The Official Drought Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Drought Thread

We are approaching what could be a catastrophic summer. California snowpack in the Sierras is 12% of normal. That is unreal. If this holds up, it could be the worst drought in 500 years.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Jef...?entrynum=2624

Hard to imagine all the impacts this will have. At a minimum, it would be devastating to the US ag industry. Expect ridiculous prices on food and lots and lots of forest fires.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I appreciate that she was able to provide the exact year (1580) of the last time we saw a drought of this severity.

never fear, grapevine is praying for moisture.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I appreciate that she was able to provide the exact year (1580) of the last time we saw a drought of this severity.

Tree rings.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Tree rings.
        Science, Bitches!
        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

At least our friend robin is doing his part by only flushing once a month.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Tree rings.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Y'all need to be praying for moisture...

We did and now things are looking much better down here… Here is what it use to look like:

2011 was a bitch.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I misread the title and thought it was another beer thread. Carry on.
                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

I don't remember any of you westerners fasting for our drought back in 2011, so I am afraid you are on your own.

Comment

There were some cattle we were to ship to California but do to drought couldn't. People there were selling and feeding cattle off truck when they normally don't have too. Snow pack all day yesterday. In Idaho I think most people that don't use well water can still get a good crop off. Some area's not able to plant crops that require longer water season. So will plant Wheat, Barley and get one or two crops of hay. Happened in past. No beets or potatoes in some places. Some domestic wells dried up too. Drought one year excess moisture next. Part of living in Idaho.

Comment

Targhee is leading all intermountain western ski resorts in snow this year. I think the irrigated farmers who pull off the Snake River system will be OK. While the San Joaquin Valley burns, RC Vikings and I will proclaim: "LET THEM EAT SPUDS!"

I have seen dust storms in January. I will lose weight on behalf of our local farmers, but nobody ever fasts for folks to pay for their telco services!
                      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

It's strange to be watering the grass in January. That's usually the one month we get a little rain around here.
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                          It's strange to be watering the grass in January. That's usually the one month we get a little rain around here.
                          In my communtiy in north Texas, we are only allowed to water lawns twice a month and on assigned days. The two things my Freshman BYU student mentioned he liked about Utah 1) lush lawns 2) Snow. I think he recently took snow off his list.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                            In my communtiy in north Texas, we are only allowed to water lawns twice a month and on assigned days. The two things my Freshman BYU student mentioned he liked about Utah 1) lush lawns 2) Snow. I think he recently took snow off his list.
                            And we haven't had too much snow this year.

Comment

Yikes. Megadroughts lasting 100 to 200 years? Say goodbye to Southern California is that's the case. The SEC will come to dominate even more.

Comment

Working...
                              X