Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many times have you held the brass ring?

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

Default How many times have you held the brass ring?

I feel blessed when it comes to sports teams’ success. Here are the teams with which I’m personally closely associated through some important aspect of my life history that while I was a fan finished a season winning and attaining the highest level of achievement or recognition available to it.

Utah Stars ABA Champions (1971).

Georgetown basketball NCAA champions (1984).

University of Utah football (2004): 13-0, Fiesta Bowl Champions, no. 4 AP poll.

University of Utah football (2008): 13-0, Sugar Bowl Champions, no. 1 BCS computer, no. 1 ELO Chess Computer, no. 2 AP Poll.

Seattle Seahawks (2013): Super Bowl Champions.

Georgetown in 1985 and Utah in 1998 played for the NCAA basketball championship and lost. Utah’s 1998 Final Four and hard fought loss to Kentucky in the title game was the most satisfying and enjoyable experience I ever had as a fan. GU went to the Final Four in 2007, which was nice. But last Sunday sure was a blast watching that with my family.

I have a lot to be thankful for as a fan.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Can't wait until BoylenOver/Redbird shows up. He rather miraculously has one of his teams competing for a championship in at least one sport every single year.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

I am happy for you, SU.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    How many times have you held the brass ring?
    Take the masturbation euphemisms to the BYU-I thread, please?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

ELO Chess Computer
    So that's what makes that noise at the beginning of "Telephone Line."
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

I feel blessed when it comes to sports teams’ success. Here are the teams with which I’m personally closely associated through some important aspect of my life history that while I was a fan finished a season winning and attaining the highest level of achievement or recognition available to it.

University of Utah football (2008): 13-0, Sugar Bowl Champions, no. 1 BCS computer, no. 1 ELO Chess Computer, no. 2 AP Poll.

Georgetown in 1985 and Utah in 1998 played for the NCAA basketball championship and lost. Utah’s 1998 Final Four and hard fought loss to Kentucky in the title game was the most satisfying and enjoyable experience I ever had as a fan. GU went to the Final Four in 2007, which was nice. But last Sunday sure was a blast watching that with my family.

Much like the higher ups at Fox, you're a sexist pig.

http://tracking.si.com/2014/02/04/se...age/?eref=sihp
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Zero.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

So many times that I don't go to the parades anymore or ask someone else how many times they have.

Had SeattleUte attended Georgetown by 1984? Also, he had previously admitted that in 3 years of law school there, he only went to 6 basketball games.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Zero.
    The good folks at BYU-I salute you.

Zero.
    If the Jazz would play Alec Burks 35-40 minutes a night you'd only be a handful of months away.

I have never held the brass ring. I am not a professional athlete, nor was I a college athlete.

Teams I follow have won:

BYU - 1984 National Champions

LA Dodgers - 1988 World Series Champs

LA Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions

Seattle Seahawks - 2014 Super Bowl Champions

But alas...never I.
    Last edited by The_Tick; 02-04-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Lakers 10 times in my memory (16 overall)
    BYU - once
    Chicago Blackhawks twice in my memory
    Dodgers once in my memory
    My NFL fan loyalty is so weak that I can't really claim a championship even though as a kid I did root for the Broncos and Elway who as two
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    I have never held the brass ring. I am not a professional athlete, nor was I a college athlete.

Teams I follow have won:

BYU - 1984 National Champions

LA Dodgers - 1998 World Series Champs

LA Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions

Seattle Seahawks - 2014 Super Bowl Champions

But alas...never I.
    1988, although 1998 would be cool, too.

What about 1981?? That was against the Yankees. huge win.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Although I can't claim an ABA Championship, I still count myself as extremely fortunate.

Dallas Cowboys: 92, 93 and 95.

Chicago Bulls: 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

NY Yankees: 96, 98, 99, 00, 09

NE Patriots: 01, 03, 04

LA Lakers: 00, 01, 02, 09, 10

Boston Redsox: 04, 07, 13

Boston Celtics: 08

Seattle Seahawks: 13

Philadelphia Stars: 84
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Although I can't claim an ABA Championship, I still count myself as extremely fortunate.

You should have listed the 9ers in there to continue with your theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post

Haha. Nicely done.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    1988, although 1998 would be cool, too.

