Official FIFA 2018 Russia World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    well that should not happen, the correct restart is an IFK.
    Which leads us back to one of the false claims of why club soccer costs so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      Which leads us back to one of the false claims of why club soccer costs so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
        Yeah. Kids neck muscles aren't developed enough to safely head a soccer ball. There are some 10 year olds out there with pretty strong legs.

Im all for minimizing head injury risk. Watching my daughter in HS head the ball makes me cringe.
        I certainly won't argue with you about physiology, but I have a couple of questions.

First, aren't most youth head injuries in soccer caused by head-to-head collisions? One of my soccer recollections involved my son, who was 14 at the time, taking a direct head shot from his coach, a former professional soccer player. When I took my son for examination, the physician said there is little risk of injury because a soccer ball is compressed air and not solid or reasonably solid such as a baseball.

Second, I've see a good number of U-10s who are physically fit and capable of using correct form to head the ball, and in fact enjoy doing it. I suppose if you are speaking about redirection or whipping the ball, many will lack the muscular development but for straight on headers, do you believe that? Most younger players work first on straight on headers, before they learn to whip or redirect.
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
          I certainly won't argue with you about physiology, but I have a couple of questions.

First, aren't most youth head injuries in soccer caused by head-to-head collisions? One of my soccer recollections involved my son, who was 14 at the time, taking a direct head shot from his coach, a former professional soccer player. When I took my son for examination, the physician said there is little risk of injury because a soccer ball is compressed air and not solid or reasonably solid such as a baseball.

Second, I've see a good number of U-10s who are physically fit and capable of using correct form to head the ball, and in fact enjoy doing it. I suppose if you are speaking about redirection or whipping the ball, many will lack the muscular development but for straight on headers, do you believe that? Most younger players work first on straight on headers, before they learn to whip or redirect.
          I've had a concussion from a soccer ball. Compressed air or not, it sure felt like a rock when it hit me straight in the face.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
            I've had a concussion from a soccer ball. Compressed air or not, it sure felt like a rock when it hit me straight in the face.
            Also, doesn't some of the CTE research point to the possibility that the more common problem isn't necessarily the knockout type of concussions (although obviously it's bad to get many of those) but the accumulation of "sub-concussive" over a career? I also remember reading that researchers showed that heading of a soccer ball easily falls into the sub-concussive range they are worried about. I obviously could be getting this all wrong.

Comment

• Jack hammers are only compressed air, too.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                Also, doesn't some of the CTE research point to the possibility that the more common problem isn't necessarily the knockout type of concussions (although obviously it's bad to get many of those) but the accumulation of "sub-concussive" over a career? I also remember reading that researchers showed that heading of a soccer ball easily falls into the sub-concussive range they are worried about. I obviously could be getting this all wrong.
                Yeah, but this is Topper's entertainment we're talking about.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                  Yes. It is the repetitive sub-concussion level injury that is concerning. Right now all the focus is on football but any sport is potentially at risk. Football coaches work on correct tackling technique and neck strengthening as a precaution. The nephew of my sons HS coach has presented some data on this to the NFL. The only demonstrable concussion I ever had was from basketball. Up to that point I had played more football and rugby combined without a known concussion.
                  "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                    Yes. It is the repetitive sub-concussion level injury that is concerning. Right now all the focus is on football but any sport is potentially at risk. Football coaches work on correct tackling technique and neck strengthening as a precaution. The nephew of my sons HS coach has presented some data on this to the NFL. The only demonstrable concussion I ever had was from basketball. Up to that point I had played more football and rugby combined without a known concussion.
                    I don't know how the literature defines this. The wording makes it sound like being the object of a punching bag, not the occasional header one sees on the soccer field. Whether soccer players are at risk, I don't know, but I do know the rest of the world isn't concerned that this is an issue, or at least aren't taking precautions by limiting the age of youth practicing headers, or at least not yet. The truth is that many youth below U-8 can barely get the ball off the ground so that a header could be a concern. A lot of U-10 can't either.
                    Last edited by Topper; 10-12-2017, 05:11 PM.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I don't know how the literature defines this. The wording makes it sound like being the object of a punching bag, not the occasional header one sees on the soccer field. Whether soccer players are at risk, I don't know, but I do know the rest of the world isn't concerned that this is an issue, or at least aren't taking precautions by limiting the age of youth practicing headers, or at least not yet. The truth is that many youth below U-8 can barely get the ball off the ground so that a header could be a concern. A lot of U-10 can't either.
                      You'll be happy to know it is banned at U12 as well.

Comment

You'll be happy to know it is banned at U12 as well.
                        Where? Not in New York.

Comment

Where? Not in New York.
                          Here's the "suggested" rule from US Soccer. Looks like U12 kids can head the ball, but are limited to how much they can practice headers.

The Federation is recommending, and US Club Soccer is requiring immediately, new rules as it relates to heading, as follows:

Players in U-11 programs and younger shall not engage in heading, either in practices or in games.

Limited heading in practice for players in U-12 and U-13 programs. More specifically, these players shall be limited to a maximum of 30 minutes of heading training per week, with no more than 15-20 headers per player, per week.

Clubs should be aware of circumstances in which individual consideration is needed. For example:

A 10 year old playing at U-12 or older should not head the ball at all.

An 11 or 12 year old playing at U-14 or older should abide by the heading restrictions in practice.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Where? Not in New York.
                            AYSO here in CA.

Comment

AYSO here in CA.
                              Is that competitive soccer? I am not familiar with that league.

Falafel quoted the rule as I understand it.

Comment

Is that competitive soccer? I am not familiar with that league.

Falafel quoted the rule as I understand it.
                                Not familiar with AYSO?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X