Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 361 to 390 of 398

Thread: The Official Drought Thread

  1. #361

    Default

    The local tv channels are currently breaking the news that all of the schools in Oroville will be closed tomorrow.

    In other, unrelated news, tomorrow is Lincoln's observed bday, and all area schools were already going to be closed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #362
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,727

    Default

    Don't let the facts get in the way of a story.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  3. #363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    The local tv channels are currently breaking the news that all of the schools in Oroville will be closed tomorrow.

    In other, unrelated news, tomorrow is Lincoln's observed bday, and all area schools were already going to be closed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Our kids don't have tomorrow off. They only have Presidents' Day.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  4. #364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    Our kids don't have tomorrow off. They only have Presidents' Day.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We live an hour away and have tomorrow off. I just looked at their calendar. They have the schedule that we are switching to next year. Regular classes on Lincoln's bday and then get all of the following week off. A second spring break. Pretty sweet gig.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #365
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Don't let the facts get in the way of a story.
    You sure you ain't Southern?
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  6. #366
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    12,126

    Default

    On this date two years ago, our local paper featured a memorable photo of state water authorities taking a routine measurement of the snowpack in the Sierra--the photo showed nothing but bare ground. It was pretty depressing, since there should have been at least 5-6 feet of snow at that point. They took a similar measurement yesterday at the same spot, and it revealed 20 feet of snow. More importantly, our lawns look great!

  7. #367
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    On this date two years ago, our local paper featured a memorable photo of state water authorities taking a routine measurement of the snowpack in the Sierra--the photo showed nothing but bare ground. It was pretty depressing, since there should have been at least 5-6 feet of snow at that point. They took a similar measurement yesterday at the same spot, and it revealed 20 feet of snow. More importantly, our lawns look great!
    Dam it!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  8. #368
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    On this date two years ago, our local paper featured a memorable photo of state water authorities taking a routine measurement of the snowpack in the Sierra--the photo showed nothing but bare ground. It was pretty depressing, since there should have been at least 5-6 feet of snow at that point. They took a similar measurement yesterday at the same spot, and it revealed 20 feet of snow. More importantly, our lawns look great!
    But you will be living in California del Este, while the snowpack will belong to Nevada. We're going to charge you for all that green lawn!
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  9. #369
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,472

    Default

    One of the guys I work with has a house that backs up to the south channel of the river. He was showing us pictures yesterday that the river had breached the retaining wall about 15 feet from the corner of his house. The retaining wall is about 50-75 feet from the typical edge of the river. Apparently there was a warning that went out to those living near the river that some levees might not hold.

    He's not too worried for a couple different reasons. First, the levees did fail once about a decade ago (the last time the water breached his retaining wall). The levee failure diverted water away from his house. In fact, he said the water level dropped so quickly near his house that there were several fish that were stranded on the newly dry ground. Also, assuming no levee failure, there's still another 2 or 3 feet of elevation the river would have to climb to get to his house, and that would be a massive amount of water.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  10. #370
    Senior Member dabrockster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    8,786

    Default

    From SFGate.com:

    It's been 11 years since this happened to Lake Tahoe, and it's beautiful

    http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Lak...d=email-mobile

    Tahoe is brimming, nearly full for the first time in 11 years, and stunningly beautiful in all its blue-water glory.



    Sent from my iPhone


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #371
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,472

    Default

    So is California in the clear now?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  12. #372

  13. #373
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,668

    Default

    So the Medici's built an aqueduct to bring in fresh water to Paris, to their Luxembougian gardens. It is unusually difficult to find out about this aqueduct on the internet because the articles are usually about the Medici aqueduct in Italy, not Paris, and the Parisian articles are either focused on the Medici fountains- not the aqueduct, or are in french. I have a strange obsession with aqueducts of antiquity, ever since I read Blind White Fish in Persia, about the qanats of Iran. If you have an english source on the Medici Aqueducts in Paris, please share a link. I would love to visit some of the pumping stations in paris, or the actual aqueducts in Southern Paris. Thanks!

  14. #374
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    So the Medici's built an aqueduct to bring in fresh water to Paris, to their Luxembougian gardens. It is unusually difficult to find out about this aqueduct on the internet because the articles are usually about the Medici aqueduct in Italy, not Paris, and the Parisian articles are either focused on the Medici fountains- not the aqueduct, or are in french. I have a strange obsession with aqueducts of antiquity, ever since I read Blind White Fish in Persia, about the qanats of Iran. If you have an english source on the Medici Aqueducts in Paris, please share a link. I would love to visit some of the pumping stations in paris, or the actual aqueducts in Southern Paris. Thanks!