What about 1981?? That was against the Yankees. huge win.
    True...but I don't remember the 1981 World Series.

We had just moved to Utah, and I don't remember what year my parents bought a new TV to replace the one we didn't bring with us.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    If the Jazz would play Alec Burks 35-40 minutes a night you'd only be a handful of months away.
    I thought we were tanking?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    The good folks at BYU-I salute you.
    I assume you mean BYU in 84, I was 6 and the only thing I remember from that season is throwing up popcorn at the point of the mountain coming back from a game. Not sure that counts.

I have a good memory, but not for football games when I was unaccountable.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

I was at the Phoenix parade after the Suns lost in the Finals in '92, baby!

I assume you mean BYU in 84, I was 6 and the only thing I remember from that season is throwing up popcorn at the point of the mountain coming back from a game. Not sure that counts.

I have a good memory, but not for football games when I was unaccountable.
    http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1068175

It's sparse.

Cougs 84 (seriously, Dec 21, 1984 is still one of the best days of my life)
    Jazz 97,98 Western Conference Champs (yes, I'm reaching here) I will say my most satisfying moment as a Jazz fan came after game 2 or 3 of the '98 WC Finals when Sam Cassell said post-game: "I have no idea how to beat these guys".

I was a Niners fan starting with the 82 super bowl win over the Bengals, but my fandom sort of cooled when Steve Young retired, so I feel a little guilty claiming those now.
    Last edited by venkman; 02-04-2014 at 09:54 PM.
    "Remember to double tap"

Quote Originally Posted by venkman View Post
    It's sparse.

Cougs 84 (seriously, Dec 21, 1984 is still one of the best days of my life)
    Jazz 97,98 Western Conference Champs (yes, I'm reaching here) I will say my most satisfying moment as a Jazz fan came after game 2 or 3 of the '98 WC Finals when Sam Cassell said post-game: "I have no idea how to beat these guys".
    The Jazz played LAL in the 98 WC finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    The Jazz played LAL in the 98 WC finals.
    oops, I mean Nick Van Exel, the other goofy looking bald dude
    "Remember to double tap"

Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar

3 Redskins Super Bowls for me, two that I remember clearly, one that I'm more hazy on. The Monday after they won the super bowl, the principal at my school got on the PA system and sang 'Hail to the Redskins.' Ah, the good ole days.

The Caps are the only other team locally that has come close, but got swept out of the cup finals in 98.

Here's hoping for a Nats rebound.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I thought we were tanking?
    No, we're doing OK, as we're in the third spot in the Western Conference.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Nebraska: 1994, 1995, 1997 : Lost Orange Bowl and National championship in 1983
    Red Sox: 2004, 2007, 2013 : Lost WS in 1975, 1986

49ers: 1981, 1984, 1988, 1989
    Celtics: 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986 : Lose NBA finals in 1985, 1987

Cowboys: 1992, 1993, 1995
    Mavericks: 2011 : Lost NBA finals in 2006

I'm primarily a college football and MLB fan. When I located to the Dallas area in 1990, decided to cheer for the local pro teams for football and basketball. For the past decade or longer, I've really cooled on the NFL and NBA and am admittedly a bandwagon Cowboys and Mavericks fan.
    Last edited by Paperback Writer; 02-05-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Nebraska: 1994, 1995, 1997 : Lost Orange Bowl and National championship in 1983
    Red Sox: 2004, 2007, 2013 : Lost WS in 1975, 1986

49ers: 1981, 1984, 1988, 1989
    Celtics: 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986 : Lose NBA finals in 1985, 1987

Cowboys: 1992, 1993, 1995
    Mavericks: 2011 : Lost NBA finals in 2006

I'm primarily a college football and MLB fan. When I located to the Dallas area in 1990, decided to cheer for the local pro teams for football and basketball. For the past decade or longer, I've really cooled on the NFL and NBA and am admittedly a bandwagon Cowboys and Mavericks fan.
    lol

The Raiders in 80 and 83. I was 6 and 9. BYU in 84. I was 10. The Braves in 95. I was 22. It's been 18 years between championships. I hate Yankee/Laker/Bulls/Red Sox/Patriot fans.