12. #42
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    Well I'm starting to get a little nervous about the state of US Soccer. After a very promising WC in Brazil, this year has been largely disappointing. Bombing out of the Gold Cup doesn't look like as much of an aberration now that we were largely by Mexico in the playoff game on Saturday. Jurgen doesn't com off well sending home Fabian Johnson after the game and basically calling him out publicly for being soft and wanting to sub out at the end of the Mexico game. No surprise that we lost 0-1 to Costa Rica tonight. The team seems to be in disarray. I have largely trusted Jurgen's roster decisions during his tenure. He has found and developed some great players and I feel like we are more loaded with raw talent than we have been in a while. But if the performance trend of this year continues, we are headed for a disappointing World Cup cycle.

    The U-23 also lost in the semis, but managed to beat Canada 2-0 tonight in the 3rd place game of Olympic qualifying. This means they have to beat Colombia in a play-in game to make the Olympics. I'm not very optimistic.

  13. #43

    Default

    We played over our heads in the last World Cup. We're not top 20 in the world.

  14. #44
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    We look awful tonight. 40 year old Guatemalans are shredding our back line. Inexcusable.

  15. #45
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    We played over our heads in the last World Cup. We're not top 20 in the world.
    Just saw this. I disagree. I happen to think we underperformed given the path we had in the knockout rounds. We have made it out of group play in 3 of the last 4 cups. You don't do that if you aren't top 20.

    That said, we barely look top 40 right now. Things aren't right.

  16. #46
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    Better result tonight. 4-0 plastering of Guatemala at home puts us back at 2nd in the group. Should move on to the final round fairly easily now but it shouldn't have been this stressful.
    Last edited by Omaha 680; 03-30-2016 at 06:02 AM.

  17. #47
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    Second to last matches of this stage were today. USA rolls against St. Vincent as expected. A loss by Guatemala would have put us through to the Hexagonal. Unfortunately they managed a draw by scoring in the 86th mminute. Final matches are on Tuesday and we play Trinidad and Tobago in Jacksonville.

    Win or draw and we are through at the top of the group. A loss combined with an expected win by Guatemala over St. Vincent would go to goal differential tie breaker. Our GD is currently 12 better than Guatemala so the chances of an extremely embarrassing crash out of the world Cup this stage are very small. But it we are not supposed to wait until the last day of this stage to go through.

  18. #48
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    A lot of Americans should be happy with this. I think it's garbage.

    http://www.espnfc.com/blog-fifa/stor...cup-on-tuesday

    Expanding the World Cup Final Tournament to 48 teams. 16 groups of 3. Two from each group advance. What is the friggin' point of the group stage if 2/3 of the teams advance?

  19. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    A lot of Americans should be happy with this. I think it's garbage.

    http://www.espnfc.com/blog-fifa/stor...cup-on-tuesday

    Expanding the World Cup Final Tournament to 48 teams. 16 groups of 3. Two from each group advance. What is the friggin' point of the group stage if 2/3 of the teams advance?
    Not a terrible idea to go from 32 to 48 teams, but I see a bigger problem as taking the knockout round from 16 to 32. Too high of a chance for favorites to lose along the way in a format like that. When the favorite of a tournament goes in with a small chance to win the championship, that's just a weird format.

    Also, they didn't need high priced consultants to tell them it was a bad idea to have everyone play at the same time. That's one of the dumbest things about soccer I've never understood. Even Champions League. You have 8 games in a day with all the biggest clubs in Europe playing. Ratings bonanza for TV. And you play them all at the same time? What the...? Do they even want to make money?
    Last edited by jay santos; 01-09-2017 at 09:54 AM.

  20. #50
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Not a terrible idea to go from 32 to 48 teams, but I see a bigger problem as taking the knockout round from 16 to 32. Too high of a chance for favorites to lose along the way in a format like that. When the favorite of a tournament goes in with a small chance to win the championship, that's just a weird format.

    Also, they didn't need high priced consultants to tell them it was a bad idea to have everyone play at the same time. That's one of the dumbest things about soccer I've never understood. Even Champions League. You have 8 games in a day with all the biggest clubs in Europe playing. Ratings bonanza for TV. And you play them all at the same time? What the...? Do they even want to make money?
    If you are looking at it just from a $ perspective then your post is correct. But if you are worried about overall quality and rewarding performance it is dumb. The group stage will now be complete garbage with zero drama. The first round of the knockout stage will be as big as the current tournament, meaning half the games will be foregone conclusions and absolute blowout bloodbaths. Some favorite may lose in the round of 32 every so often, but overwhelmingly it will be the Germanys destroying the Algerias of the world.

    On simultaneous play: the world cup tournament only does simultaneous games on the last days of group stages to avoid giving an advantage to one team. As long as tiebreakers are going to be GD and goals scored, you can't have one team play before the other when they are fighting for a spot in the knockout round. But maybe they can just do away with those tie breakers and give the spot to the team with the biggest TV ratings.

  21. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    If you are looking at it just from a $ perspective then your post is correct. But if you are worried about overall quality and rewarding performance it is dumb. The group stage will now be complete garbage with zero drama. The first round of the knockout stage will be as big as the current tournament, meaning half the games will be foregone conclusions and absolute blowout bloodbaths. Some favorite may lose in the round of 32 every so often, but overwhelmingly it will be the Germanys destroying the Algerias of the world.

    On simultaneous play: the world cup tournament only does simultaneous games on the last days of group stages to avoid giving an advantage to one team. As long as tiebreakers are going to be GD and goals scored, you can't have one team play before the other when they are fighting for a spot in the knockout round. But maybe they can just do away with those tie breakers and give the spot to the team with the biggest TV ratings.
    No, I'm against adding a round to knockouts. I'd keep it at 16. I might add more teams to the tournament, but still keep it to 16 for the knockout round. I agree, 16 groups of 3 moving to a knockout round of 32 is a bad idea.

  22. #52

    Default

    The US is in real danger right now of not even making it to 2018.

  23. #53
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    The US is in real danger right now of not even making it to 2018.
    On paper looking at the current table, yes. In reality, no. We had 2 of the 3 most difficult matches in the Hex to start out. Losing both and getting pummeled on GD in Costa Rica was a horrible start but not fatal. The only likely loss left is in El Azteca. Throw in a draw vs. CR at home and a random draw against one of the other teams on the road and we still qualify comfortably. The good thing about switching to Arena is he will rally the troops, go back to the old style, and grind out the qualifying results we need. The bad news is the experiment is over and we will continue to be what we have been for almost 25 years: lock to qualify, good/great chance to get out of group stage, not much hope to go any farther.

  24. #54
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    I was curious so I went back and looked at the average points for the lowest CONCACAF qualifiers over the last 4 cycles. Third place averaged 16 points and fourth place (play-in spot) averaged 13.5 points. If we win the rest of our home games except CR, draw CR, and draw the rest of our road games we get to 14 points. Exchange one of the draws for a win and we get to 16. So yeah another loss at home would be a disaster, but if we win the games we are expected to and manage a win against CR or any road game we will be fine. I won't hit the panic button unless we fail to take care of business in the March games.

  25. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I was curious so I went back and looked at the average points for the lowest CONCACAF qualifiers over the last 4 cycles. Third place averaged 16 points and fourth place (play-in spot) averaged 13.5 points. If we win the rest of our home games except CR, draw CR, and draw the rest of our road games we get to 14 points. Exchange one of the draws for a win and we get to 16. So yeah another loss at home would be a disaster, but if we win the games we are expected to and manage a win against CR or any road game we will be fine. I won't hit the panic button unless we fail to take care of business in the March games.
    Qualifying in a weak region has its benefits. The US would be sunk right now if they had to qualify through S. America or a European group.

  26. #56
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    Huge games on Friday and Tuesday for the US. It has been a while since our backs have been against the wall like this in qualifying. Anything less than 3 points against Honduras would be a disaster. They really need to get the win @Panama on Tuesday as well to make me comfortable. But 4 points at the end of March would make me feel a bit better.

  27. #57
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    8,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Huge games on Friday and Tuesday for the US. It has been a while since our backs have been against the wall like this in qualifying. Anything less than 3 points against Honduras would be a disaster. They really need to get the win @Panama on Tuesday as well to make me comfortable. But 4 points at the end of March would make me feel a bit better.
    I heard a score on the radio the other day that I thought might be for soccer. I think they said the US had lost to Costa Rica or something.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  28. #58
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    26,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    I heard a score on the radio the other day that I thought might be for soccer. I think they said the US had lost to Costa Rica or something.
    World baseball classic
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  29. #59
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    What a start. I'm loving this attacking lineup.

  30. #60

    Default

    3-0... Even Bradley and Dempsey getting in on the action!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •