The Official Drought Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Canals and aqueducts alone don't make that much of a difference. More reservoirs would help, but would not have stopped a drought of this magnitude. As has been said, this is something that hasn't happened in 1200 years.

Siting and building a new reservoir is not as easy as you might think. However, there is another solution that is being used with increasing frequency: aquifer storage and recovery. Basically, you capture all that excess runoff in the spring (beyond what your current reservoirs can hold) that would otherwise get dumped into the ocean and you inject it into your aquifers. Then it sits there as a resource you can use when the next drought hits. You get all the benefit of a reservoir without having to build a dam. Some of these have been built in the Central Valley, and I am sure many more are on the way.
    The aquifer storage idea seems pretty cool. Of course, there is a bit of arsenic in Cali's ground water but maybe that would help to keep it at safe levels so folks will die off slower.

California could be in for a long dry spell... The last century has been the wettest there since the days of Adam (or about when he supposedly hopped off God's flying saucer with Eve):

California in 2013 received less rain than in any year since it became a state in 1850. And at least one Bay Area scientist says that based on tree ring data, the current rainfall season is on pace to be the driest since 1580 -- more than 150 years before George Washington was born. The question is: How much longer will it last?

A megadrought today would have catastrophic effects.

California, the nation's most populous state with 38 million residents, has built a massive economy, Silicon Valley, Hollywood and millions of acres of farmland, all in a semiarid area. The state's dams, canals and reservoirs have never been tested by the kind of prolonged drought that experts say will almost certainly occur again.

Stine, who has spent decades studying tree stumps in Mono Lake, Tenaya Lake, the Walker River and other parts of the Sierra Nevada, said that the past century has been among the wettest of the last 7,000 years.

Looking back, the long-term record also shows some staggeringly wet periods. The decades between the two medieval megadroughts, for example, delivered years of above-normal rainfall -- the kind that would cause devastating floods today.

The longest droughts of the 20th century, what Californians think of as severe, occurred from 1987 to 1992 and from 1928 to 1934. Both, Stine said, are minor compared to the ancient droughts of 850 to 1090 and 1140 to 1320.
    http://www.mercurynews.com/science/c...ve-lasted-more

Wow... a 200+ year drought. The good thing about this drought is the folks in California can now find where they left their mom's knitting chair:

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I would tell all those Californians to pull a reverse Clampett and go to Texas, but I'm not sure that's a great idea if one is trying to avoid a drought.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• A state appellate court rules tiered water rates illegal in California. Governor Brown is outraged. This should help conserve limited water.

http://www.signalscv.com/section/36/article/135855/

Comment

• Had a lady say to me today "With this drought I feel guilty because I drink so much water. It's all I drink and I drink water pretty much all day. I need to start conserving."

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            Had a lady say to me today "With this drought I feel guilty because I drink so much water. It's all I drink and I drink water pretty much all day. I need to start conserving."
            Just tell her to stop eating almonds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
              Just tell her to stop eating almonds.
              Have you seen the price of almonds lately? I had to cut back on my Trader Joe's chocolate covered almonds because the price has gone up so much.
              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• In my water district we are being required to cut our usage by 36% based on our 2013 usage. That would be fine except that I tore my lawns out in 2013 and began a move to drought tolerant front and back yards. So, my neighbors who were running their sprinklers 3 times a day and washing their driveways and sidewalks are the real winners here.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                  In my water district we are being required to cut our usage by 36% based on our 2013 usage. That would be fine except that I tore my lawns out in 2013 and began a move to drought tolerant front and back yards. So, my neighbors who were running their sprinklers 3 times a day and washing their driveways and sidewalks are the real winners here.
                  Lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                    In my water district we are being required to cut our usage by 36% based on our 2013 usage. That would be fine except that I tore my lawns out in 2013 and began a move to drought tolerant front and back yards. So, my neighbors who were running their sprinklers 3 times a day and washing their driveways and sidewalks are the real winners here.
                    I saw that some California public utilities are offering rebates for folks to rip out their lawns and to put in artificial grass. If they offered that kind of incentive here in Texas I would have most likely done it. If it is good enough for the Cowboys then it is good enough for me.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      I saw that some California public utilities are offering rebates for folks to rip out their lawns and to put in artificial grass. If they offered that kind of incentive here in Texas I would have most likely done it. If it is good enough for the Cowboys then it is good enough for me.

Vegas has been doing this for ten years.
                      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

I wish St. George had that offer back a couple years ago when I made my back yard a chipping and putting practice facility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post

Vegas has been doing this for ten years.
                          Most likely because California won't let you have much of their water out of their lake (Mead).
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            I wish St. George had that offer back a couple years ago when I made my back yard a chipping and putting practice facility.
                            We think alike.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• The LA temple lawn goes brown. That should piss God off enough to start making it rain.

http://www.latimes.com/local/westsid...511-story.html
                              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

We don't put up with that crap in Utah. Only the REAL stuff here!!!

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=34515302

Comment

Working...
                                X