    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  15. #375
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post


    I just looked up the location for this. It was in Jouy en Josas. It’s about 5km south of Paris. I was there to help with a birthday party and ended up cross dressing but I can’t exactly remember why.

    In any case, I wonder if this is one of the aqueducts that KL is looking for.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  16. #376
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    So the Medici's built an aqueduct to bring in fresh water to Paris, to their Luxembougian gardens. It is unusually difficult to find out about this aqueduct on the internet because the articles are usually about the Medici aqueduct in Italy, not Paris, and the Parisian articles are either focused on the Medici fountains- not the aqueduct, or are in french. I have a strange obsession with aqueducts of antiquity, ever since I read Blind White Fish in Persia, about the qanats of Iran. If you have an english source on the Medici Aqueducts in Paris, please share a link. I would love to visit some of the pumping stations in paris, or the actual aqueducts in Southern Paris. Thanks!
    I have now forgotten anything about the aqueducts and am wondering about Mol's cross dressing. How do you do that accidentally?

  17. #377
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I have now forgotten anything about the aqueducts and am wondering about Mol's cross dressing. How do you do that accidentally?
    Rohypnol
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  18. #378
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,472

    Default

    Is there any drought anywhere anymore?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  19. #379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Is there any drought anywhere anymore?
    Not here. Most snow ever in the month of February for Bend. And only one county in Oregon is less than 100% of normal.

  20. #380
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,426

    Default

    By that chart, if Hartsville had a mountain, we'd have 390" of snow.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  21. #381
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    By that chart, if Hartsville had a mountain, we'd have 390" of snow.
    The mountain near here has 606".

    https://www.mammothmountain.com/wint...in-information

  22. #382
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,013

    Default

    Stay cold Utah, so lake Mead can get refilled.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  23. #383
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    2,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Stay cold Utah, so lake Mead can get refilled.
    First we'll fill Powell and then maybe if there is any left over Mead can get a drop or two. Screw Las Vegas!

  24. #384
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    First we'll fill Powell and then maybe if there is any left over Mead can get a drop or two. Screw Las Vegas!
    Powell will never be filled. Way too much water loss from having that lake around. Time to drain it and keep it all in Lake Mead.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  25. #385
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Powell will never be filled. Way too much water loss from having that lake around. Time to drain it and keep it all in Lake Mead.
    Mead will never be filled. Way too much water loss from having that lake around. Time to drain it and keep it all in Lake Powell.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  26. #386
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Mead will never be filled. Way too much water loss from having that lake around. Time to drain it and keep it all in Lake Powell.
    Mead is California's lake. For that reason alone, they'll never drain Mead.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  27. #387

    Default

    Having moved from Arizona decades ago, I don't have to worry about water supplies much as I used to. Sorry for you southwestern people who moved to desert climates and are now nervous about shrinking reservoirs!

    Even though we're in the high desert, Bend gets essentially all of it's water supply from snow melt. Half from a creek source, and half from an aquafier that's recharged by melting snow into a porous basin. They are both replenished each year as long as we get normal snowfall. Local agriculture depends somewhat on reservoir supplies.

  28. #388
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    2,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Mead is California's lake. For that reason alone, they'll never drain Mead.
    Screw California too!

  29. #389
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    2,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Having moved from Arizona decades ago, I don't have to worry about water supplies much as I used to. Sorry for you southwestern people who moved to desert climates and are now nervous about shrinking reservoirs!

    Even though we're in the high desert, Bend gets essentially all of it's water supply from snow melt. Half from a creek source, and half from an aquafier that's recharged by melting snow into a porous basin. They are both replenished each year as long as we get normal snowfall. Local agriculture depends somewhat on reservoir supplies.
    And Oregon. Screw Oregon too for good measure!

  30. #390
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Even though we're in the high desert, Bend gets essentially all of it's water supply from snow melt. Half from a creek source, and half from an aquafier that's recharged by melting snow into a porous basin. They are both replenished each year as long as we get normal snowfall. Local agriculture depends somewhat on reservoir supplies.
    How is that different from how Utah and Arizona get their water? It all comes from rain and snow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •